Why is Turkey so fucking bland and dry...

Why is Turkey so fucking bland and dry? Absolutely no flavor and you need a gallon of water with you just to get it down...

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html.
seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

probably because you don't know how to cook

not him but what do you suggest? I mean it's two huge parts that cook at two different rates.
Don't say brining, food scientists have already determined it would be moist but flavorless.

spatchcock is probably the simplest
you can also break it down and cook the parts separately

>food scientists
..... LMAO.

>it's two parts that cook at different rates!
Protip your oven has a broil setting that heats from the top.
Marinade that shit for a day straight, stuff it with herbs and spices. If it's still flavorless stop smoking cigs.

your gravy sucks

quarter it, marinate it, cook each quarter separately
the reason turkey tends to be bland and dry is everyone stuffs the whole turkey fresh from the store into the oven and holocausts it until the breast is done

Turkey is a meme meat. It's always dry compared to other meats. If it wasn't the traditional meat to eat at christmas etc., I would never use it.

what kind of shit family eats turkey at christmas? The traditional bird for christmas is goose, what kind of abusive parent serves their child turkey for christmas?

>Marinade that shit for a day straight, stuff it with herbs and spices.
seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html.

>If it's still flavorless stop smoking cigs.
don't smoke, but I don't feel like eating potpourri.

When I did a fried turkey it really upped the flavor, probably best turkey I've had

>tfw prime rib for christmas

I didn't say brine it, I said marinade it.

Best answer right here. Comes out juicy and evenly cooked with all the skin crispy

Turkey is a poor man’s chicken

Why do Americans prefer white turkey meat to dark meat when dark meat’s higher fat content makes it less dry and more flavourful?

>implying average families can afford 100$/lb bird

brine + smoke

fried is also acceptable

Do you not cover the bird in foil?

This, brining in a flavorful mixture so it seasons a[spoiler][/spoiler] it moisturizes.
Also using some sort of compound butter under the skin or in the meat itself while it cooks. Separating it and cooking, testing both.

Honestly if your turkey ends up bad you only have yourself to blame.

no, it's poor mans goose

i butterfly mine and rub a butter herb mixture under the skin. also do you not know why you bast a turkey ya faggot?

basting does nothing, it doesn't penetrate the skin and opening the oven and leaving it open while you baste only increases cooking time by dropping oven temperature

>basting.
Holy shit I thought people were smart enough to stop doing that in the '80's

Cut it into parts and cook each part optimally, then serve them together. Roasting whole turkey is a meme.

true, i am just pointing out that people have been trying different ways to keep their turkey dry forever.

just go in your backyard and shoot one

fodd sciebists HAVE ALREADY DETERMERND IT

you poor fool

>Adding water is flavoring
White people

>Niggers don't use salt

>white people need a brine to salt food
Just sprinkle it, stupid. And you don't have to dilute your already flavorless bird with water.

yo man, it's cool, just do whatever the imaginary food scientists you were quoting tell you to do. Also, GUARANTEE THOSE FOOD SCIENTISTS ARE FUCKING WHITE hahahahahahaha.

Wow, since they are white, JUST LIKE YOU you must be smart JUST LIKE THEM!

Sorry whitey, you lack critical thought.

>Sorry whitey, you lack critical thought.
t. green belt in food research sciences

Then how the fuck do you not know how brines work?

>niggers don't understand what osmosis is

Yeah, if you're brining, then it doesn't work how you *THINK* it works.

I figured it out, this guy forgot that there is salt in brine. He just thought it was ALL water. That is likely the problem.

It's mostly water. The salt is there to push water into the flesh.

Turkey is leaner which results in it seeming drier. I've cooked turkey breast to the exact temperature without overcooking it but it still seemed dry. You need to brine/marinate it, and/or serve it with a rich sauce. For brining I prefer to do a dry brine which is basically just salting it and letting it sit overnight, this way it won't get waterlogged.

Turkey is a meme, ham is by far the best holiday meat

Fuck ham, such a meme meat. How the hell can one person even get through one thick ass piece of honey glazed ham without gagging is beyond me. Only good type of ham is thin sliced lunch ham

ok officially this guy doesn't know what osmosis is.

