Books about art theory? In particular concepts of modern, contemporary and PoCo and mathematics in art?

Books about art theory? In particular concepts of modern, contemporary and PoCo and mathematics in art?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_art
simpsonsarchive.com/other/special/philosophy.html
monoskop.org/images/a/a2/Worringer_Wilhelm_Abstraction_and_Empathy_1997.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=KAExa9P7hME
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

Veeky Forums stands for LITERATURE, we mainly talk about fiction or philosophy/theology here, there are several boards where it would make more sense to ask this question and where people would give better answers than anyone here. Read the rules before posting.

Non-fiction counts

Art in Theory 1900 - 2000
Art Since 1900: Modernism, Antimodernism, Postmodernism

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_art
gotchu user ;))))
but for real mate
>posting about art on Veeky Forums

Eh there isn't really any place on Veeky Forums to discuss art theory, /ic/ is saturated with concept art tools who what to learn how to '""draw""', it's sad really. I would say that philosophy and theology are very important elements of the visual arts and vice versa.

don't be a tool

> OP: Books about art theory
>Books
>BOOKS

> You: Veeky Forums stands for LITERATURE

Fucking moron. We have nonfiction too, dumbass.

Uncultured swine. I bet all you only read Stephen King novels and A Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

just an hero asap tyvm.

Start with the Greeks you stupid faggot.

Sir I know nothing about art.

Can you please save your protestations for stupid /pol/ threads rather than an actually interesting subject.

good post

"This Is Modern Art" is an interesting, slightly cheeky breeze through 20th century art. It does explore the ideas behind why artists wanted to do what they did at the time, relating things to the historical moment, while at the same time acknowledging "but yes, it was just a can of shit, after all." (My paraphrase).

Any large monograph about an artist that you like or are interested in is worth your time. I'm unironically reading a huge book about (((Rothko))) at the moment.

Speaking of math in art, the best available book about M.C. Escher is "M.C. Escher: His Life and Complete Graphic Work." Biography + reproductions of all prints, although the reproductions aren't huge, they are complete - as far as the prints go, his primary medium.

You're the one sperging out about muh /pol/ boogeyman in an unrelated thread

read walter benjamin and baudelaire, probably. maybe other semioticians. i havent read much about this stuff, more about film

simpsonsarchive.com/other/special/philosophy.html
(thank you)

/pol/ is real, click to see:

>being this much of a sperger you think because you don't know books on a subject, those books must not exist
lel
Good recs. Add After Modern Art by Hopkins, and if you want to get some seriously dense theory, Foster edited a book called Postmodernism for Plato Classics iirc (it's definitely the right author and title, but I might be wrong on the publisher)

Mathematics in art is a broader subject. You can SWTG and go back to Polykleitos' Canon, which is why all ancient statues look that way and why none of them are anatomically correct. Anything with Piero [della Francesca] in the title or written by him will give you the standard on Renaissance perspective. this user hits on Escher, and if you want a broader study of math and his relation to it, Godel Escher Bach is very easy to find, though more math focused.
Going to the modern period, The Grammar of Ornament is a must have, and codified the origins and types of style recognised by the Victorians. It's a lot more examples of patterns than text, but probably one of the most used visual dictionaries of the period.

If you want to next level it, Penrose.

Sorry, Postmodern Culture published by Pluto Classics. His other works are highly recommended too, I just will fuck up their titles rn so google

but it's true, half the longer threads these days seem to be devolving into discussions about the "global jew." These people are more irritatingly single-minded than the worst Marxists or Evangelicals.

Veeky Forums is less about literature now and more just about kids trying to be Intelligent
i get that you think you're maturing and so you want to get into something Big and Serious like Art, especially Modern Art Paintings, but trust me, fuck off

your stupid and im a genius

reading the recognitions is making me want to get into painting, does anyone want to bully me out of it before i embarrass myself

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

bump

monoskop.org/images/a/a2/Worringer_Wilhelm_Abstraction_and_Empathy_1997.pdf

>the zeitgeist of the time must be false by default

These are good suggestions. The Shock of the New is also a nice intro to modernism and it's on youtube. there's a book too and then a follow up.

Don't do it
youtube.com/watch?v=KAExa9P7hME

I watched this muted and was deeply disturbed. However, this didn't discourage me. If anything, it encouraged me to paint just to spite the complete retard who made this

Ok and the fact that's its actually text to speech makes it even more disturbing. I don't like you user

I don't know why that video gets posted all the time. I think it's just the one person who was thoroughly convinced by it

or who made it

>today's bohemian is the world wide web flaneur wasting in his mother's basement
>nameless artisans have created the myriad fleeting cave paintings of this ephemeral era
holy.. i want more...