What are some quintessential poor people foods?

What are some quintessential poor people foods?

>cook cut up hot dogs
>add several eggs and scramble hot dogs into the egg
>top off with pregrated cheese if you have some
serve over toast, makes a nice filling meal

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tushonka
youtube.com/watch?v=f0KcoZhG3oE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>hot dogs
>pregrated cheese
There's being poor and there's whatever this is.

>hot dogs
>spicy tomato sauce
>Tortillas
OPTIONAL: diced onions and cilantro

Fry some cut up hot dogs first, then pour the tomato sauce in and let simmer for a bit. Add the onion and cilantro at this point if needed. Serve and eat with tortillas.

>Cubed potatoes in oven at 450F for 20 mins
>grated block cheese on top
>brown gravy from packet

Unemployment poutine

>cheap beef bologna from deli
>generic american cheese slices
>cheapass white bread

Sear bologna on a hot cast iron until gud an' brown on both sides, set aside. Make a grilled cheese, but add bologna to sandwich.

Better than you think.

american singles are like $4 for 16 slices, that's hardly poor people food

OP is a fag, anyone who knows how to cook can make good food for cheap

Yeah, if you're getting Kraft. Try $2 if you get generics. If it sucks that bad, add a pinch of kosher salt.

>2 cups chopped onions
>1 cup chopped celery
>1 cup chopped carrots
>1 glove of garlic
>2 cups beans
>Salt & pepper
>2 cups of water
>Serve over rice

at that price you're only gonna find "american-flavored imitation sandwich slices"
they're worse than actual singles because they're actual plastic with no milk protein to speak of

You're missing the point of the thread, then. Poorfags don't give a fuck about what's in what they buy -- It only matters if it keeps them alive and tastes like food.

In Russia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tushonka

grated cheese can be found cheap if you get imitation cheese, newer iterations of fake cheese are formulated to melt

also, someone post that pic of bar-s franks being $0.25 each

even as a poorfag making $7.25/hr I could not stoop to imitation pre-grated cheese. Didn't stop me from getting the imitation slices, though.

Bar-S was my shit (and genuine shit) during that time, used to split and sear them sometimes for breakfast if I had eggs when I did work-from-home tech support. The only thing I miss is being drunk on Tampico screwdrivers at 5AM.

>Macaroni & Cottage Cheese w/ Black Pepper

nice carbonara recipe OP, upvoted

Spaghetti with cheap pre-made sauce is everywhere.
Ground beef everything from red sauce pasta to not quite stroganoff is popular.
If you're looking for things actually effective, soups and stews are most cost to benefit.

anything processed as much as hot dogs is not poor people food, it's poor retarded people food
a really poor person should eat mainly rice, oatmeal, beans, lentils, eggs, cheapest dairy and vegetables and discounted meat

It seems you've forgotten that most people don't cook anymore. It would be nice were we all able to leverage these ingredients, but most poorfags are too drunk/lazy/stressed to bother learning how to cook.

Oh and I forgot, chili is very calorie and protein dense. And with the cheese, sour cream, and beans you get a ton of nutrients. And it's easy to make.

Foraged roots and fruits, beans, rice and vegetables, occasional rodent meat if one of your snares turns something up.
Dairy and meat are for the bourgeoisie middle-lower class unless you are an entitled old money family who have goats or sheep.
>Buying food at a store.
>Having money.
Your not poor.
You are just told you are.

Yeah, that's not the point.
The point is you can still eat real food while poor.

People that eat like that are homeless, addicts or trailer trash.

Are you a Civil War reenactor or just full blown autistic?

Autistic people are more likely to foraging behaviors...

No, I lived off the grid as a child for 4 years. We squatted in an abandoned cabin out in the sticks in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
No running water, no electricity, no income.
We did trade work for staples sometimes, but mostly we just foraged, set snares, and chopped wood for heat, you know.... survived.
Eventually when we got old enough to go to school, our mother moved us into a small town a couple of hours away.
Honestly, joining civilization was a lot harder than existing outside of it. Nature is predictable, humans are not.

