How do I into Alan Moore, and who else would Veeky Forums recommend like him?

How do I into Alan Moore, and who else would Veeky Forums recommend like him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Apmyg_IuWQI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Watch this documentary:
youtube.com/watch?v=Apmyg_IuWQI

Then read his comic book series Promethea, which is the best introduction to his views on magic

I literally just finished that doco! So fascinating.

Thank you.

You can try some of his early 2000A.D. work
Marvelman
V for Vendetta
Swamp Thing
Watchmen
Brought to Light
From Hell
Promethea & Tom Tomorrow
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
His recent lovecraft/cthulhu stuff

>His recent lovecraft/cthulhu stuff

Any good?

well he had one of the sea creatures from the shadow over innsmouth rape a woman and the woman eventually enjoyed it
and she got pregnant

See if you can find a copy of Lost Girls in a bookstore

>that video thumbnail
Gross. What is that?

Moore has a bit of a cavalier attitude regarding rape.

The Courtyard and Neonomicon are smalltime compared to Providence. That anthology one, Yuggoth Cultures and Other Growths I think it's called, isn't worth reading.

JERUSALEM

I wish more people would talk about it versus Infinite Jest.

In a weird way, I respect him for that. Mainly because how he treats it which is a horrifying act, but no less horrifying than other atrocities we are okay with when reading fiction like murder or cannibalism. I mean, one of my favorite scenes in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is when Hyde rapes the Invisible Man, due to what it really is in terms of a narrative. Mainly because Moore was doing nothing to disguise just how awful a creature Hyde while at the same time showing his positive qualities, mainly as an incredibly aware, even enlightened creature who had his own morality.

That is ultimately what I respect the most about his writing really. Moore takes great care with his characters, ensuring we 'get' them while coming to our own conclusions about them.

Also, OP, I would also recommend the shit out of his Captain Britain run. Why? Because he writes an incredible Superhero run which while self-aware and has his typical weirdness, is an uplifting story of a hero fighting a villain and winning.

Moore is a pretentious prick who insults the people who reads his stuff and damns his own medium(comics).

All of his works is basically him jerking off over his own writing. Lookitme, I'm so dark!

I swear, the guy would smugly drink a bottle of his own piss if it pissed off the ghost of Margret Thatcher.

So yes, it's very good

Non-comics works: start with Voice of the Fire, which should help you give Moore enough credit to indulge him through Jerusalem or whatever spoken word pieces you can get your hands on (Angel Passage, Unearthing).

t. Comic book manchild

He's shit. His novel is an overwrought string of mundane banalities. It only gets attention here because it's meme able. Idiots take it seriously because they take Veeky Forums seriously.

Just read Jerusalem

Read the novels. Jerusalem can be awfully long-winded but his writing, unlike Gaiman's, still holds up outside of comics.

>who else
William Blake

>Moore is a pretentious prick who insults the people who reads his stuff and damns his own medium(comics).

He is absolutely right that most comic books are trash and most comic book readers are hopeless plebs and/or children.

This is pasta.

IIRC, Moore was influenced by The Illuminatus! Trilogy and other Robert Anton Wilson works.

This

If you feel insulted by the things he says, you might want to take a closer look at yourself.

Chronological order.

There's a guy storytiming his Miracleman on /co/ right now. That would be the best place to start as it was his first superhero comic.

Bait, or someone who's intimidated by dark and serious subjects.

Has he ever written anything that doesn't involve rape?

IMO From Hell was a bit tinfoil hat but I suppose he admits to playing it loose with historical fact

although the book is worth reading just for the final few chapters, The Gull Catchers (which is part of the appendix and must, MUST be read after the fact) especially [spoiler/]

Well yeah, most of the comic books today are trash for manchildren, but Moore's dismissal of anything except his own work as shit is pretty narcissistic. There's good stuff out there if you bother to look, but Moore is a grumpy old man who doesn't care to try. His recent work has been pretty bad, so I understand why he antagonizes the younger authors making better comics today, but it's sad to watch him throwing fits over that.

Also, he's one to talk about the state of comics today, since the grimdark edgefest that's been weighing comics down for the last three decades started as people following his lead. You'd think he'd be happy to see creators taking less influence from his 80's-90's work today, but that would also mean he wasn't the one true god of comics anymore, so can't have that.

If you consider consensual sex with minors to be rape too then no, probably not

>Moore's dismissal of anything except his own work
Yeah which is why he has good things to say about other authors and artists and is currently editing some sort of anthology series for younger writers... moron

>If you consider consensual sex with minors to be rape too then no, probably not
Which one was that? Lost Girls?

this is great. thanks!

what are some good BOOKS by him other than "Jerusalem"?

But he writes comics

Voice of the Fire