Do you buy salted or unsalted butter? Unsalted is more expensive here...

Do you buy salted or unsalted butter? Unsalted is more expensive here, but I don't want my baked goods tasting excessively salty.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=autism and tastebuds
lmgtfy.com/?q=autism and unoriginaltiy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For the home cook it doesn't make any sense to buy unsalted.

You can add salt yourself, specifically the type of salt you want to add. I add PHS to my butter when I want salt and butter.

Unsalted makes more sense 99% for most people unless you do butter on bread everyday and never use it for baking or cooking.

Also a lot of people use salted butter to cover for a lower quality butter.

>never use it for baking or cooking.
The tired "you can't bake at home with salted butter" meme is played out.
All good butters come in salted and unsalted.

You guys are weird. What baked good calls for less salt than is present in salted butter?

None, they are just full of shit.

that's actually backwards. i don't know anything that i'd rather use salted butter in. it's way easier to add salt than attempt to cover it up.

It's just easier to add your butter, knowing you're not adding any salt, then add as much salt as you need, rather than calculating the exact amount of salt in your butter (and it may not even be accurate).

It's less of a big deal when cooking as opposed to baking, but some things react poorly to salt during the cooking process.

Unsalted is more expensive in your area? Weird, they’re exactly the same price around me.

>but some things react poorly to salt during the cooking process.
like what?

I mostly buy unsalted but always keep a stick of salted around. Salted has the perfect amount for eggs.

Why would unsalted be more expensive? It has fewer ingredients.

Salted one banned in my country

why? which country?

Tillamook unsalted.

Also, their xxxtra sharp cheddar is goat.

Salted is better if you buy in bulk and store butter for long periods of time (it can develop mold you know). Otherwise, unsalted will do just fine.

I buy heavy cream and make my own that way I can use the fresh buttermilk for pancakes and it I want it soured Norwegian style I can do that with a yogurt or creme fraiche culture before breaking it

Margarine

Germany reporting in.

There is no reason at all to use salted ones in normal day to day life. Even if you like your fresh bread, or "toast" as you farts call that abomination, you can just add some later on. Or just go for herb butter instead. If you don't live without electricity or expect a fallout while wanting to have your sticks still fresh, there is no reason to buy that shit.

>Or just go for herb butter instead
or just go for soy butter, or semen butter

>or "toast" as you farts call that abomination
What the fuck is wrong with toast? Toast is delicious.

>amerifarts can't into Kräuterbutter
You honestly thought it's "butter" made out of herbs, user?

Are you a butter expert? Did you go to butter college?

Might be but it's not real bread. It's like "cheese product" comparing to Gouda.

>or "toast"
are all toasters and ovens still banned in Germany?

I just wrote my PhD in "the nucular micro-nutriental benefits of unsalted butter on the supreme huwhite human body in relation to the aryan migrational patterns of our Übermensch forefathers".

We have ovens, user. Big ovens.

You do know that toast is any bread that is toasted right? It's not exclusively shitty white sandwich loaves. I personally like a nice crusty sourdough for my morning toast.

dude is that weed?

>getting that kleinkariert
We all know what is meant by "toast" in the american context, user. It's like trying to explain that technically ketchup is jam because tomatoes are fruits.

It means bread that is toasted in the american context.

unsalted butter is preferable for cooking and baking because you can more precisely control the amount of salt in a dish.

i'll use salted butter for toast, though thats about it. i don't generally have it in my home.

They are not, you just have to get a WeBrSBoL (Weissbrotschnellbackofenlizenz) to own them

Don't bother. pretty soon those europoors are only going to have halal butter anyways

>halal butter
That white toasted abomination is obviously getting onto your brain, my dear tommy.

For most of my cooking I use a French style butter if it's available

"Don't know why anybody'd eat unsalted butter. Might as well eat Vaseline. Got about as much flavor."

It was a joke Ahmed

>halal butter
i thought halal meant the animal was slaughtered in the proper way, no animals are slaughtered for dairy products

You obviously haven't had real German butter.

>German butter contains meat
Retard

I buy both to be honest, sometimes when I'm using salt already in a dish like break with eggs and toast I'll use salted butter, but on a cake I'll use unsalted.

>He hasn't had real German butter.

Wait, do you seriously think something needs to contain meat to be non-halal?

This user knows what's up.
Or do you think the germans can produce things without blood and suffering? Pic related, the only real kind of german butter is made with pig blood after the siege of vienna to accompany the austrian "Hörnchen" (Croissant) as a sign of the defeat of the Ottoman empire.

Salted, and I bake with it all the time. Every recipe calls for at least half a teaspoon of salt anyway, I just skip it.

>gettingconfused.jpg
Reread the thread, brains.

I did, you responded to a person who said you haven't had german butter, that person responded to someone saying no animals are slaughtered for dairy products. Just because animal parts are used in the process does not mean that the end product contains meat.

Just ignore him, americans never listen.

>animals are slaughtered for milk
Retard.

>for milk
Ah yes, the one dairy product in existence, milk. Do americans really know this little about the production of food?

Fuck off, It's all made from milk so it's the same, you don't need anything else but the milk for the other stuff anyways.

Yeast

In Poland, during the martial law, shortly before the fall of the Soviet regime, the situation got so bad that the government had to supply salted butter instead of regular; the supply was running out and strategic reserves of salted butter (salted so that it could be stored much longer) were released.

Salted butter is literally the symbol of the darkest hour of crisis in Poland.

