Can someone tell me what these Australian pies taste like? Is it like beef stew, or more of a chili...

Can someone tell me what these Australian pies taste like? Is it like beef stew, or more of a chili? Is ketchup really good on top of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DeK8ixPBvzY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that gravy looks super tasty, fuck that ketchup though

I think it would be better with some thick Worcestershire sauce or maybe A1.

It depends. supermarket pies are usually cheap minced meat and gravy.

bakery pies are like stew.

you can get different flavours though. my favorites are mushroom or curry pies.

>tfw darbys pies arent $1 any more

it's a different type of gravy though. not the type that would go on your roast dinner. but it's like pie gravy. and it goes great with ketchup.

it's hard to explain but if you're going for frozen pies you want to get sergeants or four and twenty.

but yea aussie pie gravy tastes nothing like normal gravy

Looks like sloppy joe or bbq sauce kinda

I spent 3 months in Australia about 12 years ago, and the meat pies were probably the greatest part of the trip, trumping hot sex with a qt asian. They come in many varieties and quality ranges from shit-tier gas station pies, (still tasty,) to godly pie shop pies. They even put whipped potatoes on top of some varieties. Ketchup is amazing with most of these pies, the sweetness wonderfully counterbalances the savory meat and gravy. I wanted to open a pie shop in the US, but I've been beaten to the punch.

If I had to choose a new foreign food to catch on in the States, it’d be Upsidedownland or Bongistan meat pies.

Inflation was a mistake.

There are a few places in CA that are championing this. It's possible that they could take off.

where?

Fucking look at all you dumb fucking seppos.
No one in Australia puts ketchup on pies.
You put tomato sauce on pies, you stupid yank cunts.

Like stew. 'Chili' is something confined to weak american tastebuds.
Big chunks of meat in a trhick gravy, with added tasties such as kidney or cheese.

i have been so accustomed to it, that i forgot that its not outside of australia.
The best way to describe it is a handheld pie, filled with browned mince meat and gravy, best enjoyed in the morning with a coffee and a jps rolled cigarette, complaining to darron about the shitty $12.50 appreticeship wages and how your girlfriend Meredith didn't pull last night.

Normally it's ground beef or very small cubes of beef in a very savory gravy. The ketchup on top adds some sweetness and acidity, really balances everything out. From a bakery, they normally have standard beef, some kind of curry, maybe some lamb, and often a barbecue. The lamb ones are usually A+, their barbecue is always shit. Curry depends entirely on the place.

t. Americlap who spent too fucking long in Australia before going to the much nicer NZ.

CA is California

This

stop trying to impress foreigners you silly cunt heaps of people put sauce on pies dickhead

>much nicer NZ
Be careful poof

Steak and kidney is my absolute fucking favourite i could eat them for every meal

NZ pies are way better you know it. Thai green curry from a BP petrol station > Your whole poofter country.
I like a butter chicken pie for breakfast.

Stop talking shit and go to bed you little sheep rapist

I like steak and kidney btw

Read his post fuckstain, he specifically said
>No one in Australia puts ketchup on pies
>You put tomato sauce on pies
It's a joke about how no-one calls it ketchup here.

Do you have reading problems?

rack off cunt
your joke was shithouse

Kiwis have more variety pies over there. No one just asks for a meat pie. It's either mince or steak. Then they have all the usual suspects but then they have a whole bunch of weird ones that are pretty common like smoked fish, butter chicken, lamb and mint, even a hangi pie shit like that.

>not squirting it in through the top

What's nicer about NZ vs AU?

Gluten/dairy/meat free trends stand in the way of meat pies entering the ca food zeitgeist at the moment. Denver would be a better spot. Maybe Seattle or Portland too. It's really more of a cold weather dish.

Thanks for the insight. I'm in New England, which is conducive to cold weather foods.

ITT: triggered bogan fucktards

I'd love to try the pie in vid related.

youtu.be/DeK8ixPBvzY

>even a hangi pie
How the fuck does that work?
Do they actually cook the whole pie in a hangi? Or is it just the meat/filling thats cooked in the ground and then put in to the pastry?

>not carefully taking the top off, then mixing the sauce into the meat

Fuck all that effort just jab the sauce bottle through the top a couple of times and give it a squeeze I swear it's the main reason aussie tomato sauce bottles are shaped like pic related

Just the filling, pork and potato and watercress etc, probably don't use the ground but some kind of setup like this for the commercial ones as putting one down in the ground is pretty labour intensive and more of a special occasion thing

>fuck the ketchup though
Dont be saying that shit too loud down here if you come.

If you put ketchup on pies and not proper tomato sauce you should get outta my country