The only advantage butter has over olive oil is that you can put it on bread. That's it. Prove me wrong butterlords

The only advantage butter has over olive oil is that you can put it on bread. That's it. Prove me wrong butterlords.

What is stopping you from putting olive oil on bread?

I dip my into olive oil all the time

... Are you telling me you don't put olive oil on your bread?

This is far better than butter any day

Only by subjective metrics of personal taste.

I like both.

>what is a smoke point?
>what is flavor?

oh dear. Here we go.

Both work well for different things. What's the point of infighting an autistic slap fight over such trivial shit?

Butter tastes better

butter goes better with pancakes.

Make a pie crust with olive oil

>olive oil brownies
Yeah fuck you

I've seen it be down pretty well.

>Not putting olive oil and butter on bread

>Not putting olive oil, butter and lardo on your bread

I don't put stuff on my bread except for bread

This makes me feel great, thanks. I eat butter all the time on itself, pure butter. As a matter of fact im eating it right now with a spoon. Good thing its healthy, also delicious!

Do you feel good about yourself getting nickels and shilling poison?

Butter is pretty vital for a lot of baked goods on account of being solid at room temperature.

That's different. You can dip bread into olive oil, but it is not allowed to dip olive oil into bread.

>What's the point...?
Boredom?

You can't make nutty brown olive oil though

Margarine is a healthy alternative to butter or olive oil. Being able to store it in the fridge and still being able to easily spread it is a huge advantage.

Make a sauce, any sauce, with butter and the exact same sauce with olive oil. Do a double blind taste test between fhe two. Butter will win every time.

The only thing olive oil is better at is for finishing pasta and for dipping crusty bread in.

Don't forget salads.

>main ingredients
>bread, toast BUTTER

>oil is a healthy alternative to oil

I like olive oil for a lot of things, but when I realized you could line a cake pan in butter instead of olive oil and it worked better it changed my life

Exactly.

butter has a much higher smoke point and is necessary to compliment/solidify flavors

Yeah but you can make acrid black olive oil tho

I use pureed, blanched butter beans whipped with olive oil and lemon juice instead of butter on my bread.

>oh hey I just made this great pan sauce for my steak, now time to finish it off with a few nice chunks of olive oil
>time to make a roux, I'll turn to my trusty bottle of olive oil for that, naturally
>boy, I sure do love olive oil in my mashed potatoes, it's just the best
>nothing better than a fresh batch of olive oil cookies straight from the oven

???

>butter has a much higher smoke point

it absolutely does not

Mayonnaise
Pesto
Tapenade
Aioli
Marinara

t. has never baked in his miserable life

I think Ghee has

Do you think that baked goods actually reach the temperature to which you set your oven?

To be fair, the "light" olive oil that doesn't really have any flavor is alright for baking and probably would work in mashed potatoes too but obviously butter is more versatile, tastes better in almost everything with the exception of a few dishes in which the characteristic flavor is olive oil.

Try making an actually good grilled cheese but replace all if the butter with olive oil

Your question only proves that you don’t know shit about baking

I'm sorry friend, but you're just mistaken. Olive oil has a higher smoke point than butter. Just because you bake something at 200 °C, that doesn't mean the smoke point of butter is >200 °C.

Some extra virgin olive oils might have a smoke point that is comparable to that of butter, but to say "butter has a much higher smoke point" is simply untrue unless you are talking about clarified butter.

dawg i fucking love olive oil and use it 3 times more than butter but for baking you gotta use butter man. also olive oil doesnt have dem milk solids and NUTty flavor you can get in butter. butter also good for thickening sauces, scratch that olive oil generally isn't for creamy sauces at all lol

someone said this early up in the thread but oilive oil and butter smoke points just result in huge difference in purpose/use, so it's an apples to oranges comparison in most contexts

also your point that you can put it on bread? both are good on bread wtf in fact olive oil is generally better on bread cuz it isnt a struggle to dip in it whereas for butter you gotta spread it or use shitty butter spread. whippin up some oilve oil with a nice balsamic, or making mixing in some parsley/garlic/rosemary/thyme/salt/pepper chopped thin is reallll fuckin nice

Olive oil tastes like shit
Butter tastes like heaven

I fry bread in fatback, spread lard on it, and then douse it in olive oil and melted butter.

they taste completely different

I live with a 400lb gorilla that flys into a rage whenever I try.