What was the best British Catholic Writer from the late 1800s to the 1960s?

What was the best British Catholic Writer from the late 1800s to the 1960s?

british?
for me hands down chesterton

I read Chesterton's orthodoxy and I disliked the way he glossed over ideas and individuals he disagreed with it often came off as a strawman. He would state their position or sum up what he thought was their main idea say why he would think it was wrong and then use an example or allegory which basically came down to "Egad fellow! You're absolutely insane!". It seems to be a tactic often used by Journalists they can slip in little things like that through their command of language which gives them the power of creating vivid descriptions.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, catholic orthodox, british at heart.

Was Graham Greene actually Catholic? I always figured he was a larping edgelord who got off on being a contrarian

Ronald Knox.

>british at heart.

t. doesn't know shit about Dosto

I like Flannery O'Connor the most.

I don't think you can be truly British while a Roman Catholic. TS Eliot realized this when he became a citizen and joined the CofE.

What about say John Henry Newman, Chesterton, Greene, Tolkien, Hilaire Belloc etc? England used to be Catholic for centuries and now Catholics probably outnumber CoE believers.

>Chesterton, Greene, Tolkien
Look closer, mate

So Veeky Forums

I would not consider those writers to be wholly British. The papist in post-Reformation Britain always retains something foreign about him.

Catholics in Britain only lead in Sunday attendance, a large part of which comes from immigrants.

You mean who was?

You expect me to tell these six white dudes apart?

>The papist in post-Reformation Britain always retains something foreign about him.

Tbh that's all devout Catholics in Anglo nations, really. There's a clash of culture between your nation and your faith.

>The papist in post-Reformation Britain always retains something foreign about him.
Are you from Northern Ireland by anu chance?

I read it just last week and I agree with you. I always felt like he was pulling one over on me. I wanted to believe but his arguments felt untrustworthy.

I haven't read Orthodoxy yet, but I just finished Heretics. He dedicates entire chapters/essays to specific people in Heretics, so I didn't get the feeling he was trying to gloss over anything.
What I did get, however, was the feeling that he was trying to intentionally obfuscate his points, views, and arguments through an overuse of humor, irony, and paradox. All that together gave me that untrustworthy feeling as well.
That said, he's very interesting and I think I agree with many of the points he was making in one way or another.

Yes

my diary

>I would not consider those writers to be wholly British
This doesn't make any sense, do you guys not realize that High church CofE can be near identical to Catholicism so much so they've got a personal ordinariate allowing communion without altering their practice.