How do I make meatballs not taste like meatloaf

How do I make meatballs not taste like meatloaf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-6_kRAZXyu0
youtube.com/watch?v=Cwuv_iTxk7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Use different seasonings than the ones in your meatloaf.

you really don't need breadcrumbs, eggs, or other binders.

just mix the hell out of your ground meat. stir like crazy, and spend extra time forming the balls between your hands.

Skip the oregano, use basil and heaps of parsley instead. Also put real grated Parmesan in them.

Use half italian sausage.

thanks for the quick replies, should I brown them in a hot pan on the stove top or the oven?
I've got some italian sausage, not quite half but will add it
pretty sure I don't have parsley, but I'll skip the oregano
that filler is what some meatballs remind me of meatloaf. thanks. I'll just add some powder parm cheese. don't have the real grated on hand

My mom just cooks them from raw in the tomato sauce, but that takes many hours and isn't for everyone (I've read that it also leads to worse meatballs and better sauce overall)

If you want them soft, take breadcrumbs and soak them in milk for 10-15 minutes. Add that into your mixture. Your balls will be so soft. Let Chef John line you out.
youtu.be/-6_kRAZXyu0

This. Also veal. It makes for a lighter more nuanced meat flavor.

>Let Chef John
no thanks

I've never watched a chef john vodeo, but thst user was correct about soaking day old bread in milk for a softer textured meatball. I do that and add 1 egg, parsley, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and fresh grated parmeggiano or romano. I usually use 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork but I'll use venison in place of beef when I have it like right now ;)

I might try the milky bread crumbs. but I won't sit through a chefjohn vid

Are you afraid? Some say he has the largest dong on the Western Seaboard.

Wow, the first youtube video ever. Brings back memories.

It's so weird hearing him talk normally without the inflection he puts on in most of his other videos.

By not doing anything for love.

50-50 mix of ground beef & ground Italian sausage. If you can get ground veal (I cannot) use 33-33-33.
Lots of smooshed garlic.
plain breadcrumbs
1 egg
olive oil
fresh flat-leaf parsley
salt & pepper
parm
oregano
splash of milk

>won't watch chef john

I don't blame you there. The fact that he's a cult hero to the autist sperges on this board guarantees that I will never watch one.

I wrote all my ingredients, saw this, and deleted the text. you're exactly correct

So you're not only contrarian, but one who hates the people on a board you browse?

OK they are finished and turned out great. thanks for your input folks
kind of followed somewhat
thought I had some italian bread crumb but it got tossed because old.
so I cut up a heel and one other piece of white bread and soaked it in milk for five minutes
probably 1-4 italian sausage to ground beef
microwaved three cloves of garlic in some beef fat for 45 seconds
dried parsley, dried basil, salt,
about an eggs worth of egg.
3/4 cup of fresh onion
cooked it in a couple pans on the stove top in some lard and then finished them in the sauce

here is one cut up

and here is the layered garlic bread

half pork and beef or pure beef?

how you made that?

>expensive = good
Fuck off soyboy kike, I'm not buying luxury meat just to put in meatballs

I think you cook them for less time?
Here's some tips for Eastern European meatballs
Add a shitton of parsley and chopped onions
Have your only binding agent be eggs
Have your meat be really fat
Make them small like pic related
Cook them over hot oil so they're crusty and juicy in the middle

I've never had a good meatball that didn't contain panade.

>I don't want to learn how to cook
>Why do my meatballs taste like meatloaf?

Enjoy your shitty balls, faggot

>panade

Thanks, Francois, but next time just say "bread soaked in milk" like everyone else in the thread did so you don't sound like a mincing faggot with a corncob stuck up your ass..

>"bread soaked in milk"
I'm a sucker for efficiency.

I got the idea from emmas goodies
youtube.com/watch?v=Cwuv_iTxk7A
how I made them was. I was going to make some pepperoni rolls with frozen dough rolls (rhodes brand). when I found out we were having spaghetti I changed plans and did these.
I got a small rolling pin and flattened the already thawed and proofed rolls one at a time.
and flipped the bread pan so it stood up. with each roll I spooned some fresh garlic butter that I had microwaved for a minute stirring halfway. in the garlic butter I put only cracked black pepper and salt.
so after I spooned a little garlic butter and spread it around the flattened dough, I put a couple small pieces of provolone cheese and a generous dusting of powdered parm cheese. and repeat it 15 times. turned the pan right way and separated the dough layers in half so it could proof good. half on one side of the pan and the other half on the other side of the pan.
it proofed for like an hour and a half and filled the pan up nice. brushed beaten egg on top before baking at 360. after 20 minutes or so I saw it might be cooking to quick so I lowered the rack and turned the oven down to 340. cooked it for another 15 minutes I guess, came out great, wish I had rosemary like emmas recipe called for.
I'm glad I put the onions in
I know how to cook, I just don't cook meatballs or meatloaf often. and I've tasted meatballs that tasted just like meatloaf. and I'm glad I got different anons input
thanks, I don't know what panade is, but it was good addition to the balls

You gotta have the pork - that’s the flavour.

It would of been better If I had more italian sausage in it.

>dried parsley and basil

Everything looks good but I guarantee you left a lot of flavor on the table there, user. I grow my own of both and always have far more than I can use in a season and have tried drying them and they lose most of their flavor. Thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, sage, different story. Basil, parsley and cilantro lose most of their flavor when dried.

I know your right, but I made due with what I had, and the dried stuff I used was probably more than two years old. so It probably didn't add much flavor at all. I'd like to grow some herbs indoors during these cold months but the only south facing windows here are the garage doors.
I also wish I would of remembered the parm cheese in the balls, but I plain forgot it.
also I did most of this here except added the milky bread to it, and I didn't add much of the old dried parsley

I cook in the sauce too but it only takes like 30 minutes for golf-ball sized meatballs to cook through.

>literally calling people soyboy in a discussion over meat

fuck of mate stop overusing buzzwords to the point that they lose all meaning