So what did you make tonight Veeky Forums?

So what did you make tonight Veeky Forums?

Wife made red beans and green beans, I fried some pork chops. She did the dishes while I set a stockpot to simmer some hogs feet through the night. Itll make a sweet stock tomorrow morning.

I roasted some brussel sprouts earlier, they were delicious

Made rajma masala (kidney bean and tomato curry). Healthy, tasty, cheap.

I made soup too, OP, but instead of your tomato soup I made beef soup.

I made some dahl and ate it with pita and sour cream

That's chili negrito.

Chili has no broth

Why does it look like it has tomato in it?

What planet are you from?

Nothing yet, but when my girlfriend gets off from work I'm gonna grill a tri tip for us. Probably make some fries or mixed veggies as well.

One that doesn't call chili fucking meat soup, you mong

Which midwest state are you from?

I made spaghetti bolognese, spinach salad with homemade vinegrette dressing, and buttered garlic bread for 7 people but I was too busy to take any pics senpai
I wish I had because I actually impressed a real Italian person with my cooking which I consider very difficult to do since Italians are the best cooks.

>Italians the best cooks

Ok guise one of my guests sent me a pic of the meal I made today
I was proud of my accomplishment
Fuck you if your jealous

That's the most flyover thing I've ever seen

Why did you shit in a slow cooker?

Vegetable and chorizo paella. I make it at least once a month, as it is pretty pricey. But damn delicious. Imagine the amalgamated flavors of juicy cured spiced-pork sausage with sweet paprika, zucchini, capsicum/peppers, cherry tomatoes, spanish onion cooked in saffron-infused chicken stock with arborio rice and served with a garnish of chopped coriander. One of my favorite meals ever.

Looks like every depressing, "classy" thanksgiving dinner I've ever had to sit through.
I'm sure your food tastes fine but your presentation is pretty sad.

Back to the rock you reside under, TXfag

>serving loose and messing spaghetti out of a communal platter

just plate it for them dang man

ate some bolognese i had cooking for 12 hours with some rigatoni. learned how to finish the pasta in a pan with the sauce for the first time, that was nice. wanted to have some wine with it but im starting to exercise often so milk it was

Completely covered a cheese pizza with jalapenos and cooked it well-done. Ate 3 slices with a lot of habanero sauce. I'm deliberately building tolerance quickly after years of not eating spicy food often. I want to see how far I can take this.

12 hours!

Might not be that odd. I'm not sure about him, but I make my bolognese in 8 gallon batches. From prepping the vegetables, browning 16lbs of meat, cooking down a couple bottles of wine, then letting it simmer until its ready I'd say it takes me about 10-12 hours.

I could do it faster, but there would be more dirty dishes to do afterwards. My way involves only a single pot for the sauce.

pic semi-related, it's my 3ft long wooden spoon. Gotta have a long spoon for a pot that big.

I'm guessing you work in a restaurant. I was just thinking - the sauce cooked that long, absorbing wine and vegetable flavors must be unbelievably rich and delicious. How long would you recommend cooking a ragu?

because alot of people use tomato paste or tomato sauce or canned tomatos in chili

Every good Italian restaurant I’ve ever been to serves their pasta like this. I figured it’s better because I’m a fat guy and I always over serve people when I plate it myself so I figured this is the best method

Idk if that guy works in a restaurant, but I cook the same way, and it's been 15 yrs since I worked in a pro kitchen. You don't have to be a pro cook to cook in bulk, but a little extra knowledge goes a long way.

Don't worry, no one's jealous.

Youre right user
I’m sure your bologna sandwich was delicious

Made this breakfast hash today. Turned out very nice, and I added some chunks of andouille sausage in it for extra goodness.

I'm also waiting on my sourdough starter to not smell like complete garbage. It's been day 6 and it's starting to smell like a pungent cheese instead of rancid, yeasty sneakers. Hopefully it'll be ready before Thanksgiving but I'm not holding my breath. Can anyone from /bread/ offer some reassurance?

No, just a tradition. When I was a kid my grandfather was a caterer and he used to make huge batches of sauce and give them out to the rest of my family. I started following the tradition now because I'm the only one in my generation who enjoys cooking.

>unbelievably rich and delicious
It can be as long as you do it correctly. Mine comes out a little more rich and hearty than my grandfather's recipe did, but still good.

>How long would you recommend cooking a ragu?
Depends on the size of the batch. For a small 1.5 gallon batch I usually do at least 2 hours of just simmering, but you can go longer.

I'd offer you the recipe, but I dont have the exact recipe on hand. Best I could do is give you a rough approximation.

Thanks - I also cook ragu about 2-3 hours. Very nice.

You can use any ground meat that you like, but I use
-1lb ground beef
-1lb ground pork

For vegies I use:
-carrots (8 medium sized baby carrots)
-shallots (2 medium)
-cellery (3 stalks)
-mushrooms (8 small portaballa)

Fresh Spices
-Basil (To taste)
-Parsley (One bunch)

Liquids
-4 30oz can tomato sauce
-2 15oz cans beef broth
-1 8oz can tomato paste
-15oz water
-15oz wine (I prefer blush)

-Dice vegies (I cut them bigger in bigger batches)
-Mix meat/veg and brown them in olive oil (I brown the shallots sepparate and add them later on)
-Add wine to browned mixture and let simmer till reduced
-Add remaining liquids, a couple bay leaves and some italian seasoning
-Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir often for the first 1.5 hours.
-Next add your chopped parsley and start adding shallots to taste
-About 10 minutes before I take it off the heat I add fresh chopped basil

This is good for roughly 6-8 boxes of pasta. And you can freeze it for 6months [Longer too, but it loses flavor after 6 months} You could make a smaller batch for me it's not as economical unless you use frozen veggies.

And this recipe is not exact. You can fool around with it.