Are you fluent in other languages other than English and your native language (if English was a second language)?

Are you fluent in other languages other than English and your native language (if English was a second language)?

I'm trying to learn French and Japanese everyday and hoping to learn Russian after,

I tried but I gave up. In order to learn some language you must either live in an area where it is spoken, or consumate some series or movies connected with it. Call me a weeb, but I started learning Japanese when I began watching anime, but unfortenately only 3% of the anime is worth watching - with only 3 decades of history, there isn't much choice.

The only reason why I learned English is because I watched Cartoon Network, and here I am now, reading prominent classics.

I'm a native Dutch speaker. also trying to get my french to a level of fluency. currently reading a detective novel. I think it might be a good idea to focus on one language at a time though. especially when one of them is as difficult is Japanese (I've been there before too, in my /jp/ days). good luck user. bonne chance et 頑張りましょうね

Deutsch. Trying to improve my French by reading.

How did you do it? My wife is German and I lived the last 4 years of my life in Germany but I can't german to save my life.

One language at a time.

>but unfortenately only 3% of the anime is worth watching - with only 3 decades of history, there isn't much choice.

Why do you have to speak the truth?

Learning Polish in order to move to based Poland and be able to read their gems like Henryk Sienkiewicz, Bolesław Prus, Adam Mickiewicz and many others.

I'm learning Chinese but it's especially hard since I'm naturally monotone and tone deaf.

Need to motivate my self to start learning German again. Also thinking about maybe French, Spanish and Esperanto.

German is like super retarded with its Sie, sie... You'd be better off learning Spanish or French.

I did German in high school but didn't take it up as a qualification, which I regret. Hence why I have made a number of attempts to learn it.

I made a minor start at French, though I have not continued due to overarching motivation issues.

What thoughts and experiences do people have on learning more than one language concurrently?

Native French speaker with a decent command of English. I understand and can speak some Italian and German but nowhere near fluency. Speaking English well makes one a demigod among Frogs, only problem is I got lazy because it's so convenient abroad and I lack the incentive to better myself in the other two languages I'm a little familiar with.

Native English speaker, my German is alright but not great. Trying to improve by reading in German. Also taking some baby steps into Russian, but I need more motivation.

I'm fluent in both english and french because i'm living among leaves (other than my native tongue) but i also find it easy to understand russian and german. The former is because i'm a slavshit and although i don't have a large vocabulary i can actually communicate very well with russians and the latter is apparently easier than i thought since i have german friends who tell me my pronounciation is correct and the random sentences i put together are correct as well.
it's similar to french and suprisingly easy to get a hold of desu desu sempai

Native: Czech
Other: English, Japanese (passed N1)

bruh i'm i'm also czech.
I'm really a pleb with czech authors, though. I've only read Hrabal, Capek and want to get good soldier Svejk. Any recommendations?

I only read Japanese nowadays.

race traitor

For reading books in foreign language?

I'm fluent in Spanish and I have a good memory of French for one year I took it in school.

I could be a polyglot easily, but I lack the funds to get educated. I'm not going to watch people on Youtube give their thirdhand accounts of learning a language.

precicely for that

bump

I'm a native portuguese speaker and I'm trying to improve my english the most I can. I intend to start reading some books originally written in english to expand my vocabulary.
But I'm also trying to learn Japanese.

Tough reading the greeks (in my native language to grasp the greatest quantity possible), english books and learning japanese, whilst I have to do my diary works and studies of college.

I speak 4 languages.
I was born in Lithuania in polish family so I can speak those two + English.
My grandpa is Russian so I can speak and read that one but not write tho.

My native language is Portuguese. On top of becoming fluent in English, I did Spanish but never became fluent. Currently I'm learning Japanese.

I learned French to get girls, but that didn't work so now I just use it to be pretentious.

I took a year of German and what a god damn waste of time that was. What a dumb language

Why is it dumb and what makes English better?

German is a particularly bad language, but it comes from the worst people on Earth, so that's not all that surprising.

Why are you all saying that?

I'm interested in learning Japanese and French. Does anyone know somewhere I could learn online these languages?

It's just dumb. How many different ways do you need to say "the"? Dumb

You're dumb and racist.

I'll probably get flammed for this, but you can't really learn a language as an adult.

What makes you think that?

give solid arguments

ペラペラじゃないだけど、ぼくは日本語と中国語を勉強している。今、日本で留学している。それから、八月香港に行いてそこで勉強するつもりだよ。
日本語と中国語の中で、中国語ほうが優しいと思う。習に安いから。
我真的很想学习汉语 ;——;
I used to believe all the stuff about the second language cut-off stuff, but I met a guy who just crammed Japanese for three years, not even in an immersive environment, and he's past the N1 now and can pretty easily communicate in the language. If you can get in a place where you are forced to use the language constantly, and you also have the drive to study everyday in that environment, I don't think age is that much of a problem. That's why immersion programs seem so attractive to me.

