What is it about the California Roll that has made it completely dominate the western sushi scene?

What is it about the California Roll that has made it completely dominate the western sushi scene?

tastes good, not as scary as nigiri (though that fear is misplaced)

more of a general mass appeal flavor that can cater to people with inexperienced palates when it comes to sushi

Great question user
I’ve always had the feeling most people don’t even realize it’s imitation crab meat. If they did, it wouldn’t of gotten as popular as it did.

It doesn't.
At least, not here. Here, if you order a California roll, you've outed yourself as someone who either doesn't like sushi or knows nothing about sushi. One of those can be remedied.

Because western pallets favor simplistic and mild flavor profiles

Taste good, cheap, filling.

I'm not paying 2 bucks a pop for 1 salmon nigiri, fuck you. I'll get a 7 dollar combo of western sushi and a salmon sashimi on the side.

>If you read young adult novels, you've outed yourself as someone that doesn't like reading or knows nothing about reading

That's what you sound like. People have different tastes and preferences than you. Nobody likes a snob.

The roll doesn't have raw fish in it and the oil from the avocado is similar to than from raw fish.

>western pallets favor simplistic and mild flavor profiles
user, Japs have those. Everything is either raw or drowned in salty soy sauce.

> western sushi scene

instant gag reflex.

You just described Japanese cuisine

Avocado will take over world

>pallets
Retard.

Why do you think I posted that pic, einstein?

I have images filtered.
No idea what you posted.

BTW, were you trying for some kind of pun?

You wrote 'pallet' and posted image of a pallet.

The word for mouth section is palate.

If you meant this as some kind of joke, sorry, I didn't find it all that funny.

>were you trying for some kind of pun
Clearly

>If you meant this as some kind of joke, sorry, I didn't find it all that funny.

Oh, god, forgive me! I only posted that because I wanted to make you, great user, laugh. I have failed you.

Yuppies and lower middle class who want to be like them.

It has cream cheese, avocados and mayo, perfect for the American palates

They're pretty good if they have actual crab in them. I admit to liking even regular California rolls and other 'junk food' rolls though. Different time and place for them vs Japanese/Traditional sushi. For my bachelor party we went to a sushi place and ordered a fuckton of different rolls with goofy ingredients and it was really fun.

>For my bachelor party we went to a sushi place and ordered a fuckton of different rolls with goofy ingredients and it was really fun.

Wow, better tone down that wild behavior you crazy man, someone might get hurt.

PA?

It's not nearly as intimidating as actual raw fish. It's a "safe" way for people scared of sushi to start out.

autism

Don’t worry, user. I had a grand old chuckle

for my brother's bachelor party, I got profoundly smashed on rum and magic mushrooms and spent most of the night vomiting on random parked cars.

Marketing. The margin on a California Roll is absurd, so businesses looked for a way to push them and "if you want to try sushi but don't actually want to eat raw fish" was the gimmick they pushed it with.
Not that the margins on other sushi are bad, of course.

Nope. I live in NYC and the party was in DC where my brother lives.

Later that night I took acid for the first time. I couldn't get drunk even though they kept giving me drinks and when I ate super spicy takeout vindaloo I didn't really feel anything, really weird experience. I kinda wanna do it again sometime just to see what other foods are like.

Sushi grade fish isn't readily available in most places.

I like crunch.

But what you said about YA is true. Anyone with a modicum of taste hates John Green

>missed the joke because you have images filtered
>while you yourself post an image of the same joke
>get butt mad you didnt get the joke
whew

Simple and complementary flavours. Avocado + Imitation Crab + Rice = tasty.

why the fuck is sushi so expensive in california compared to japan

fucking california rolls for $4-5 and spicy tuna rolls for $6

shit is ridiculous

and all the shitty artisan rolls filled with sickly sweet sauces is $10-15 a roll

Sushi is literally raw fish on rice, it doesn't get much simpler.

Because the name.

What did you get in japan then? Seriously the best tasting food when I was staying over there this summer was anything not natively japanese. All the other authentic Japanese food is usually very bland, uses lots of oils to mask it, and often a sweetener or the like.

because you're willing to pay for it at that price

Underrated post. California Rolls don't seem to have the same 'ew raw fish' reaction that both sushi and nigiri have.

>I'm retarded
>that's why I didn't get the joke
congratulations my friend

yoga moms love that shit
>tfw make $1,800 a week franchising a sushi bar in a grocery store

all of its ingredients are incredibly cheap

Don't worry, I thought it was funny.

>images filtered on an imageboard
Gas.

i lived in nippon. i know the medium quality toro nigiri tastes like butter and sex, but i still like western sushi.
its like apples and oranges. shit like this doesnt exist in japan, but its delicious.
>vegas and caterpillar roll
its only labeled japan cus of the folder but its american sushi

Because it's actually pretty tasty, while incorporating ingredients already familiar to the Western palate?

Avocado is wonderful on its own dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. Properly made sushi rice is delicious. The cucumber and sesame seeds add textural diversity and some freshness. And the crab can be pretty tasty too!

California rolls with a heavy coating of tobiko on the outside are some of my favorite things to eat. Reminds me of when my parents would bring home boxes of the stuff for lunch on weekends when I was younger.

I've had a lot of very good sashimi, but nevertheless California rolls are very comforting to me. They have their place. Honestly I think people who look down on California rolls are just trying to show off how "sophisticated" their tastes are, which I've noticed is often the case with people getting into East Asian foods in general.

It is cheap.
Shit's so popular, normies aren't even scared of eating raw fish anymore.
What I'm actually most bothered by is the fact that all sushi rolls contain avocado nowadays. Fucking Christ.

>tobiko

Honestly this is why I'll never shit on California rolls. Anything with roe is good by me.

>tfw popping them between my teeth

I wish you could see this image, because it's the one you need to see the most.

If you're in LA try SushiStop. Its cheap and it beats anything but the top tier of sushi restaurants. I think it was $2.95 per roll last I checked

Its because california rolls are cucumber, avocado, and fake crab meat. It's not really sushi at that point.

It's easier to get decent avocado than decent fatty tuna

california is bad at food

>I have images filtered.

Do they actually have cream cheese in it, or are you confusing it with Philadelphia rolls?

It doesn't

>Honestly I think people who look down on California rolls are just trying to show off how "sophisticated" their tastes are
Naturally. The classics of any topic, whether it's media, music, food, are always derided by insecure people who can't see that the classics are classic for a reason.

Not speaking of anyone here btw, Veeky Forums is cool

So was the California Roll invented in Vancouver or Los Angeles?

>california
>avocado
Avocado is like meth to hipster

Its pleb. Thats why. Most places use fake crab too.

It's fine. Also, why don't japs use fermented fish? They have lots of other fermented foods as I can see.

t. non-american

>filtering images on an image board
Most autistic thing I've seen all week

For sushi? They used to. The earliest versions of sushi were made by lacto-fermentation. Nowadays that flavor comes from the vinegar added to the rice. But yeah, I think it's called "funazushi" or something similar. It's one of the earliest forms of sushi, and it still exists today. Though from what I hear it's considered a bit of an acquired taste, a bit like blue cheese.

Well, I guess I have only seen the americanized version

Because of its name.