Can anyone tell me precisely what merit Joyce had as a writer? I'm not seeing it

Can anyone tell me precisely what merit Joyce had as a writer? I'm not seeing it.

None.

Joyce was second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful.

Try not being a plep.

>I'm mentally retarded
Well there's your problem

>plep

It means plen.

>plen

You Veeky Forums scholars have your heads so far up your asses it's astounding.

As if it doesn't take a thorough fucking autist to see something in Joyce's dozy, witless drivel. Fuck off.

We went full reddit this time

Why did he like Jews so much?

He means plev

Because Jews are more gassy

Alright guys, time to pack up the near century of academic study and authorial influence because user whose only other books were Dune and the Hunger Games just isn't seeing the merit. It was fun while it lasted.

See

lmao

>second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful.
When did you realize that Nabakov had the exact same mentality as SJW and the like? He ties the question of something's worth and merit with that of the subject matter. He slanders Gogol and Dostoyevsky purely because he disagrees with their morals, his censure si that they wrote of religion, not that they wrote poorly, but for Nabokov the two become the same. He's a real shithead and to be taken as little more than a mean spirited fool pulling at the coattails of actually relevant literary figures.

Is this pasta ?

>slanders Gogol
What? He loved Gogol and called him one of the best Russian prose stylists of all time, fool. He simply disliked that Gogol ruined some of his work by trying too hard to be religious and stifling his naturally creative exuberance. Not only that, but Nabokov couldn't give less of a shit about subject matter as well as something is written well; he called Milton one of the greatest geniuses of all times, when Paradise Lost is obviously a very didactic work. He disliked Dostoyevsky because Dosto. actually does have a clunky style in the original Russian according to those who've read them in the original Russian (apparently, his works translated into English read better than the original), and was more focusing on didacticism and moralism. I myself like Dostoyevsky but can appreciate Nabokov's differing views and not get butthurt over them like half the summerfags on Veeky Forums do -- the instant Nabby says he doesn't like one of their idols, it instantly must reflect poorly on Vladmir and wipe away all of his genius, just because he doesn't have the exact same taste as you.

Everybody on this board considers Nabokov's opinions to be funny jokes
He's a great writer, but very few people consider him a great literary critic

He wrote about the paralysis that swept the entirety of Ireland, an island too stuck in its past to ever grow from it. He was hinting at the post-colonial perspective that would dominate the literary scene decades later. His prose is also beautiful and works irony in a noninvasive way. What didn't you get?

The idea propping up Joyce's supposed merit is that he was combined his erudition with a purely stream-of-consciousness writing style.
The juvenile assumption behind this idea is that this configuration of Joyce's is supposed to reveal some sort of otherwise hidden truth or beauty.
In reality it's just some cracked-up autist making fart noises.