It just takes a long time, and you are gonna be opening a dictionary everyday for years, perhaps even a decade while immersing yourself thru extensive reading and talking to strangers on the web.

That's solid Japanese there user, nicely done. I wonder if you can ever lose the "accent" though, I can recognize this was not written by a native a mile away. I'm also guilty of this. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the way you use boku right off the bat and the short sentences in order to not get lost in particles fighting each other. It's all correct but so gaijingly flavored. Either way good for you, and good luck with Chinese, I read it has almost zero grammar compared to Japanese, it might take you less time than you think. A shame you're going for mainland variety though, simplified 漢字 is one atrocious thing.

Thank you Ken-sama

do you think it is possible to learn basic japanese online?

Dumb question.

could you answer?
and why is it dumb?

Thanks user, I am nowhere near good at the language, and I feel like I am the least knowledgeable here on the program, but then again I probably have also been studying for the shortest time. I could have tried to spice it up, but I am also trying to study for a final exam in a couple hours.
>I read it has almost zero grammar compared to Japanese
Yeah, it's mainly the tone and the characters that throw off westerners so it gets a bad rap. I started last semester and was impressed at how quickly I was picking it up compared to Japanese, so I want to study it more.
>A shame you're going for mainland variety though, simplified 漢字 is one atrocious thing.
Yeah, I have this concern too, but after reading arguments for and against I am less vitriolic against simplified characters; many of them are revivals of old Chinese characters I guess. I am at the very early stages of learning, so I still feel like I have some time to decide for certain.
Basics, yes. You can probably find torrents of good books (for class we started off with the Genki series), and stuff like memrise and anki aren't memes if you take it seriously enough. What I found was that speaking and listening are way more crucial than I thought. There was no native speakers besides our professor at uni, so when I first got here I barely understand anyone even though I might have been able to read what they had said, and I couldn't speak with half the grammatical complexity that I knew. If you can find some surrogate for spoken conversation online, then you should be set.

I think Genki is really a good series of books to learn japanese. I'll try to find them on internet.
It might be very difficult to understand natives speaking, but my intention is to learn by myself the basic, and then do some classes.

You should be fine then. Don't let it get you down, because there are many times where it feels pointless or impossible, but if you push through it will be worth it That's what I'm telling myself ;_;
頑張れ!

>I wonder if you can ever lose the "accent" though
Sure you just need to add some spice. Here let me fix what he typed.
まぁ、ぺらぺらじゃないけど、ボク、日本語と中国語をちゃんと勉強しているよ?実は今、日本で留学していまーす!はい!カッコイイだろ?それからそれから、は・ち・が・つ~ 香港に行って・・・うふふ、そこでもっともーっと勉強するつもりなのさ!カッコイイだろえらいだろ、へへ。って、ちょっと!頭をなでなでしないでよ、うぅ。ボク、一応男だよ?えっ?おじさん目が怖いよ?っっ!?や、やめておじさん・・・んん・・・そんなことされたらボク・・・ボクっ!
There you go, he's good to go now.

Yes, memorizing all the katakana and hiragana syllabary seems to be pretty difficult, but I know the struggle is worthy.

What's the point of learning a language other than English?

I think memorising Katakana and Hiragana will come pretty effortlessly since they are often repeated. Kanji is where some perseverance will not go remiss.

>tfw speak 4 languages
>3 of them at native level
>1 fluently
>tfw work as a warehouse monkey

this shit is not fair

>日本で留学している
日本に留学している

>八月香港に行いて
八月に香港に行って

>中国語ほうが
中国語のほうが

>習に安い
習いやすい
勉強しやすい

Mistakes aside, "the accent" you speak of is really the short sentences and how formulaic they sound.

"Adding spice" is the solution, but not in a tryhard autistic way like this

Those dice are missing den, dem, des

German is not dumb. In fact for a good stretch of history it was one of the main literary languages of the west, including English and French. Some of the best writers IMO have been German or wrote in a German dialect (Mann, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Hesse, Goethe).

German's agglutinative structure makes it an excellent language to explain ideas precisely and clearly, because you can precisely state and descriptively name nouns. This makes it an excellent language for scientific, academic, and philosophical discussion.

English is good because it incorporates many of the languages of Europe and elsewhere and is very much a hybrid language.

Many English words have words of French, Latin, Dutch, Scottish roots , cognates and origins.

I am switching between learning a language and increasing knowledge of my other native language, besides English, which I was never instructed in and cannot read.

half of that is stylistic choice

"Learning" sanskrit right now. I'd figured my fourth language should be easy by default.

Yeah, no shit. Now im with the surd-sonant dichotomy and fucking, why so many characters and almost as many rules, saying basically you only need like thirtheen? Beautiful language though; unlike fucking chinese

>fluent in OTHER languages OTHER than-

nice grammar
kys fag

America is becoming irrelevant.

Not really. You might think so, but even omitting particles has limits.

私わ日本語MASTAR