>refried frozen chicken nuggets
>box macaroni and hot dogs
>Arby's

Horrifying if true

guys which one of these combos is cheaper per meal

>potatos and butter
>rice butter and garlic (cheapest form)
>bread and butter

That doesn't sound like poor people food, that just sounds like being a shitty cook.

I'm a SUPER poorfag with only $15 a week to spend on food for 3 meals a day, 7 times a week.

All I eat are rice, eggs, and beans. Yet I can do so many things with it.

Cooking rice and adding egg, soy sauce, pepper and a little ketchup is delicious, and splurging for a can of chicken makes it even better.

Haha my dude if people knew half the shit some people have to go through to survive they wouldn't bitch at all about their cushy lives.
Socio-economically speaking we were probably in the 99% percentile for poverty. My mom didn't even take welfare, food stamps, or child support, she was too proud. She just knew homesteading techniques because she grew up on ranch.

Really the hardest thing was socializing after growing up knowing like 10 different people ever. Kids are little fucks as it is, having to join a community of a couple hundred of them when school started was a harrowing experience.

youtube.com/watch?v=f0KcoZhG3oE

So autistic then

Why is it so hard for you to believe that poverty exists?

Just sustain yourself on cans of nutmeat. Everyone knows that the superfood of everlasting life is Nutmeat.

Per 100g:

Protein: 24.4g
Fat, Total: 9.3g
-- Saturated: 1.1g
-- Trans Fat: 0g
-- Monounsaturated: 6.3g
-- Polyunsaturated: 1.9g
Cholesterol: 0g
Carbohydrate, Total: 4g
-- Sugars: 0.8g
Dietary Fibre: 2.2g
Sodium: 335mg
Potassium: 140mg
Vitamin B12: 2.0μg
Iron: 3.5mg
Zinc: 4.4mg

and now you're on Veeky Forums, shoulda stayed in the cabin

>living in the wilderness because you were raised by lunatics
>poverty
No, that's mental illness.

anyone got something informative about lentils/dried beans? I'm trying to beef up my rice routine

Fair enough lol
>raised by lunatics
Lunatic, singular.
But she wasn't crazy, she was just stubborn.
Kind of have to be when you are raising 3 kids by yourself after being disowned by your family.
Sure, we didn't have a lot of luxuries, but we had each other. A lot of people don't understand how fulfilling that can be, or how positive of an outlook it can impart when you start having better circumstances.
I live like a king now comparatively, even though most people would still consider me lower class, I am fucking stoked.

L E G U M E S & R I C E

This guy knows what's up

Depends on where your live, prices in your grocery store, the time of the year, which brands you buy and what you can salvage from supermarket trashcans.
You also know what's up

Meat? Eggs? Cheese? This is not poor person's food. Poor people eat potatoes and porridge.

Why do all poor people eat macaroni and cheese with ketchup?

Because that's the stereotype you have in your head and you're prejudiced against people with a lower social class or income than you.
I am poor and know a lot of poor people, and I've never witnessed anyone eating mac&cheese with ketchup.

>has never experienced the glory of mac + ketchup

Pumpkins.

Poutine.
>Tfw can't find cheese curds anywhere

tuna+mayo+sandwich bread+(Cucumber)

>spaghetti
>butter
>parmesan
>pepper

The cheapest spaghetti with the cheapest meat and a ketchup-based sauce. Food for gods. Nowadays I just buy frozen vegetables and pan-fry that with whatever meat I find while dumpster diving, which is less good but means I only spend the equivalent of four dollars a week on food.

>pasta
>25 cents can of sardines with tomato sauce
Ate once a day for less than a dollar. The rest of my money went to alcohol. Priorities

Wow, sounds like some straight-up child abuse, it's cool that you learned some shit from it but still pretty fucked-up.

