I just recently finished Dubliners and the whole time i was really looking forward to reading The Dead as I'd heard it...

I just recently finished Dubliners and the whole time i was really looking forward to reading The Dead as I'd heard it was one of the most respected short stories ever written.
Turns out it was fuckin boring. It's filled with anti-thematic filler and overblown with "regular-people" shit that you'd have to be dull to find interesting. The tacked on ending is the only compelling part in the whole story.
Yeah, I get it. I really do the whole themes of death, music, and circling and whatnot but shit, this kinda thing has been done so much better by now. Way too long for what it was.
I actually think Araby was the best story by a long shot.
Someone prove me wrong.

OP, I assume you've read it in english, right?
Are you a native? Do you think some above average english speaker could be able to read it in english?

Yeah I read it in english.
It's not particularly hard to read.
It is boring as all fuck though, so brace yourself.

The Dead is actually kind of overrated at this point. It's great, sure, but no more so than some of the other stories in Dubliners, and it's sort of just the one people remember because it's the last one.

I am a huge fan of A Little Cloud and After The Race.

The Dead is the only thing I've read by him but yeah I agree that it is boring. It is weird though, the ending actually is really good but it feels nothing like the rest of the story. It's like he went, "Oh shit, I have to write a good part now."

ITT: Pseuds
I bet you all think FW is just a bunch of pretentious gibberish and too long by a half

No I understand that it's complicated but it's still boring as hell.
Like I assume there's some connection between the mentions of Freddy Mallin's addiction to the "brown" with the repeated allusions to colonialism (and the conversation about black singers), and even Mr. Brown's behavior at the party. The dance we do as a society.
Obviously it ties thematically with death, the course of life, from the musical feast to a slow dramatic decline in mentioning religous behavior and with the circling horse, the falling snow and eventual depressing revelation.
It's deep, just kinda lame. Again, too long and unexciting for what it was.

The final Joyce redpill is acknowledging that he was a shite storyteller. I mean, nearly everything he ever wrote was taken in some degree from real life. The man was a prose engineer to the highest degree but he couldn't spin a yarn to save his life.

>nearly everything he ever wrote was taken in some degree from real life
No .... reallly??!!!1!

>nearly everything he ever wrote was taken in some degree from real life
>a bad thing
user...I hate to break it to you, but all the best stories are taken from real life. You'll be hard pressed to find a great fiction writer who didn't gain inspiration from their personal life. Seems to me that you're just a pseud who doesn't know very much about fiction. The Dead from Dubliners especially is even more sublime when you know that it's a parallel to his relationship with Nora and her past.

I always found Joyce's relationship with Nora to be pathetic cucketry. Pretty she was a literal whore when she was younger and young ugly joyce just chose to settle with her at the time because shet let him get his fetishes off. I'm sure he saw many other women in his later successful years. He did seem to be carrying a grudge. so sublime. true romance.
but maybe that's what real love is, all lip service, nothing more. i mean he did get a day name for the anniversary of their love, how could she be mad at that?

What I mean is that Joyce wasn't creative enough to extrapolate to a large degree beyond real life in the crafting of his stories. This is why he will always be inferior to Shakespeare, for example. Shakespeare is just as gifted in his writing as Joyce, but Shakespeare can create stories and characters that are not as heavily based in real life, and which are not immediately derivative from his own experiences. This is part of why Shakespeare IS so great.

But shakespeare wrote in a medium more appropiate to let characters speak their mind. You just cannot compare both

Shakespeare didn't come up with his own stories lol

>shite
Why do people spell "shit" like this?

watch the John Huston film now, lad. the long version, it's bretty gud.

it's an Irishism

that's a good q.
I think it has something to do with the harshness of the sound. The intention is more clear but i think most people just internalize it.
Recall that other thread about confusion between being "the shit" and literal "shit".

What the hell are you talking about? Shakespeare based nearly all of his plays on historical events/mythology. Have you actually read any of his plays? And every author crafts characters from their real life experiences. You don't seem to know the first thing about writing.

>Shakespeare based nearly all of his plays on historical events/mythology.
Not just that but some of them were literally just adaptations of stories that people had written before him. I find it laughable when people like praise the hell out of Shakespeare in a way that reveals just how little they actually know about him.

I'd love to but i can only find the spanish version streaming online.

search again, I watched it some months back, either putlocker, or alluc I think.

putlocker one was down.
alluc worked.
thanks bud.

american education, everyone

yea no shit but he added so much and made them the genius stories we know now
take King Lear; yeah there was a King Leir or smth. with 3 daughters and so on, but the whole Edmund/Edgar/blinding of Glou./madness of Lear etc. is all added by Shakespeare

I felt the same way.
I got through about a half and was left disappointed compared to the other stories.
Having read analysis of it though, I can see the brilliance of what I did read however I don't think I'm intelligent to enjoy the work by myself.
My favourite was a painful case although it's fairly plebby but I could feel emotions with the little intelligence I had.

I'm surprised more Veeky Forumsheads don't go for Dubliners with all the anti-normie themes, or on its sheer pedo value alone: The Sisters (just wtf was the priest getting up to with the kid - who by the way doesn't seem overly disturbed...); An Encounter (wtf was the old perv - "a queer old josser" - doing in that field - wanking off and exposing his lad to the 2 lads?); the cuckery (A Little Cloud), traumatic childhood beatings (Counterparts); women being sluts (Eveline); women hitting the wall, hard (Clay); childhood betaness (Araby); betaboy trying to fit in with Chad (After the Race); The Adventures of PUA and Beta (Two Gallants); scheming women (Boarding House); more old-age betaness (A Painful Case); NPD mothers (A Mother); need we go on?

The stuff of Veeky Forums, what.

Enough of this copypasta please.

You forgot about the religious pretender aspect of Grace. None of those guys had any idea what they were talking about when it came to religious history, which made it very comedic. Much like people talking about religion on this board.

Tasty macaroni

I read Dubliners over a decade ago and I was surprised to find it so highly ranked in this board's lists. I thought it was boring and unremarkable.