Bread Thread

first time making sourdough..:/

how did I fuck this up so oddly? Do I need to knead it more so the air bubbles are better distributed throughout the dough?

Other urls found in this thread:

thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fill the holes with cheese and bake until melted, problem solved.

How long did you knead the dough for? Was it elastic and wiggly when you picked it up by an end?

dough is too wet.
do yourself a favor and buy a mixer to do the kneading for you. also buy a digital scale.

>buy a mixer to do the kneading for you
But why though? Isn't the kneading the fun part?

Probably like 10 minutes in total; did like 5 before I refrigerated it overnight then another 5 before I separated it out into portions to prove

>dough is too wet.
isn't sourdough supposed to be fairly high hydration, though? I feel like if I put any more flour in it would get way too dense, but is that just backwards logic?

Any other advice for next time? Can people who have made this successfully share what kinds of things they do/they normal baking process for sourdsough is?

I'd do it for at least five minutes more before proofing

happy to help you troubleshoot, OP. what is your recipe and process? how long has your starter been going?

Again, what’s your recipe and process? Here’s my latest (sorry for phone posting)

75g sourdough starter
300g bread flour
100g AP flour
100g fresh whole wheat flour
375g+10g water
12g salt
Mix flours and 375g water together into a shaggy dough, let autolyse 1 hour. Add starter, salt, and additional 10g water, incorporate fully. I do this all by hand, pinching and folding the dough.
Cover and bulk ferment in cool area (it was ~65-68 degrees for me last night) for 10-12 hours, doing stretch and folds every 30 min for the first 3 hours. It’s ready when it’s pillowy and bubbles are starting to form around the edges.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, preshape, bench rest for 15-25 minutes. Shape and proof at room temp until it passes the finger poke test (took just about 2 hours for me). When you think it’s getting close to proofed, preheat dutch oven in oven at 500F. Score dough and put in covered dutch oven, turn heat down to 450F, bake 30 minutes. Remove lid, bake additional 12-15 minutes or until desired color.

Isn't that 100% OP not shaping the dough correctly?

Nope, not necessarily. To me it looks overproofed, but shaping might be a factor. The large bubbles at the top indicate that there’s good fermentation, but that the gluten isn’t necessarily strong enough to hold them suspended. Or the dough was shaped poorly and worked too hard at the bottom. It’s hard to know without knowing OP’s recipe and process.

At a glance either your flour didn't have enough gluten in it, it was a bit underworked, or it wasn't shaped quite correctly. If you put it through bulk fermentation, did you fold it frequently? Did you use a good percentage of bread flour?

I fell for the sourdough meme big time but I've realised that I prefer white bread.

sourdough is too spicy?

I'm making sourdough starter today. How should I do it anons? Unsweetened pineapple juice?

organic red cabbage leaf.

then braise the rest of cabbage with sausages. yum.

I used this technique with fresh squeezed orange juice and organic whole wheat flour and it's been going great for over 1 year. Pineapple juice should work fine.

thefreshloaf.com/node/233/wild-yeast-sourdough-starter

Just use equal parts rye flour and water, no juice needed!

I wanna try bread. Can I do it with just an oven and a cookie sheet or do I need some specialty bullshit?

You'll get better results with a baking stone, but I don't have one either. The important thing is just figuring out how to steam your oven, which I do by pouring boiling water into a preheated cast iron on the bottom rack when I put the bread in.

seconding what said. also, if you have a dutch oven with a lid, you can bake in that and it'll create steam.