Soups, stews, scrambles, hash, pasta. Anything you can make with a potato.

>Scrambled eggs
>Carbonara

Mexifag here, lived in the US all my life.
I feel like poor white people don't understand the glory of beans when you're poor.
Raw pinto beans are cheap as fuck, versatile, and filling.

They only sell hard beans here or beans in a can.
The hard dry beans take hours to rehydrate and no one has time for that

He said poor people food, not food you should be eating if you're poor

Do you realize you can do other things while they soak? You don't have to stand there and watch them.

boxed "insant" side dishes that are like 120 calories per 1/4 cup. Hamburger Helper, Betty Crocker Potatoes, etc.

>Come home from 12 hour shift
>Hungry as fuck
>Put beans out to soak for 6 hours
>Have to wake up in the middle of the night to eat supper
Yeah, no surprise that no one does this
Beans are good for the "Sit on the stoop and collect welfare" type poor, but not for working poor

That's the point, you stick them in a huge ass pot with water and salt and yeah they take all day, but it's not like you have to watch them.
And you make a fuck ton and eat them all week with whatever else you have available.
It's no different from using a slow cooker.

are you actually retarded? Do you not have the mental capacity of fore-thought?

Why not put them out to soak before you go to work you fucking idiot?

Because if they soak for too long they turn into paste

Make 5 pounds of beans on your one day off.
In your mind do poor people not have refrigerators? Or can they just not afford forethought?

Beans don't turn to paste sitting in water for 12 hours. I have to wonder if you have ever made beans in your life.

>have literally one day off
>you can soak 3lbs of beans while you kick around doing whatever
and guess what, you don't have to use all 3lbs at once! you can set them aside, readied for later use in the week!
Whoah!

Or have a salad, or rice, or pasta or a million other simple things because you're obviously completely incapable of prep or planning.

Not true. Southernfag here, navy beans, ham and cornbread was a regular meal of my youth.

I made a very inexpensive meal today.

Spam arepas with canned tomatoes and hot sauce

Why hot dogs?

How much are hot dogs compared to chicken in US?

Chicken is the most expensive meat in America

wat

Well aside from luxury cuts, you can get basic beef and pork at half the price of chicken breast

My favorite poorfag dish is Spaghetti Aglio Olio,

500g spaghetti (0,50€)
a chunk of butter (0,20€)
an entire head of Garlic (0,80)
fresh or dry chillis (0,50€)
fresh or frozen parsley (0.30€)
100ml extra vergine olive oil (1,00€)
a lot of freshly ground pepper (0.30€)
100g pre-grated parmigiano (1,80€)
salt

totals at about 5€ and lasts for 2 meals at 20g protein per meal.

>chicken breast

well there you go, try thighs theyre better and cheaper

Thighs are better, but not cheaper.

What shithole do you live in where thighs are more expensive than chicken breast? I can find them for 99 cents/lb at most supermarkets. Breast averages about 2.49/lb.

Dog/cat food isn't actually that good of a value. Comes out to 100, 200 calories per can, you'd have to be eating several cans every day to get anywhere nutrition-wise. Same with shit like potted meat or vienna sausages, they're classic "poor food" but are in such small quantities that they'r actually kind of a ripoff.
If you need meat bite the bullet and buy a large brick of poverty ground beef, and freeze it. It will last a while.

Breast is usually around $14+/lb, thighs the same.
Canada sucks, mate

WAY too much oil, and honestly too many calories [spoiler]at least for me
[/spoiler]
also you have about 60 g Protein, but over 160 g carbs (not counting the garlic) and over 140 g fat. so if you were to eat that you would need to work out a lot not go full hamplanet.

Leafs Btfo. It's $1.80 for premium boneless/skinless here

There is literally nothing that sells for that price.
Maybe except for pork bones

Where does one find Dumpster meat? All my favorite dumpsters just have bread and sometimes jars and canned food with dents.

