What do Italians normally eat for lunch?

What do Italians normally eat for lunch?
What about dinner?

I'm going to be travelling there for the holidays, so just wondering what to expect. I mean I expect pasta, but, I'm really small so was hoping I'm not just going to be overloaded with food.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCcsSowAamCLJv-xeF9geXoA
youtube.com/watch?v=pHJhB4pmPCg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

6 inch italian B.M.T. on italian bread.
Or hearty italian bread if you want to make it more authentic.

So mostly sandwiches for lunch?

What's dinner like?

Meatball marinara and some garlic twists.

t-thanks

Lunch is usually a little bit of pasta or rice with fish or chicken, if you're still hungry after you eat some greens. Dinner is usually large consisting of multiple courses.

Thanks. What are the dinner courses?

You're not Italian you stupid American, what you eat isn't real Italian food but some Americanized garbage

We eat a first course of ether pasta or rice and a second course of meat or fish served together with vegetables.

Not him but depending on who you're eating with and where/the occasion, it could be bread, soup/salad, then main, or it could be many, many small courses throughout an evening consisting of cheeses, meats like prosciutto, fish, pastas, and maybe a light dessert.

If you're concerned about eating too much because you're small, I wouldn't worry. Italians are usually on the smaller side, and the portions are not huge.

Here's a good real Italian cooking channel on what real Italians eat not Americans eat.

youtube.com/channel/UCcsSowAamCLJv-xeF9geXoA

youtube.com/watch?v=pHJhB4pmPCg

It's not all that different from elsewhere, just that we don't tend to eat eggs at night because of superstition that they're "heavy" and can cause indigestion and that eating in courses is more common than in other countries. If you're having a nice meal, there will be a grain-heavy first course and a meaty second course followed by salad. If you're having a quick meal, one-pot dishes are common as are fast food and convenience food.

As for being served too much, no worries. Our portion sizes aren't generally as large as other places.

That video makes Italians seem like cunts.

>salad
>before the meal
Do you drink your digestif before the meal, too? lolololol
We eat salad after, not before.

>lots of antipasto
>skip pasta because you gorged on antipasto

Thank you. Yep, that's what I'm worried about. I see what American Italian restaurants serve and I basically can't even eat half a plate so I kinda avoid them.

When I eat pasta I eat like a cup worth. So maybe 120 grams or whatever that works out to be?

Thanks. Salad after makes sense to me desu. Wish we did that here.

Thank you.

Any recommendations on what to order? Any favorites?

not him, but it all depends on where you are.
Italian food is extreemly local, and there are lots of "must eat" dishes that you would find in one place and nowherelse.
Tell me where you will be and i can try to suggest you something

Florence mostly.

Also some day trips: One day going to go Pisa and Lucca, another day Siena and San Gimignano, and another Montalcino, Montepulciano and Pienza.

Will most restaurants be closed on Christmas?

>Florence
Bistecca alla fiorentina, not tourist restaurant
>Siena
Panforte
T. Not him

for lunch i eat pasta

I've eaten pasta for lunch every day of my life i'm not even kidding.

dinner is more varied in general i get meat, fish or other shit like vegetables.

Florence has some quite good things, if you want another 1day trip go to Perugia, is a bit further but its one of my favorite italian cities.
About eating in Florence

>Fiorentina
Basically a huge tbone steak, a must if you like meat

>Caciucco
Fish soup, not from Florence but from a couple of cities nearby, if you can find it its quite good

>Lampredotto
Ok, this will sound yucky but it insanely good
It's a sandwich with the stomach of the cow, cooked and served with pepper and green sause.
It's tasty as fuck and it doesnt smell badly like liver etc.

Also, destroy yourself with local wines, Montepulciano is good

I can't really make any suggestion because I don't know where you'll be and what's eaten in one area is entirely unheard of in another. Quick lunch meals are generally similar the whole country over, though. If eating at a bar or fry shop/roast shop/pizza place , it's gonna be simple shit like sandwiches, egg dishes and local short eats (also fried stuff and pizza, obviously) which will vary heavily area to area.
If eating at a restaurant proper, your options will vary too greatly place to place to discuss, really.
If you're visiting soon, faraona is in season right now and many nicer spots may have it on the menu. Faraona kinda looks like a turkey fucked an emu/dinosaur/peacock hybrid. I'm not sure what they're called in English. Google keeps correcting my attempts to "pharaoh" and we're not eating Egyptian royalty or anything. The bird is faraona and pharaoh is faraone. Two different words, fucking google.

>120g
>small amount
Is that weight of the dry pasta before boiling? Because if so, that's nearly double what I eat and I'm 183cm tall. 65-75g dry weight is common for a single serving.

they are southerner they ARE cunts

Thanks. I've been trying to avoid tourist places, but, obviously hard as a tourist.

There are my dinner reservations, but they are flexible.
Sabatini
Locale
Gargani
Barretto
Lungarno Bistrot
Enoteca Pinchiorri
Il Santo Bevitore
Buca Mario

Thank you! Saving all of this.

>Also, destroy yourself with local wines, Montepulciano is good
I'm a lightweight with wines too. I'm like 5' 4" 100-lbs so a little bit goes a long way...

Thank you, I'll look for that! I think I see it on Google. Some kind of hybrid bird as you said.

>65-75g dry weight is common for a single serving.
I was just ballparking. But no, a cup of dry pasta is no problem for an American fatass. That's why I barely order pasta out anymore because I can only eat maybe 1/8th of my plate and then they just think I didn't like it.

>5'4, 100lbs
Please be in London.

I'm from Pisa
don't expect much besides the tower we don't have much to show.

we are basically a university city.

Lucca is a lot more beautiful tho
go to the tower with the trees cause is cool af

for the food try the torta coi bischeri
it's a traditional cake made only in pisa and if you get a high quality one it's good as fuck

No, but I was there a few months ago. I recommend Gavroche if you can make it sometime. Also like Ledbury in Notting Hill. Expensive but really an experience.

Thank you pisanon. I'll look for that.

>tower with trees on top
awww how cute!

>lampredotto
I can confirm, as italianon who hates all kinds of animal guts related dish, that it's actually pretty good.
A lot of Florence dishes revolves around guts now that i think about it: trippa (cow stomach cooked in tomato sauce), crostini toscani (liver and capers and anchovies pate on toasted bread)
Probably worth to try coccoli too. Fried bread dough with prosciutto and stracchino.

Thank you. Yeah I don't like foie gras or those sorts of things either. I'll give the lampredotto a try though.

Coccoli sounds tasty.

That type of stuff you can find at local markets?