Need help with a recipe

So i was trying to come up with a good Italian style pasta recipe. My most recent try looked like this:

>Saute garlic in 15ml of olive oil at a medium to low heat until golden brown
>Add 1 diced yellow onion and saute some more
>Add 500g of tomato (seeds and the other disgusting stuff already removed)
>Add basil and let it simmer
>Add 500g of tomato puree
>Add salt + ground black pepper
>Throw in some finely diced carrots
>Add Parsley, Thyme and Chives at a ratio of 1:1:1
>Add some lemon juice to bring out the flavors (basically just squeezed a quarter of a lemon into the sauce)
>Add a pinch of sugar
>let it simmer for a while and serve with pasta

Unfortunately, this tastes like utter shit and i have no idea why. It tastes like it has no flavor at all despite there being tons of spices in it, but at the same time it also makes me want to vomit.

I swear, this literally tastes like puke.

What am I doing wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lI2lWuoMV3I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

either your tomatoes are shit or youre not using enough salt/sugar

you probably need more salt. you should add oregano and maybe a bay leaf, not sure why you have carrots in there

The salt is actually the dominant flavor, despite there not being that much in there. I have no idea why, but if somebody tried to recreate the taste of puke, thats how he would do it. Salty, sour and a little tang to it.

Also, can you give me a quick rundown on what you mean by shit tomatoes? All the stores where i live have basically only one type of tomato. I bascially picked organic deep red standard cooking tomatos.

Don't brown your garlic. Start with onions first, they take longer to cook. If you're going to use carrots, add them early so they release their sweetness (if you're going to simmer for a while you can even add a whole carrot to the sauce, it will sweeten the sauce and then you can remove it when you're done). Don't use thyme or chives. You probably don't need lemon juice.

You can also experiment with adding wine, capers, anchovies, or olives.

All that said, if you're using bad tomatoes you're going to have an extremely hard time creating anything worthwhile. Find some tomato product that you think tastes alright on its own before it's cooked. It doesn't have to be delicious, but you want to get an idea of how it will work in the finished sauce.

what kind of tomatoes did you use?

There's probably a lot of salt in whatever tomato puree you used.

Not, I am using one that has 0.4% salt content and no other additives.

Red ones from the supermarket. They don't name the exact tomato variants they sell in any store in my area.

6.8/10. I almost fell for it.

Fell for what?

cook the onions first, then add the garlic OR you can crush it and add it later into the sauce with other ingredients

try grating the carrots instead of dicing, should make the sauce tastier and juicier

do you use fresh herbs or dried ones?

>Don't brown your garlic. Start with onions first, they take longer to cook.
this

Fresh ones. I will try grating the carrots and will also switch back to pressing the garlic, like i did in my previous attempts, instead of trying to extract the flavors using olive oil.

What are your thougths on my spice mix?

ok because besides dried thyme , the dried herbs taste like ass
try adding some pepper, and mabye less lemon? idk how big and sour they are

>500g of tomato puree
What the fuck you mean 500g of that concentrated tomato puree? They sell those in small 70g cans like the pic, you using 7 of those? That stuff is really sour/acidic no wonder it tastes like puke. I usually use 1-2 of those 70g cans per ~500g tomatoes.
Add it before the actual tomatos and sort of sautee it with the onion stuff for a bit, it's supposed to remove the tangy taste a bit but Im sure sure if it actually works. Also just add the garlic at the same time as the onion, if you brown them too much they can turn bitter, it'll dissolve in the sauce while simmering.

i meant to say freshly ground pepper

Not the concentrated one, just standard non concentrated, non altered tomatoes that have been blended.

pic related

Use tinned tomatoes instead of fresh and skip the puree
Use basil
Cut the carrot

I usually make the red sauce and add shit like cooked minced meat after. That way I can keep the left over sauce and use it in other things

Red wine reduction after cooking the vegetables. You could use balsamic vinegar as well. Should help on the flavor and aroma.

Also, don't burn garlic. Brown is too much. Burnt garlic tastes terrible.

Does anyone here have a link to a mirror of that disaster sauce video? I can't remember the name... Aunt Marie sauce or something?

I dont know why it would taste awful then but why you using both canned tomatos and normal tomatos? It's the same thing basically. Maybe too little vetgetables, 1 onion and 1-2 (?) carrots sounds quite little for 1 kg tomatos. Sounds like you're just eating straight tomatoes. If it's too acidic maybe try a little (!) baking soda. Also I dont like the parsley and chives in there but maybe that's just me. Basil thyme are good.
You dont use meat? I usually add a little soy sauce/fish sauce in tomato sauces and maybe some cayenne.

youtu.be/lI2lWuoMV3I

Lol @ how she cuts the onion. This is satire right?

Thank you my man

Don't start off with the garlic, add things in order of doneness, no one likes burnt garlic.

You added the carrots too late/added the tomatoes too soon
Also don’t put fucking citrus in your sauce
But most of all, go really really easy on the sugar
Anons don’t realize how detrimental sugar can be to tomato sauces.
I add ONE TEA SPOON to an entire huge pot of sauce and it DRASTICALLY alters the flavor.

Shit forgot to mention you added garlic too soon. Do all your veggies and aromatics first and garlic goes last right before the meats. Otherwise you’ll burn that shit and it’ll be bitter and fuck up the whole thing.

Why are you measuring everything? You aren't baking a cake

Try this:

>Pour 15mL EVOO into an already hot, thick-bottomed pan, and add 30g salted butter. As butter melts, add 3-5 crushed garlic cloves and cook until brown. Careful not to burn the butter or garlic.
>Set aside when done.
>Clean pot if necessary, but get another hot, heavy-bottomed pan on high heat . Add 40-60mL of EVOO quickly followed by 150g of Italian pasata.
>DO NOT STIR.
>Add 1tsp brown sugar and 3/4tsp of salt. DO NOT STIR
>It will bubble and spatter for a few mins. When bubbles get small, add 45g diced white onlion and 120g quartered cherry tomatoes.
>Finally you may stir. Lower heat to 6/10 and chill out until tomatoes have mostly melted into the sauce (not the skins, the innards).
>Add another 150 grams of pasata.
>Add some lemon zest, add your garlic butter, 1/2tsp fresh ground black pepper, 30mL EACH of red wine, white wine, and vodka.
>Mostly cover your pot and let cook for 10 mins. Stir periodically to avoid burning the bottom of the sauce (or let it burn a lil bit and stir that dark goodness in.)
>After the 10 mins, add 1/4tsp cayenne pepper.
>Cover mostly and let cook another 5 mins.
>After this time is up, add a couple fresh basil leaves and 2tsp good quality red wine vinegar.
>Remove from heat to let cool, and you may blend it with an immersion blender if desired.
>Ideally, you want to add steaming, dripping pasta directly to your pot of sauce.

Enjoy!