Ok, just got a metric fuckton of indian spices.... And I have no fucking clue what more than half of this is...

Ok, just got a metric fuckton of indian spices.... And I have no fucking clue what more than half of this is. Any kind souls care to help me, please?

Do you have any eggs?

How did you get them user?.

Neighbor in my apartment moved out, and gave them to me.

A lot of it just looks like chickpeas and various lentils, peas and beans

The pink powder taste like sulfur, and it has a smaller bag of cloves with it

No you're absolutely right, a lot of different peas, but there are some spices in here that I've never even seen before

Beans and legumes are peasant foods. BUT, if you have some tasty to go with it you can make a decent chili. I recommend making that.

enjoy your police raid in a couple of days, never to see freedom again

Plus that big old bag of cocane. Nice score!

Do you realize how much coke that would be? Not even a poo in the loo would drop millions of dollars in moving.

For spices?

Two bags of sugar, 1 bag of tapioca pearls, I think two bags of toasted coconut, and one bag of potato cousin flakes

Not much by my standards...

The pink stuff is black salt. Post more close-ups of individual bags if you want help.

This though. It smells similar to Grahm Masala, but, idk. Beautiful.

It's just garam masala that hasn't been ground up, thus prolonging it's shelf life.

If it tastes _aggressively_ of sulfur, as in, rotting eggs and burnt garlic, it's probably asafoetida. Do you know if your neighbor was a Jain?

The bag three left and one up from that bag, full of brownish-gold power (up and right from the yellow split peas) looks like amchoor. This smells like toffee, but tastes sour and fruity, it's dried green mango flesh, and is used in samosas and chat.

Asafoetida is usually either whitish or yellow (when cut with turmeric), that pink stuff is definitely kala namak (black salt).

My nigga.
Here you go.
I THINK this is awashapwana(?)
Came with the bag of garlicky tasting almost couscous

Asafoetida looks a little like that when it's ground from the solid resin, but I admit it's quite a dark pink for asafoetida, I assumed that was just the photo quality. Why would you keep black salt in a bag with cloves though?

You just made me so happy.
They didn't talk where they were from, they were very broken English

Those are chickpeas on the left. Very tasty as a snack if you roast them.

Bottom left is mung bean
Bottom right is cowpea (I think)
Not sure what that bag above them is, that looks like groats
Also not sure what that thing that looks like a cross between a mushroom and garlic is

Absolutely taste like rotten eggs and sulfur, I have no idea why they put it with clove and, I have no idea how to cook Indian, I plan on learning now lol.
The score powder stuff was with a bag of tamarind at least I think it was tamarind and smells kind of like a mix between Ginger and pepper slightly spicy, almost an earth taste

Hard to tell because of the blurring. If dried-fruit stuff in this picture is sour tasting, it's tamarind flesh, another component of chat masala, and used to make a kickass chutney.

I'm almost certain that mushroom garlic looking thing is called awashapwana.
For however it's spelled. It smells just like it, absolutely nothing else tastes like this. It's almost like a chai spice and a plum mated with a little bit of molasses it's so good

I guess you're right I guess it is tamarind which means this stuff in here is probably the same way it's kind of sweet taste like lemon tea almost

I am actually inclined to agree with though, it's more likely to be ground black salt (also smells like rotten eggs, less like garlic though) than asafoetida, because thinking about it, that would be a _lot_ of uncut asafoetida. A rock of resin the size of your thumb is like a month's supply for an Indian family.

I guess the easiest way to tell would just be to try it, if it's salty it's black salt.

Yeah something tells me that a toothpick head sized amount is enough for a whole dish am I close?

The stuff was crazy overpowering I had to spit it out immediately. I was not ready for it. But just for you, I tried it again, taste like rotten eggs and garlic. Himalayan salt pink overpowering AF

I'm just going to go ahead and say it's black salt anyways. You guys know what you're talking about when it comes to like how much is used in a family, and this is about a pound of it, so it's Gotta Be black salt

Oh my God Gave Me a Crazy stomach ache though. How am I going to be okay?

Black salt is actually supposed to be soothing for your stomach, at least according to Ayurvedic principles.

Maybe I did something wrong? Lol.

Here's a great use for that black salt.

Then make this salad with it, it's very unique and delicious.

Hugs bro no homo

You're welcome, pal. Also, vegans use black salt on tofu to simulate eggs, because of the sulphuric smell.

but why?

>metric fuckton of indian spices
Only like a third of that shit is spices dude. Half of it is legumes.

You've got a couple months worth of dal and a good while's worth of spices if you buy other meats and vegetables to use. If any of those bags are flour you can make various Indian breads too. Think of stuff you want to eat and look for the right spices to go with them. Homemade Indian food is more about using what's available or what you like and making it taste good than getting any particular recipe right. If you want something simple I recommend using the chickpeas to make chole/channa masala (I prefer the small brown Desi channa over the larger yellow Kabuli, but most westerners are more familiar with Kabuli) or the masoor dal (split red lentil) to make a simple yellow dal fry. You could also make green peas masala which is a favorite but it's not as easy to get it right due to the peas' sweetness. The black bag looks like urad dal, which is fermented with rice to make South Indian staples like idli, vada and dosa, but can also be cooked and eaten itself.

I can't tell the two yellow dals you have apart very well, but thicker more vibrant yellow ones are channa which is good for curries and great for grinding up into a base for sweets. The smaller, pale, dry yellow ones are toor, and are better for stews and souplike dishes like sambar. Not everybody likes cloves and cumin, and they're mostly for aroma, so use to taste. The amchoor should also be used to taste, and will make things fruity/sour without being sweet and is basically a dry alternative to tamarind paste. This makes it easier to use in fried foods. I personally don't like coconut but some people swear by it, so use it as much as you like. I'm not too familiar with using tapioca pearls, but they do make a good base for sweets. Looks like other anons covered most of the rest. If you got unground garam masala you've probably got some good shit there. I'm pretty jealous to be honest.

>spices
>nuts
>beans
>rice
>peas
>lentils
are you retarded?