Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Is there a technical name for finely cut mirepoix being boiled down into a broth/puree substance?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer#Medieval_Europe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

soffrito

well it has its own thread now

Unfiltered vegetable stock

What is the key to browning ground beef? I know the idea is not to steam it but I've never heard a clear explanation of how to prevent that

Hot skillet, medium size pan, angled walls?

Medium temp, large pan, straight walls?

Cast iron? Non-stick? Stainless?

What combination here is ideal

you're uh, supposed to break it apart first

Only a little oil on a hot skillet, with constant movement. Oh and not being a fucking retard.

High heat and a pan with a high thermal density.

I own very few cooking utensils and my fridge/pantry is perennially dominated by beverages and junk food. I want to make oishii homemade food daily, but whenever I start grocery shopping I end up spending $30 per meal, and realize that I need some $15 pan or device I don't already own. Then when I get home I spend a majority of my evening in the kitchen and make a ton dirty dishes and silverware. Then I eat and go to bed dissatisfied with my use of my free time, wake up late, look at my messy kitchen, and microwave a breakfast burrito instead of cooking the elaborate breakfast I planned.
I also don't know what good prices for groceries are, and I'm usually too lazy to carry a notepad to the grocery store and track from week to week. I feel like if money were no object I could buy all the equipment I need, have all my groceries on hand, and I would have enough experience to cook frugally in the future. But that's obviously not a solution.
How do I fix this problem and cut myself off from eating prepackaged and microwave meals all the time without breaking the bank or making boring food? I don't want to eat a piece of white meat on rice with steamed vegetables every night.

do you like braided honey pretzels

The picture was a joke

Not saying I have any issues with browning beef. I just kind of do it over medium high in a cast iron skillet. Was just want to have a better understanding of the dynamics. For example can you properly brown 2 pounds of beef in a 10" skillet or is it going to steam it?

Guys, do you have any recipes for basic cooking using the oven? Recently bought oven so i wanna get started on making variety of dishes using it. Anything involving meat pls

Where does Veeky Forums get their recipes?

batch it. You have 2 pounds to brown off nicely and worry about a crowded pan? Crumble in a third or so and brown it, put aside and repeat.

a baking soda brine for 20 minutes before browning. Like less than a teaspoon per lb mixed with a tablespoon of water.

>constant movement
You have no right calling anyone else a fucking retard

While batching it can help avoid drawing out moisture, I cant stress having a hot enough skillet/wok.

Google.com

you're right, the meme should be set-it-and-forget it!

:^)

>i aksed nicely
>forgot this was Veeky Forums

Ya good point, I would never do that and yet I got called a retard

I thought the idea is to damn near "burn" it by letting it get a nice hot sear. But it's the pan dimension shit that is throwing me off. Do the fucking sides of the pan matter? (angled vs straight)

I don't think anyone knows actually knows

Perhaps the same could be said of all QTDDTOT

So as long as the other factors are in order hot as fuck is the way to go?

You're supposed to break it into (large) pieces, let it brown a little, then break it into smaller pieces and stir. If you stir constantly then you'll end up with tiny rabbit shit size (or smaller) balls of ground beef. A chinky constitency is what most people prefer.

>A chinky constitency
Racial slurs and cannibalism is frowned upon here.

Well the first guy just doesn't know how to cook and by sound of it doesn't enjoy it. And everyone else is asking for recipes. You hardly see recipes posted on this board.

Chunky*

As it cooks it will release a lot of fat and juices. It sometimes helps to drain a bit of that.
Also, start with a really fucking hot pan. Stainless or cast. Not non stick.

Yeah, but we can also add other simple Veeky Forums related questions to this thread with no problems...hopefully
Such as...

Am I a Veeky Forums pleeb because I usually use pre cut veggies in my dishes because I’m too lazy to cut onions and peel garlic?

Yes I agree with other anons that a really hot pan is how to brown except I never do this because I hate all the grease spitting out at my tender skin and burning my plus ruining my clean stove and clean floors and clean clothes

Finally a useful bit of advice on technique

>If you stir constantly then you'll end up with tiny rabbit shit size (or smaller) balls of ground beef. A chinky constitency.

I guess OP's first mistake was deciding to cook with ground beef anyway.

Saying you're too lazy is just annoying and nigger-tier, not pleb tier. Most people here would shit on you just because they've worked in a kitchen. They likely had a pretty hard job for 12 hours a day, and people saying they're too lazy for shit that takes nearly zero effort is the epitome of faggotry.

I’ve been using a way too much Veeky Forums lately, and most of my post these days have either the word faggot or nigger somewhere in there. Yeah it’s rubbing off on me a little too much I think

Don't used google it will take you down a road paved by shit bloggers who tell stories with a recipe at the end. I just use youtube.

You know, I thought the same thing about 11 years ago

What do you get if you make beer without hops or gruit? Is it just sweet, malty water with alcohol?

Breaded chicken thighs or pork chops.
>dip in egg
>dip in seasones bread crumbs
>bake
350-375° f is a good range. Cooking time varies on meat thiccness.
This is a cheap and tasty way to get used to oven cooking times. A meat thermometer is handy if you dont trust yourself to tell doneness by firmness.

10/10 plating

From what i understand you can make alcohol with just sugar, water and yeast. Its not good though.

>chinky
>go back to /pol/

Wait...so was I saying something that was nigger-tier, or was I being the epitome of faggotry?

