Was Raskolnikov the original average Veeky Forums man?

Was Raskolnikov the original average Veeky Forums man?
>thinks he's extraordinary but is actually ordinary
>thinks he's an intellectual
>does nothing all day
>autistic
>fell in love with a prostitute

No he's just a normie degenerate. (I'm not saying that 4chaners aren't degenerate though)

Actually Dostoiesky used to lurk here the 2007-2009 era.

Haha, good one. xD

>thinks he's extraordinary but is actually ordinary.
He's far from ordinary. He's just not as exceptional as he thought he was.

The average Veeky Forums 'man' (lel) is either Raskolnikov or the Underground Man, depending on whether or not, respectively, he's a murdering loser irl. But really the comparison is an insult to Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov was written to be a warning to people like us, who have existed for hundreds of years.

>>thinks he's extraordinary but is actually ordinary
That isn't how Raskolnikov approaches the Great Man theory
>>thinks he's an intellectual
No, he doesn't. He tried to get published a few times, nothing came of it and he's now disillusioned with writing because he can't further his education due to lack of funds. If anything, he thinks he isn't intelligent ENOUGH.
>>does nothing all day
Also not true. He's only hanging out in his garret and sleeping all day because of a combination of depression, poor diet and probable illness.
>>autistic
Its been discussed to death that reading Raskolnikov as being not of sound mind is both contradictory to the text and weakens the themes of the book.
>>fell in love with a prostitute
Okay you got me here

I wish people would stop trying to retrofit literary characters to fit their idealized version of themselves, its just pathetic and cringeworthy.

>No, he doesn't. He tried to get published a few times, nothing came of it and he's now disillusioned with writing because he can't further his education due to lack of funds. If anything, he thinks he isn't intelligent ENOUGH.

I think it's a bit more complex than that. There are different layers to his attitude regarding his own intelligence. On the one hand, he is insecure about the fact that he's not a genius, but he definitely thinks he's superior to and fundamentally different from commoners.

>Also not true. He's only hanging out in his garret and sleeping all day because of a combination of depression, poor diet and probable illness.

He's still doing nothing all day, even before the murder. The fact that he doesn't feel good doesn't negate this. Plenty of people in Russia back then were sick and unhappy, but were more industrious due to differences in outlook (e.g. they had to work to support their families, or to prove to the world that they're not useless.)

>Its been discussed to death that reading Raskolnikov as being not of sound mind is both contradictory to the text and weakens the themes of the book.

What do you mean? He's clearly not completely of sound mind before then murder. He was talking to himself and was paranoid and spiteful. Doesn't sound very sound to me.

Raskolnikov's neuroses stem from the stress of committing the murder, and ultimately lead to his confessing and getting caught. This is the Punishment half of Crime & Punishment. To argue that Raskolnikov committed the murder not due to brutal logic, but because he's le autistic XD removes all serious culpability for his crime, which destroys the philosophical commentary of the text.

Also, he couldn't have been doing "nothing all day" if he was previously writing, attending classes and etc. Even in the novel itself, he spends a good bit of time reconnoitering the murder scene.

No he was tall and handsome.

In other words, he was a CHAD led astray, but given a second chance with GOD.

Neckbeard autists don't get second chances.

Why couldn't a Chad be autistic?

>Raskolnikov's neuroses stem from the stress of committing the murder, and ultimately lead to his confessing and getting caught. This is the Punishment half of Crime & Punishment. To argue that Raskolnikov committed the murder not due to brutal logic, but because he's le autistic XD removes all serious culpability for his crime, which destroys the philosophical commentary of the text.

I don't think the situation is all black and white. While he was not a lunatic, he still exhibited an excess of spite and self-consciousness that I think we're highly out of the ordinary. The murder certainly wasn't a simple act of brutal logic: yes, it was motivated by his need for money, but it also was motivated by his virulent hatred of his landlady. Yeah, he presents himself as a rational man, but you shouldn't take his own self-image at face value, he does a lot of rationalizing throughout the book.

