/beer general/ - Meme NEIPA Edition

Welcome to beer general, the #1 place to complain about hipsters and their IPAs.

Thread topic: How has the recent trend of NEIPAs affected your mental health?

Leave your dessert stouts at the door also.

Discord: discord.gg/BacBbG4

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/BacBbG4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why americans love their ipas so much? Why won't they accept the superiority of belgian beers?

Not that Belgians are actually superior, but it's ignorance.

>complaining about IPAs
what's it like having defective tastebuds?

Name ONE good Ipa

damn u got me smdh haha lmao

i live in Massachusetts, i love NEIPA. but then again there's not too many styles i dont love

dogfish head 60 minute IPA

Epic Static

I'm having this Belgian Christmas beer. It's alright; sweet and mellow, hints of fruit, very tiny hint of licorice. It's one of those beers that people who normally don't like beer might still like.

As for IPAs, I love a GOOD one, but the market is so full of shitty ones that a lot of people probably end up thinking all IPAs are shit. It's a shame.
The, at times, cancerous fanbase probably doesn't help matters.

i had some treehouse green and haze yesterday. top notch

I found the regular version at my supermarket, is it good? I've never heard it.

Lagunitas

Are IPAs and weed the same thing because it kind of seems like it

they share similar characteristics, as hops and weed both belong to the cannabaceae family

for Christmas Eve

I am going to Boston in a couple weeks, what beer should I try and find? Any brewery I should particularly try and visit?

Americans drink a lot of Belgian beer, if anything the craft beer crowd in America overrates Belgian beer (not to imply it isn't legitimately good though)

It's not bad. I expected it to be a bit more characterful than it turned out to be. You can definitely find beers in the same price- and alcohol range with more flavour, but it's pleasant-tasting and inoffensive enough.
I'm mostly drinking them right now because I'm visiting my mother in the country and the local grocery store has a very very limited selection of beers. It's pretty much either Grimbergen or Carlsberg.

Fuckin A

Enjoy that for me, user.

Just turned 21, so I'm no longer stuck with the piss I could come across. What should I go out and buy if I've only had light American beers and Heineken?
I live in Dallas, Texas if anyone knows good local stuff.

I'd agree with that. I don't know how many times I've seen someone jerk off to the name St. Bernardus alone.

Ghost in the Machine

Sort of got into variety beer in the past year, are there any specific christmas or winter themed beers to look out for this season?

Sam Adams Winter Lager and Traveler Winter Shandy are my go-tos.

Lakewood and Revolver are both pretty good, just avoid Deep Ellum Brewing Co.

>Revolver
I had their Blood and Honey last night, and it tasted like a dessert. I'll get around to their other stuff next.
What's the best offering Lakewood has? I see they have variety, but what do they do best?

The Revolver Bock is excellent but I'd sooner save my money and just buy Shiner instead. The Sidewinder is a fantastic pale ale if you're partial to those. As for Lakewood I've only had the Temptress, but it was pretty good. A little on the sweet side but not by milk stout standards, and the texture is miraculous.

It has a gay label, but it's genuinely really good

9% alcohol, fucks your shit right up and I usually drink like 6+ shots of vodka every night, but trying to transition to beer to live longer and this stuff is doing it for me.

I was you once, get a real hefeweizen, it will change how you think of beer. It's really good, nothing like a lager. I think a lot of stores carry Weihenstephaner, I can get it where I live, but it's a pretty beer savvy city.

However, do not get Widmer, it's trash.

New Belgium is great. Their Trippel is seriously one of the best beers I've ever had out of a grocery store, look for it user.

Does Shiner taste better than Revolver Bock too or is it just a price thing?

I've yet to try any hefeweizen, but I know my mom likes it so I'll ask her what she likes if I can't find Weihenstephaner.

>if I can't find Weihenstephaner.
It shouldn't be tough to find

Shiner is hard to beat in my book but they're basically the same thing

Had this recently, it was good.

These are everywhere right now in 32oz bottles. I'd rather have Sucks back

recommend me some IPAs that don't taste overwhelmingly like pine trees

anything not from California

Any of the Dogfish offerings. I've only had the 60 minute but I've heard good things about all of them

i think you might be right mostly
sierra nevada torpedo - tree sap in a can
lagunitas ipa - not much better
stone ripper - decent
ballast point sculpin - delicious, citrusy

i'll check it out, thank you

Basically there are 3 main stains of IPA (its actually much more complicated, but simplifying things)
Aggressively bitter, piney resinous, minimal malt character West Coast Style (See Stone IPA or Lagunitas)
Medium bitter, more aromatic, more citrusy, maltier midwest style stuff (See Toppling Goliath or Zombie Dust)
Not at all bitter, super cloudy, juicy Northeast IPA (See the OP and all the Vermont stuff)

Personally, West Coast style is not nearly as good as the other types of IPA. Probably an early adopter thing, the West coast was the first to popularize IPA, so a lot of their flagships became popular before more modern trends and better hops (Citra and mosaic most notably) became available. Luckily for all of us, you can get all sorts of IPA anywhere, various styles are just more or less common. Pretty much everyone is making a NEIPA now

Moylan's Harvest IPA
Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropicana

I fucking hate beer but the ballast points are almost all tasty.

anchorage brewing is the best!

second only to wisco brews... imo ofc

Ballast point blows

In all seriousness how long until the IPA meme dies? I just hate how every brewery in the US will make like 10 generic IPAS and maybe 1 other style. The top tier IPAs are good, but 95% of IPAs are complete garbage.

i was disappointed by their mango even keel and watermelon dorado, they were both lacking in flavor and just tasted of hops

It's already over at any halfway decent/up to date brewery.

what's for dessert boyos

what's the next big meme then?

fruit beers will probably rebound briefly for a bit, then some other dumb ass thing. i hope stouts and porters get popular.