It expires quicker

>type of salt

Yeah today I would like to put the sweet salt in my butter

Lmfao you're a topgun

So then wouldn't German butter be symbolic of Poland's most enlightened period?

>I don't want my baked goods tasting excessively salty
never ever had that problem, there's not enough salt in it and if there's salt in the recipe you could just remove some?

there's literally like 1g of salt in 100g of butter, or 1/5th of a teaspoon

This is false.

for you

Salted lasts longer, it's really the only one you can leave out of the fridge for any amount of time.

you (as in people who cook) buy salted and unsalted butter.

Of course, but the damn Pollacks could never admit it.

Both. The last time I was in one of these threads, someone told me that was dumb as it takes up too much room in the fridge and that I should just buy unsalted and salt some of it myself.

Thanks for reminding me, OP

some of us don't go through a stick a week and would like room temp butter to spread on bread. Salted butter lasts longer on the counter. Also, adding salt on top isn't a great idea since the crystals don't have anything to dissolve into and you end up crunching the grains. And finally, most people can afford to have more the one type of butter in their house. unsalted in the fridge and salted on the counter. Get fucked kraut.

>some of us don't go through a stick a week and would like room temp butter to spread on bread

That works just fine for unsalted butter too. Remember you don't have to leave out the whole thing, you can leave out only what you will use before it goes bad. If a whole stick goes bad before you use it all then just leave out half-sticks, etc.

I've never had salted butter in my life, nor do I know anyone who uses it
It's really unpopular over here, and I can see why - why would you want your butter to be salty when whatever you're putting on it probably salty already? also it sounds awfully inconvenient for cooking and baking

that's not even mentioning the fact that most people consume way too much salt anyway

but don't you see how you're just making your life harder for no reason than arbitrarily not buying butter ideal for the application you most use it for. cutting sticks in half, sprinkling salt on toast all so you don't have to buy salted? why not buy both and store them to be used as needed.

>>making life harder
How? I don't need to cut my butter, I get by just fine leaving out whole sticks. I also don't sprinkle salt on toast; I find that unsalted butter works just fine for that.

My point was limited to the fact that the "problem" you mentioned is a total non-issue, nothing less nothing more.

I prefer to buy unsalted butter for maximum flexibility. If you buy salted you can never take the salt out again. With unsalted you can use it for any purpose butter might call for.

Here's the thing, normal butter is salted butter. So when a recipe throughout the ages calls for X amount of butter, the recipe already accounts for the salt in the normal butter.

I have never had, nor heard anyone comment that a dish or baked good was too salty solely based on the salt content of the butter used.

I haven't heard that either.

But one thing you might not know: the amount of salt present in a baking recipe is very important because it controls how fast the yeast multiplies, which in turn affects the texture and rise of the bread (or cake, or whatever else you're baking). Salt content in baking is much more than just "how salty does it taste".

Depends on where the recipe is from. If it's something your grandma wrote down, or it's from the church potluck cookbook then sure, salted butter is probably assumed. But if you get recipes from serious or professional sources the type of butter will be stated, and if it's in the case of baking then unsalted butter is assumed.

>So salt tolerant that it you basically need 5% salt brine to kill it
>Sensitive to salt
Pick one

Also this.

Any recipe not american will call for unsalted butter, user. Just because you still can use salted butter and most plebs wont think of it as off doesn't mean that's what it is supposed to taste. Just today I made Vanillekipferl and I can assure you that they would taste off if made with salted butter.

It's like only using canned vegetables, because they last forever instead of going with raw ones to be able to make any dish possible with it. As the other user said, there is no reason to move the whole stick of butter out of the fridge if you don't use it as often, or just place it at the bottom of the fridge where it's the warmest. And honestly, those 5 minutes which it takes for butter to be soft enough to use it on any bread worth its name can be spend cutting up your meat or veggies and toasting for your sandwhich. It's an absolute non-issue. Salted butter is literaly a war and third world item, like clorine pills.

>and I can assure you that they would taste off if made with salted butter.
Autism.

salted butter for spread, like for bread and cornbread and muffins

unsalted butter for all else, season to taste

I don't think the word means what you think it means.

lmgtfy.com/?q=autism and tastebuds

Does it mean that you won't be able to tell the difference between salted and unsalted recipe. Especially if you measure your salt volumetrically, how do you know you are using the same type/brand salt as the author? And unless you are measuring by weight then you must have a scale that can accurately measure cocaine for distribution. Given all of that, unless you are making industrial sized batches of product the variance will still not matter.

You can now safely purchase salted butter and not have to do stupid shit when you want a piece of buttered bread. Thank me later.

>using basic normie "lmgtfy" reply as an answer
Let me guess, your mum still actually makes your food so the only butter you come in contact with is the salted one for your sandwiches after school before playing "cheese product" on top.

>same type/brand salt as the author
Is this a meme?

Most cookies and cakes are made with "sweet" butter, adding in the case of Vanillekipferl (450g of butter) 9g of salt, which is nearly a table spoon full and will make them taste like shit.

Making a point of your priority which is putting it on bread, clearly shows your actuall kitchen know how. Enjoy your war rations.

>your mom!!

lmgtfy.com/?q=autism and unoriginaltiy

>Is this a meme?
no, salt density makes a difference when measuring volumetrically, (I now question your cooking ability, this is basic culinary school day 2 shit)

>Most cookies and cakes are made with "sweet" butter,
Yes sweet creamed is the standard in the US, you have to seek out cultured buttered.

>9g of salt, which is nearly a table spoon full
Lol, no.