What are you getting at and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

Tastelet detected, stick to your shitty dry, bland poultry

Never said I liked turkey that much either.

Fair enough, I've always loved glazed ham though. One of very few foods that I'm 100% fine with eating exclusively for days with zero issues, it's the perfect balance between sweet and savory and has such a satisfying texture

Same, it's good shit

This

While this gentleman is being a dick about everything, he is in fact correct about brining basically adding more water than flavor. I prefer a dry brine.

seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

regardless, I've had good luck with dry and wet brines for turkeys, so I don't really understand why there is so much fighting about it. It's not like wet brining is going to ruin the meat, nor will you ruin the meat if you only salt just beforehand. Just don't be retarded.

My dad fries turkey in peanut oil, comes out very good. Anyone else do this?

Every year my turkey is amazing and makes the best fucking sandwiches

I made a turkey 4 days ago, just generously salt and pepper the exterior, stuff with rough cut onions, and set giblets sans liver into a seperate pot for stock (abt 2 quarts). Bake at 325 until int temp is good. Now the important part, make gravy you fucking dipshit and use the fucking broth thats been cookin for at least 3 hours to help. Thats where all the flavor fucking went as well as a helper to get it down

>serious eats as a cite

lol

because 98% of all turkey is made for thanksgiving, and they are all grown as fast as possible, and have no flavor.

Traditional meat for Christmas can be any bird, according to superstition, people just used to eat whatever they raised, and in modern times whatever the store has to offer at affordable price, which has become turkey for some reason. In fact, in my town I haven't even seen geese and ducks in stores until maybe two or three years ago.

Turkeys replaced Goose as Christmas birds decades ago because they're so much easier to be mass produced. Goose is too expensive and niche for most people.
Turkey is awesome if you just treat it right.

>GUARANTEE THOSE FOOD SCIENTISTS ARE FUCKING WHITE
Well duh, a black scientist in any field is rarer than a unicorn.

My family does Cornish hens.
Everyone gets their own bird. Works out nicely.

Also tastier and easier to prepare than some fuck huge turkey.

Has nobody here had a fried turkey ITT?

Nope. But I heard it's delicious. Here, in the South, grocery stores sell large jugs of peanut oil and big fryers during this year. I don't care to mess with frying myself.

It's damn good, just requires a hell of a lot more prep than your average roasted turkey. People wouldn't complain about the flavor anymore though if they took the time.

I don't do a big meal so I usually get the smoked wing and drum, it's not as good as the fried but a hell of a lot better than the regular.

Just get a deep fry kit and use good peanut oil it's very good
All you gotta do is make sure to hang turkey to lose all water for a few hours. Was the fried you tried before breaded or just with good oil as it should be?

ain't no autism like alton or kenji autism, I'd like to see you do better faggot

Lower the temp you cook it at. There's no need to blast it at 190c+ for the whole time like I see many people do. Try something like 160c for longer.

Good news is that it will be moister. Bad news is that it may be less crisp. However, you can deep fry it quickly with a big open pan once you let it stop steaming. I use a similar technique with chicken, which I also high temp (220c) oven grill for about 10 mins. That may not work so well with Turkey but I don't see why not as long as the grill is big enough.

I normally turn it up to 450f for 15 minutes and then down to 320-350 for the remainder of the time to crisp up the skin then slowly cook it.

Veeky Forumsizen and here’s my plan
>my first Thanksgiving away from home since I’m staying at in Uni state
>salt brine tomorrow until Thursday morning
>spatchcock the bird
>use excess meat and other stuff for gravy and stock
>Olive oil butter herb mixture with Old Bay inside the skin and over it
>roast until perfect
Out of my six housemates I drew the turkey and pies so should I scratch bake two pies or just buy store brand?

My dad makes a gravy that automatically makes the turkey taste delicious even if it's dry because of being a whole turkey

Of course you gotta do the whole turkey because of tradition but that gravy he does makes it actually good

/thread

Scratch bake one and then buy the other.

the best turkey I've ever had was from this meme grill my uncle got
I have no idea how to describe it but it was pretty good

Who here /inject/?

How do you prepare these?

You spitroast them on your dick until its too hot to keep them on,you cum in them and serve it to your parents.