NEIPA, dessert stouts, sours (maybe, hopefully, please god)

What's a good beer termomether?

Heavy meme stouts are still very popular. Sours, lagers, infusions, barrel aged shit.
Really anything breweries can do to set themselves apart. There are so many breweries now I think they're actually being forced to compete and experiment with new or obscure styles.

I use this one.

What's a dessert stout tho

A stout brewed in the dessert with sand and shit.

All of these are already meme tier garbage

>Americans drink a lot of Belgian beer, if anything the craft beer crowd in America
This. We have massive circlejerks over stuff like Chimay, Bernardus, Rochefort, and whatever.

IPA's are cheaper though.

Can't go wrong with Bell's Two Hearted.
>As for IPAs, I love a GOOD one, but the market is so full of shitty ones that a lot of people probably end up thinking all IPAs are shit. It's a shame. The, at times, cancerous fanbase probably doesn't help matters.
This.

>discord.gg/BacBbG4
Have to agree on Bell's. But, if you are a brewery and you aren't doing IPA, you are hurting your bottom line! It sucks that there are so many BAD IPA out in the states, but I have to admit in the past like 15 years the taste of them have radically transformed. Love or hate them, they have changed the way people think about beer and crafting beer in the States.

thoughts on these two beers?
i made another beer general without realising this was up, so just ignore it guys!

fucking

Cantillon.

goddamn i just wrote out a long bullshit reply on it

my bad! i have tried mariage parfait did not enjoy it really too fruity imo. i have not tried the black label though will have to look for some

pilsner

did you have the kriek mariage parfait then instead of the gueuze? gueuze one is way better imo even tho i do enjoy kriek.

i think it was the kriek yes. i am not a fan of the overly fruity sours. i prefer the dry tart ones. have you tried 'duchess de bourgogne'? i did not enjoy it because of its almost prune/fig flavour. but i can definitely see its attraction for those into the more fruity flavoured lambic/gueuze

Both are solid lambics. Cuvee René is one of my favourite go to beers since it's cheap as fuck over here.

So it's nigger beer

Very nice beers user! I am pretty jealous. I have only got a bottle of adnams dry hopped lager and a can of adnams rye IPA.

Splurged on a bottle of this. Saving it for a particularly cold night. Can't wait to try it

I've had a couple Trillium beers. The double IPA was kinda gross but the APA (Fort Point) was amazing. Wouldn't go out of my way for them but when I'm in Boston again I'll see what they have in stock.

If you're in the Summit distribution area their Winter Ale is fantastic

Not a fan but New Belgium in general ain't bad. Abbey is super good

I'm a big fan of doing this with Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat

cuvee rene is fantastic, probably my favorite shelfie beer

I am drinking Noise by Finback right now. A grisette brewed with earl gray tea and lemon rind. it is pretty good, could maybe use some brett or something to make it great but it is solid, just not rustic enough.

However, what I am really looking forward to is pic related, Zodiacal Light - a mixed fermentation wheat saison aged in wine, brandy, and bourbon barrels finished with chamomile and honey. Lots of different thing going on but apparently it works.

Trying to save it for thanksgiving.

Gueuzes are the best. Cuvee Rene is a great, affordable, entry level gueuze, but the Hanssens Oude Gueuze is far superior.

I had some Cantillon the other week. It is as good as everybody hypes it up to be, definitely try and find some if you can.

wow that label is ugly as hell

What's a good beer for someone who really only likes Whiskey and hard cider? I bought a 6 pack of Rebel IPA earlier but it tastes disgusting. Whiskey is starting to lose its taste on me since my last birthday, now everything just tastes like I'm drinking curry

See
Gueuze and most sour beers a whiskey drinker will probably appreciate

Sounds interesting. One of the best meads I ever made I used chamomile flowers during fermentation. Definitely an underused herb in brewing.

Chamomile has a very strong and distinct taste when brewed with and I personally like it a lot. I have had a handful of chamomile beers and liked them all.

Now that I think of it, sounds great in a mead too.

I heard you guys like beer

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year by Anchor is pretty good

I'm so sick of Belgian beer. I want a plain ale and all I can find is gay Belgian shit with spices and garbage in it. Belgian beer is just as much a meme as IPA.

I genuinely prefer regular Darkness. I think the barrel aging takes away a lot of the complexity. It's still a great beer though.
This double shot has been getting a lot of attention lately. I hope I can find a bottle eventually. Bent paddle and thirsty pagan are the two stops I always make on the north shore

show tits

if all you can find is Belgian shit you probably need to get out of Belgium

Could I get some suggestions for porters and stouts, and maybe some good lagers as well.

Is this the only good black IPA?

user, there aren't any good black IPAs

although leave it up to fuckin New Glarus to make one desu

I'm a man.

for me, it's anchorage brewing company.
in particular, their black sour

Iambics are gayy

Looks like abv

Founders Centennial IPA I

Pick it up its breddy gud buh wha da ai know

not sure what you mean

Plenty of good black ipas out there, just maybe not where you live.

Pic related

Come on over to MN, Indeed has a pretty good black IPA

>MN

You mean Somalia.

>le Somalia meme
Pretty sure this state is still 90% white if you're that scared of minorities