Also, I never worked in a kitchen because I always had a regular job, which made me tired when I got home home MY 12 hour shift, which is why I’m too tired to cry over cutting onions. You were used to it because your job was to cut onions. You might be the faggot here.

Why does every women start their recipes with a fucking story about their kids and house?
Just shut the fuck up and tell me how many minutes in the oven for my chicken!

2010 was a simpler time, friendo. You should see this counter as it is right now

LIFE IS SO CRAZY RIGHT NOW LOL! HSBAND HAS A INTERVIEW NEXT MONTH!!! AS YOU CAN IMAGINE CLAYDEN HAS BEEN GETTING CARROTS AND PEANUT BUTTER FOR LUNCH AND I"VE BEEN GETTING A GLASS OF CHARDONAY TEHEE

Whoops meant to link

>too lazy to cut onions
>dedicated enough to respond to bait

He was saying you are a fag because you don't wash dishes for a career

I just found this, supposedly the medieval English way of making beer was to use only malted barley, water and yeast. Whereas adding hops was considered a German or Dutch thing to do, which makes you fat and gassy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer#Medieval_Europe

>once again England was on the wrong side of culinary history.

They occupy that weird zone of things that I always enjoy when they're given to me but I'll never choose for myself when shopping.

I’ll give that a try. Thanks, user

Go to goodwill or other second hand stores. Slowly build up your arsenal. In the mean time, a large frying pan, a baking sheet and a metal spatula do 90% of the work. Maybe you are trying too complicated recipes?

I have a simple question that i'd like some help with.
What's the proper way to carve a roast turkey? i usually cut downward parallel with the backbone in order to make thin slices of meat, but are there other methods that would help me harvest the most meat from it?

HAH! Too true, my friend.

Can I generally expect to see a bunch of good sales in frozen turkeys after Thanksgiving, or is that just a bad assumption on my part?

ima make some soup and bought this 1200g piece. cost me 9 euro's so i probably should have made sure it had less meat or something.

anyway i am just gonna simmer it for 9 something hours in a lot of water.
does it matter how much water i use? i was just gonna add a shitton.

look up braises

What is the ideal beer to use as a liquid when cooking chilli?

No, they are cheaper, or free before Thanksgiving

Yes, youtube is sooooo much better than 'shit bloggers.' Nobody uses youtube like it's a video blog. Good tip on how to avoid bloggers and blogging type media.

Depends on the Chili, but for classic style chili, probably a porter or stout, something dark and malty.

What salt level do you use to lacto ferment things? Everything I make is always too salty but im using the amount everyone says to use to prevent botulism. How low do you go?

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

No advice to get more meat from it but I like the method of cutting the breast off in one big piece and slicing it so that every portion has some skin. Great for if there are several to many people so everyone gets at least some skin and your fat uncle doesnt just take it all.

Not really. Stores are going to stock enough turkeys so that they sell everything they have and not have extra. Having extra and having to sell at a discount means they're either not making OR losing money.

Wasn't a tip to avoid bloggers, just their websites and their shit stories. Just giving advice on were someone can pick up a recipe. Thanks for the expected shitheaded response without offering where you get recipes.

>Thanks for the expected shitheaded response without offering where you get recipes.
You are so welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Veeky Forums

I need to make an all-white Alexander rice pudding gelato -- so far so good. I need to add the taste of nutmeg without soiling the monochromatic look of the dessert, not even by concealing the specks in any way that would show if the person eating it reveals them while digging into it. Has anyone had any success with safely bleaching spices (can't get my hands on sulfur dioxide right now) or can think of an already white spice that closely resembles the taste of nutmeg?

Can't you extract the nutmeg flavour into something instead?

Example?

Is pumpkin mushroom ravioli okay to go on a lunch menu?

Yes.

Does anyone use bread machines? My parents just gave me an old one that they never used so I'm looking for some ideas.

Maybe don't grate it, keep it as whole as you can then Steep it into the milk/cream/whatever then pass through, sieve, chinois and cheesecloth/muslin.

Constant movement doesnt let you get any colour!

what are some tasty as fuck offal meals?

can i replace cream cheese by either butter or animal fat in oppsie bread?

Upboat to you my good sir

compost is the word you're looking for

Make bread

poopsie bread

That's occurred to me before, but I never remember during carving time. And yes, there are at least 6 people usually. I hope this helps me remember. Thank you.

>not being the fat uncle and taking all the skin
>not sneaking to the kitchen to grab the skin off the rest of the carcass
Step it up.

no, it's not

yes, it is

Is this blender a meme?

i made soupballs from 50/50 pork/beef meat. and i simmered down the water i cooked them in and put it in the fridge.
am i retarded or can i actually use this stuff for something?

No, I have one and I love it

>square pitcher
>heavy bottom
>few settings
seems pretty sweet to me

They're good blenders. Just don't breathe the dust.

not the guy but i agree. close, not sofrito

I'm looking into buying a cheap wok. What's the best kind to buy? What should I be looking for in it?

a bigass metal one. get stainless steel or something if you care what it's made of, but the chinese people who use them all the time don't

Alright, thanks. I saw some cheap cast aluminum ones at the asian supermarket so I guess I'll just grab one of those.

For browning ground meat, the angle of the pan sides will not matter.

The angle is a function of the intended use of the pan and may affect heat/moisture retention slightly but not in this case

Kek. I love those ads.

You shouldn't brown ground beef. It ruins the texture.