I really liked this... What should I read next? Any other books similar to this?

I really liked this... What should I read next? Any other books similar to this?

Bump you bastards

read it again
or V. by Thomas Pynchon
or the Puttermesser Papers by Cynthia Ozick
or Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

idk who cares

DFW was heavily inspired by Delillo, so IJ

Hasn't aged as much as one would expect. Surprisingly lucid in its approach to found a grounding for media. Much of McLuhan's thoughts here are based heavily in literary studies.

>What should I read next?
More DeLillo?

marshall mcluhan is a god damn pseud

I have grown skeptical of this despite enjoying the little snips of his book so far. What makes you say that specifically?

well the thing that should set off a redflag is that when he published his book "The Medium Is The Massage" which was supposed to mean medium is what makes you comfortable and receptive to the message, but everyone misquoted it and called it "The Medium Is The Message" he was like "oh, yes, yes, the medium is the message!" and just ate up the fame instead of saying "no, that's wrong". just read some of his shit, it's just not that good, i mean I guess if you've never studied media or communication or something before you'll get something out of it, but there's not much there

>well the thing that should set off a redflag is that when he published his book "The Medium Is The Massage" which was supposed to mean medium is what makes you comfortable and receptive to the message, but everyone misquoted it and called it "The Medium Is The Message" he was like "oh, yes, yes, the medium is the message!" and just ate up the fame instead of saying "no, that's wrong"
what the fuck are you talking about

How could i not have seen this before. Truly genius.

this is literally a pseud talking about mcluhan. like literally the most superficial comment you could possibly make about his work. good job family.

It's a mistranscription of "The MIDI, umm... Is the massage...?" He was trying to dodge a question about the state of music synthesizers communication protocols--which he wasn't really that knowledgeable about--by attempting to ask about the post-press conference massage be had been promised by the sponsors.

tell me something "not superficial" from mcluhan then oh master of mcluhan studies...everything i've read from him was shit

you have this entirely backwards
the original title was intended as "The Medium Is The Message" because of course that's the title that's his fucking thesis
"Massage" was a typo but mcluhan said roll with it it's funny and somewhat insightful bc yes it makes you receptive etc.

just because he wrote accessibly for a mass market doesn't mean his ideas aren't of value

Thanks user

you haven't read anything from him you anonymous liar

this

user is a fuckboi

still waiting for you to share some deep mcluhan media insights bro

>art is anything you can get away with

lol pass the bong dude fucking gotta get a mcluhan poster for my dorm at art school yeeaaah

fucking kys

Nobody is going to engage you because it's obvious that any "deep mcluhan media insights" would go over your pea brain anyway.

Read Mao II, then Libra, then Underworld, and finally Ratner's Star.

Everything else he wrote is good, because he is a gifted writer, but superfluous.

Thank you my dude

>Read Mao II
this

its his best work imho

American was better.

*Americana

Americana was trash

OP don't waste your time with Americana

>couldn't get into White Noise
>really enjoyed Cosmopolis

which one should I turn next?

I recommend everyone to watch the Don Delillo (about him and by him) on youtube. I think it's a masterpiece. I unironically do.

Outside of that Mao II and Libra are fantastic works.