Jesus fucking christ. Thighs are less than $1/lb here in Texas.

big if true

i do and i am not poor

I like Aldi hot dogs. They're 79c/lb.
By law, no processed meat may contain more than 10% water nor more than 3.5% filler, 1% salt or .5% other stuff, so hot dogs are at least 85% meat-alike. I say 'meat-alike' because mechanically separated meat (MSM) from poultry, which is used in most hot dogs, contains bone fragments and cartilage. By law, there's no such thing as MSM beef and hot dogs are not allowed to contain more than 20% MSM derived from pork. Ergo, it's hard to say how much actual meat is in hot dogs, but considering that hot dogs average 10% protein across brands and most cooked meats average 23% protein, I would guess they're around 43% meat. This means that you'd have to spend $1.83 on Aldi's cheap-ass hot dogs to get 1lb of meat.

Chicken is on offer this weekend at Save a Lot for $3.90 for 10lbs of leg quarters and that's the cheapest price you'll find. Leg quarters are about 45% meat once the skin, bone, cartilage and separable fat are removed, so the meat turns out to be 87c/lb. However, the skin and fat can be rendered for cooking grease and the bones and cartilage can be saved for stock-making.
Pork shoulder is 88c/lb this week and that's about 65% meat once the skin and bone are removed so the meat winds up being $1.36/lb.

Conclusion: hot dogs, though delicious, are not economical.

>hot dogs
>delicious
mate?

Peanut Butter and Onion on White Bread

butcherfag here who works at a small store.
Breast- 3.19/lbs
thighs- 2.79/lbs
cutlets- 3.49/lbs
whole splits- 1.79/lbs
-pork
chops- 3.49/lbs
bone-in chops- 2.99/lbs
tenderloin- 3.99/lbs
trimmed ribs- 2.49/lbs
-beef
sirloin- 4.99/lbs
most roasts are 2.99-5.99/lbs
porterhouse/ribeye/delmonic- 10.99/lbs
flank/flatiron- 4.99/lbs
tenderloin- 18.99/lbs
-turkey
shadybrook- .57/lbs
butterball- .99/lbs

and so on and so on and so on.

Oops bone-in pork chops and country style ribs are actually 1.99/lbs.

a step up from the wish sandwich.
Two pieces of bread and wish you had something to put between them.

nigga, dem shits be delicious, don't h8

>cucumber
>poor

The nutrients/calorie to price ratio is awful

I live in Yellowknife and it's less than that, where the fucking hell do you live?

That would be very salty.

You can balance it out by adding hash browns and also I would ass some cubed tomatoes for some acidity.

>That would be very salty.
That just makes it fit in with poor people food.

Here's one of my favorites:

7-12 pre-baked potatoes, chopped
3 cups cheap meat (hot dogs, hot doggish smoked sausages, ham, spam, etc), chopped
1 large onion or bunched green onions
1 large green pepper
1 large red pepper
1 head broccoli, chopped
1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
Season-all

Mix together and cook on med-high until potatoes are tender. Save extra. Can last as one meal per day all week.

Here's another: cookies
2 cups butter
2 cups peanut butter
2 cups white sugar
1 1/3 brown sugar
4 large eggs (or 6 medium eggs)
4 tsp vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups oats
4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 small bags chocolate chips

Cream fats and sugars together for about 30 minutes. Add wet ingredients, mix, add dry ingredients, mix. Use large serving spoon to spoon out batter into large cookies. Bake at 365 for 11 minutes.

These cookies are so large and contains a lot of good things and sugars, eat one cookie to replace one meal. If you eat two cookies, it will clean out your digestive system. Will last you a month, maybe two.

There's a guy who comes into the store I work at and I fucking swear he eats cat food. Missing half his teeth, always buys four or five cans of the same flavor (friskies beef) every week, never buys any other pet supplies, and the last time I heard him say anything about owning a cat it was over five years ago.