Has anyone tried drinking 1-2% abv beer for sustenance as a lifestyle...

Has anyone tried drinking 1-2% abv beer for sustenance as a lifestyle? Is there any way to do it without negatively affecting your gastric system? From what I understand people have been doing this for thousands of years, can't be too bad of an idea right?

>drinking 1-2% abv beer for sustenance as a lifestyle
are you saying just have 1-2% beer as your only food?

i've attempted this as an alternative to being alcoholic, but drinking any amount of alcohol puts me back into crave mode and i wouldnt want to waste money on something that wont get me pissed

Traditional medieval ale was known as "small beer" or "table beer" and was only .75% alcohol. I haven't found a proper recipe though..

Try kvas

I'm thinking of it more like this - I'll eat small breakfast and big dinner and let small beer carry me over in between. Probably intake less carby food in favor of getting those carbs from small beer

looks about right, thanks

which people have been doing this for thousands of years? alcoholics?

Spaniards maybe

I found one on guttenberg, but I'm not going to bother linking you can search it on their site if you want. It was from a Russian pre-revolution plantation where they did an extremely heavy grain bill and the first sparge was aged in casks for at least 1 year as an imperial stout. A second sparge was for everyday estate drinking. The third sparge was the small beer for the serfs. They thought, much like the southern slaveholders, that high alcohol drinks would make them attack their women. Ironically, the russian serfs learned to distill vodka anyway, lol.

slaves

>Is there any way to do it without negatively affecting your gastric system?
You probably want to stick with unpasteurized beers if you can, the live yeasts and bacteria might actually be good for you

those sediments full of yeast are high in B vitamins aren't they?

>Being this stupid

Just drink less of good beer. I've never heard of a low abv beer that didn't taste like 5-year-old communion wafers. Or quit being a little bitch and drink a whole one, it won't hurt you.

Hey faggot:
This isn't food and it isn't cooking. Take this frathouse beer party to Veeky Forums if your even serious (troll) about this medical discussion.

My grandpa lives off beer and microwave pot pies. He's never not drinking but I don't know if I've ever seen him drunk.

Yeah except for b12. If you're going to scrape and eat the sediment if you have a large amount of it that's the only time I'd recommend cooking it because it could give you a lot of gas, having that much yeast added to your digestive system.

Europeans. Water was not clean; alcohol would stop you from getting sick.

thats why I wish the beer meme would end. People drank beer in the past because they had to, and now people today pretend they enjoy it

dont know why anyone intentionally consumes ear wax flavored water in this age

>He's never not drinking but I don't know if I've ever seen him drunk.

I have this problem too and life is fucking hellish. I assure you he wasn't enjoying himself and hated everything like me.
Only I'm fucking 26 and could have 60 years left of "can't get drunk" syndrome. Here we go I guess.

It's actually a historically sound idea. Small beer has been around for a very long time and makes a lot of sense if you enjoy drinking extra calories and if you're decent at brewing it'll turn out really light and crisp. You don't drink small beer to get drunk.

Anyway, /diy/ is the board that has home brewing threads but don't fucking take the underaged retards there.

I don't enjoy it but my water is still literal poison.

I'm severely allergic to chlorine. It's not a meme and no it doesn't taste good, some people have to purchase everything they drink in a bottle.
The lessened effects of government poison make the earwax flavored water a worthwhile purchase. Almost no one will drink tap water any more unless poverty forces them to.

You'll understand when you get older

Inaccurate myth rather like believing all medieval people thought the world was flat.

Inherently, it's based around another misconception of medieval life: that they understood germ theory and monitored water body quality as a result.

They did not. They believed disease transmitted through airboune miasma and that you were more susceptible if your humors were imbalanced. The entire concept of "polluted water", just did not occur to them. If it looked clean, to the medieval perspective, it -was- clean. Thus, they drank water accordingly, and even when they did get sick from it, they would never blame the water. They would blame the air, or they would blame dietary factors for imbalancing the humors (i.e. you ate too much sweet food for your sanguine temperament and now you're sick).

The idea of waterbourne illness would never have occurred to any medieval pathologist. It wasn't until Pasteur's experiments of the 1800s that we understood water transmitted diseases like cholera. Now, this isn't to say they drunk shit filled water or swamp water. They still had eyes and noses. But Europe has always been a water rich region with plenty of natural streams and fountains to supply relatively potable water to medieval folk. Otherwise, you would use rain collection as Pliny the Elder recommends. This is collaborated by historical accounts.

“Let us make use of a healthy, natural drink which will sometimes be of benefit to both body and soul – if it is drawn not from a muddy cistern but from a clear well or the current of a transparent brook.” ~ Lupus Servatus, Abbot of Ferrieres, 9th century

"Drinking and eating at the same time may be harmful, since water
Cools the stomach, and the food is liable to remain undigested." - Regimen Sanitatis Salernitanum, 11th century

“Avoid small and strong ale and beer, unless very old or sour. But wine or water and the like, however, take as drink.” - Brother Leonard, St Jacques monastery, 14th century

You mean corroborated you dip