Who are the most forgotten literally figures of your country Veeky Forums?

Who are the most forgotten literally figures of your country Veeky Forums?

(well, forgotten only on this pretentious and pathetic shithole)

Yeah, it's surprising the amount of italicucks in this place. (or maybe it's a samefag that post over and over and over)

Currently I'm not interested in his fiction but Petrolio seems pretty dope.

John Dos Passos

Francis Stuart, he was married to Iseult Gonne. Ignored and very comfortable for many because of his collaboration other the Nazis

>it's surprising the amount of italicucks
How do you tell them apart? I don't think there are many Italians here, to be honest. If so, there would be many more threads about authors you seem to mindlessly disregard.

Mavis gallant from Canada

Even >5 italian users are way above the average italian users quota on an online platform, it might be low for other country, but it isn't for Italy.

Pasolini isn't much discussed here because his works are overshadowed by Salò, and by his movies in general. (Those are quite bad if compared with his poetry or with his non-fiction works)

idk we forgot them

>Even >5 italian users are way above the average italian users quota on an online platform, it might be low for other country, but it isn't for Italy.
Yeah, you proved my point.

>poetry and non-fiction works are the best things he did
Exactly, that's why it's a shame he's never mentioned on Veeky Forums. He truly predicted every aspect of our contemporary society. If he's not worth reading, I guess people on here can't see beyond their little handful of memes.

This guy
my sister studies germanistics/literature and has never heard of him..baka
he wrote some dank shit

i was told his biography about Fouché is top notch

Manuel Machado.
His brother cucked him hard.

Thomas Wolfe and John Hawkes don't get the love they should.

He's pretty well known among a certain set here because he's been picked up by the NYRB and Wes Anderson name checks him.

Is his writing actually that much better than his films?

I thought his trilogy of life was great

This beatiful man, who went by the name of Pablo Palacios.
He was Julio Cortázar, Borges or anyone of the magical realism movement before any of them got published. All of that before the age of 31.
He's been getting praise just recently, because in his times, because of his mental illness (which led hm to his death), his peers dismissed his literature as the works of a madman, as the ecuadorian writers of the time were all social realists.
If you find his Complete Works (around 400 pages long), buy it, you won't regret it.
I really liked Wolfe's Look Homward Angel. I think the recent film about him gave some attention to his works (it made me read his first novel).
I haven't read Hawkes but i've heard he's great

HL Mencken. Not totally forgotten but got the Ernst junger treatment (purposeful neglect). Legendary bantz, shame he wasn't alive for the internet.

There's a quote from in on the wall of the Baltimore Sun lobby. Here we have to take what we can get in terms of literary heroes.

I've just pirated him. Death by kicking is pretty good.

>Death by kicking
Is he better than kafka?

I really like this guy,

There are a couple of books out atm of his short historical vignettes and they are great.

there are so many it doesn't worth posting
t. brazilian

Bob Shaw - one of the greatest Sci-fi writers on the second half of the 29th century, pisses all over Phil K Dick, largely unknown in his home country or anywhere outside of the fandom community, never been adapted for TV or Film.

that is some brazilian logic there

this

where did you get it? would you mind uploading it?

Frank Norris

Indeed. It's one of his better short stories. Did you pirate his complete works or only that collection?. It was easier for me to find the former than the latter. In what language are you reading it?
I like both a lot but Kafka's better. I'm not patriotic enough to say Palacio's better. But who knows? Palacio died too young, and stopped writing at the age of 31. Most writers didn't write anything good before that age. It saddens me that many famous ecuadorian writers died too young

That's a good one, and a shame. I'd add Richard Henry Dana.

Just read his In Defense of Women yesterday!

i love this book.
There is love but no sex, only that kind of love that was born in the medieval age, with the chivaric romance without soiling it whit human passions and cheating. It has heroes but they haven't that finest phsicological profile, they are archetype. I love the knowledge that talkien has of the human being and you know while reading that you are reading the encyclopedia of the human race.
please, share your knowledge about this book, i will be more than happy to discover some kind of stuff that was hidden to my eyes
i am currently reading it for the 3d time in 7 years

Max Aub - He had to leave Spain and was unable to get most of his books published in Spain until Franco' death, only three years after his. Aub wrote a monumental 6-novel cycle on the Civil War, probably the best work of fiction on the subject, over the course of 30 years. "El laberinto mágico" (only the first volume has been translated to English) has been out of print for years, and only now it is being reprinted (vol. 1 came out last month). Do yourself a favour and read him, he has everything: narrative techniques, plot, prose, you name it. A fucking genious. His poetry and plays are also top notch.

Hello Paddy. Yes, Francis Stuart wrote one great book, Black List, Section H, the rest is mostly negligible mostly. But he also translated the memoirs of the French SS Charlemagne Division volunteer, Christian de La Maziere, as Ashes of Honour (there was another edition with a different title too.)
There was some minor scandal some years ago in Ireland on his receiving a literary award, by a potato-munching proto-SJW woman whose husband as minister allowed police torture, among other things, the irony.

Stuart never apologised, never backed down, and that is to his lasting credit.

J. P. Jacobsen. Didn't write much, but wrote some good stuff like "Niels Lyhne".

Came here to post this. McTeague is the Great American Novel.

Clarence Cooper Jr. was an incredibly skilled prose stylist who wrote novels about hustlers, pimps and drug addicts in a way that mixed modernist aesthetics and pulp intensity. I recommend The Farm.

Wyndham Lewis

Eric Hoffer

Anti-intellectual, anti-academic, anti-collectivist philosopher

Great thread bros. don't let it die, maybe we get more gems

Clarence Major. An avant garde writer that mixes the blues tradition with modernist techniques unlike Ralph Ellison but closer to Gertrude Stein and the surrealist. I recommend Reflex and Bone Structure it is short, challenging and very disturbing.

>this
is not tumblr.
Go away.

Dude! The Octopus!

Everyone knows him as a filmmaker more than a novelist, just because 120 days is like babby's first edgy movie (no implying it's bad just that it's one of the first transgressive films that you hear about)

I'd also add Alexander Theroux to that list

The True Believer was brilliant. I should read more of his work.

Abigael Bohórquez, Francisco Tario, the Estridentismo movement... :(

It is, really do seek it out.
His bio on Marie Antoinette is also dank.

>Estridentismo
¡Que viva el mole de guajolote!

Only known nowadays through Rilke, I think.

this

I don't know, I've always seen his stuff everywhere

Booth Tarkington. One of the most popular novelists in the nation during his lifetime (1869-1946). Wrote The Magnificent Ambersons, which was turned into a film by Orson Welles, and won the Pulitzer twice (only man to do so other than Faulkner and Updike). Almost completely forgotten by history at this point. Indianapolis native.

wes anderson made a movie inspired by him

I don't know

me and my diary desu