Turkey is ok. Roast with roughly chopped shallots and some rosemary in the cavity.

This guy

my turk's still frozen will defrosting in water fuck it up?

Mostly because we were raised thinking only the white meat is good meat and dark meat is trash parts and every photo ever of plated meals show white meat to further that idea. I prefer dark meat turkey and chicken easily. I know plenty who do but haven't always.

had one of those crown hams once, that was an exciting year

Everyone ITT is ignoring the best way to get a flavorful, moist turkey.

Here's some tips, garlic, chicken broth, salt, pepper rosemary, thyme & bast the shit out of it with its pre-seasoned drippings. When all els fails you should do all that stuff plus butter that bitch like a god.

No. Defrost for 30 minutes per pound until thawed. Just make sure you switch the water out every 30 minutes.

same. Look forward to it every year but after Christmas eve movie and popcorn, dungeness crab, cinnabon in the morning with scrambled eggs, christmas fudge and eggnog and smoked salmon all day. By the time I get to the prime rib its almost too rich and gives me the worst gas ever. But I cant give up the routine. Been doing this for years.

thanks bro!

Why hasn't anyone posted this yet?
Veeky Forums is dead

>Why is Turkey so fucking bland and dry?
>Bland
It's no different than any other factory farmed meat.

>Dry
You overcooked it, which admittedly is pretty easy to do how lean turkeys are. Use a thermometer and pay careful attention so you don't overcook.

deepfry or cook in a smoker is the best.

Brine (8% salt with nitrate)
Let it dry.
High temp until visible color on skin.
Low temp (70c) until core 60c.
Let it rest, voilà!

>with nitrate
Why? I don't want my turkey to taste cured. We're roasting poultry, not making fucking sausage.

Keeps moisture better, better colour of the meat.
>taste cured
You mean salt? Or are you just stupid?
Wetbrine for 1-2 days doesn't make it cured.

Fry it faggot

If i stuff my turkey with celery, carrots, onions, and butter will it help keep it moist?

Whether or not your turkey is moist comes down to one signal factor: Did you cook it correctly, or did you overcook it?

Don't worry about adding things to combat dryness. Worry about not overcooking the turkey.

Wait, how should I split my Turkey? I plan on buying them after Thanksgiving since they become dirt cheap.

It astounds me that people have an entire day dedicated to eating this filth.

>>taste cured
>You mean salt?
No, I don't mean salt. I mean the nitrates. Nitrates are responsible for a large part of the flavor you get with cured meats, like bacon, salami, ham, etc. Nitrates create a distinct flavor which I'm not sure would match with a roasted bird, hence why I'm asking. Nitrates would have no effect whatsoever on "keep moisture better". They do create a reddish color, though I'm not sure why that matters.

Wetbrine for 1-2 days doesn't make it cured.
Clearly. I'm just wondering why you were specifying the nitrates. Normally wet brining is done with plain 'old salt. It's unusual to hear someone call for nitrates in a wet brine, which is why I'm asking.

The only times I use "pink salt" aka nitrites is if I'm actually making cured meat, or if I want to add that "cured" taste to a non-cured product. For example, I sometimes make a "reuben" themed sausage. I use beef, kraut, and russian dressing in the sausage filling. This is not a cured sausage but I add a little curing salt (nitrate) to give it that cured taste and vivid color you'd normally get from the pastrami.

works on your mother so I don't see why not.

if you don't like eating potpourri then don't put potpourri in the turkey, silly.

When I don't feel like eating ham I just don't put it in my mouth. When I don't feel like eating chairs I just don't put chairs in my mouth.

Does that make sense, coward?

This guy knows what's up.

On the christmas'es I had money I did a turkey and prime rib or sometimes a ham and either or. Have a larger family though so a lot of food is needed.

Turkey in general I don't really care for, however if you can get a turkey raised by someone out in the country, who does like 10-12 birds per year, its completely different than supermarket bird. Inb4 "farm to table" or "muh organic", I typically don't buy into that shit, but I had a giant home grown turkey 2 years ago and it looked like it was coated in gold paint when it was done, and the gravy had essentially no grease in it, meat was moist too, as in moisture dripping off it. Meat thermometer helped, and strategic tin-foiling and broiler as another user said.