I don't think that being mentally unbalanced would remove culpability from the crime anyways, as even if he were suffering from a serious mental illness like bipolar disorder, he would still be able to tell right from wrong.

>Weakens the themes.
No it doesn't. I think you have it wrong. An autist displaying guilt is even more profound imho.

>He's still doing nothing all day, even before the murder.
It was because of his depression. It's explained from the start that he has been like that for some time.
>but were more industrious due to differences in outlook
It's not about industriousness. Most people are not ambitious and just work for the next meal so they can somehow get by no matter how much their life sucks. The disparity between Raskolnikov's overblown aspirations and harsh reality wore him down pretty fast.

best c&p translation?

Some people like P&V, some like Garnett.

How can you be autistic and an outgoing alpha male at the same time?

P&V

t. Russian who speaks Russian

He's tall and handsome. He isn't alpha and outhoing.

>Raskolnikov is not an extraordinary man
stopped reading there

>he doesn't know that normie and ordinary mean the same thing

Nah, that title belongs to the Underground Man

the average Veeky Forums user is way more intelligent and cultured than the average american citizen
refusing to accept this simple fact only makes me see you as a self-deprecating reactionary loser

What makes you think this? The highly popular boards where most of the sites userbase obviously hang out doesn't exactly prove your point

yes, they do
as much as I hate /pol/, the level of discourse displayed there is obviously above average
I think people that hold this notion that the average Veeky Forums user is a retard come from affluent, upper middleclass neighborhoods
the average citizen is borderline incoherent in his use of language

Noted.

Ever wondered that one of the psychologically wittiest works in world literature gets reduced to a shallow shitpost?

Reminder never to trust christcucks

Just because the average Veeky Forums user has access to a lot of culture through the internet and time on their hands doesn't make them more "intelligent", and only more "cultured" in the most shallow way.
>t. another user of 4facebook

>t. Russian who speaks Russian
This makes your opinion less valuable, not more. Because you speak Russian, you'll be looking for accuracy rather than beauty in the text. You also don't understand English on the same level as a monolingual anglophone who has spoken it every second, every day, his entire life, rendering your reading of an English text very suspect and far less experienced in matters of anglo prosody

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think /pol/ are degenerates. However, they are probably much more intelligent than your average American and say this as an American.

>However, they are probably much more intelligent than your average American and say this as an American.
I wouldn't say 'much more'. I'd say 'more', but when someone says someone is 'much more intelligent' than someone else I take that to mean 'two or more standard deviations more intelligent,' but I think they are at best a single standard deviation above the norm, and even that is generous.

this

On the contrary. He was exeptional in other ways than what he expected.

I've grown up in America since I was little child and I use English much more than I do Russian

Trust me P&V is the one that comes to closest to replicating how the text is in Russian

Did you even read the book? Raskolnikov was literally described as having a neckbeard.

>average Veeky Forums man
>gets a 9/10 blond loli to fall in love with him and serve him even when he's in jail

Wasn't he actually really smart?

What I find interesting is that Stirners work preempted this problem about 30 years earlier. Of course that would have made for a less appealing book

He was, but he couldn't accept the fact he wasn't even more so. In the end he accepted himself and the love of that girl.

I actually meant autism in the real sense desu. Throughout most of the book he couldn't form any relationships with people he meets and is cold towards everybody, sounds pretty autistic to me.

she was a literal whore, user

with a heart of gold!

Would you rather have a women forced to whore herself out to save her family or a whore who does it for the sake of "not wanting to miss our" or "it feels good(tm)"?

there's always another way

I talk to myself, am paranoid and spiteful and I'm perfectly sound of mind

Icycalm is Raskolnikov minus the guilt-induced neuroses.

Me too! I can't control the talking and think it's related to tourettes.

yes