Horror stories

>be me
>cook roast in bacon grease in my cast pan in the oven
>serve dinner
>eat gain uber ego points from friends and foe
>"oh ill do the dishes" echoes from the back i slip away loose track of time everyone leaves i go to bed and awaken to my cast pan soaking in the sink with bar keeper in it.....
>loads gun thinking of cousin

not everyone has used a cast iron pan, especially younger people. they don't know you just rinse them and leave them filthy for the next time you use them

its an odd process and my cousin is 8 years my senior and her mother is a retired cook so its hard for me to follow that logic. But on a surface level very true cast pans are a different animal

For this reason exactly I forbade any of my roommates from ever touching my carbon steel pan.

ive havent gone the carbon steel route yet you like it? can you deglaze with it?

you can wash cast iron with soap and actually should

reseasoning is trivial and if you're using non-animal fat in your cooking with it it'll just congeal into a rancid sticky mess, not more seasoning

hmm do i believe a chaner or my grandmother and my own personal experience on what seasoning a cast pan is..... the world man never know

My roommates have somehow managed to scorch my cast iron pan twice, and oil still pools around the edges no matter how many times I re-season it. I haven't really used it much since and don't want to buy a new one for fear they'll fuck it up again.

I do like it, it’s like a cast iron pan but lighter. Got it on the cheap from Goodwill. With a solid seasoning on it, the pan sticks less than my Teflon pans do. The shape is better suited to sautés though. I haven’t tried deglazing with it because I was under the assumption that you can’t do that with them, just like cast iron.

I washed my friends cast iron pan.
Soap, brush, sink full of water.
They kept getting sick and could not understand why they always had diarrhea.
They almost killed me when they realized what I did and also magically stopped getting sick from their cooking.

cool looking pan really but hows it retain the heat

i clean it after every use its scraped and wiped clean hell ill use a moist paper towel at times but its not dirty

Not very well, you definitely have to keep it on the heat.

The seasoning isn't as fragile as you think. You can use soap on it. You can also use some acidic ingredients just fine. I mean, I wouldn't boil lemon juice in my CI but I don't shy away from anything with onions and tomatoes either.
You don't have to believe a "chaner" OR your grandmother, who I'm sure didn't believe in any old wive's tales at all, since you can easily try it for yourself or maybe spend two minutes on Bing.

I don't know if I agree with the other guy about animal fats, though. I use lard to season my CI and pretty frequently use it for cooking too. Haven't had a rancid sticky mess yet.

these are for camping

I have a DeBueyer carbon steel pan and I find it retains heat really well. Especially after it's been in the oven.

The pan is hefty but still light enough to toss around. Seasoning builds really well on it, but I dont usually cook delicate things with it like eggs unless I'm being lazy.

I’m the guy with the cs pan here , any tips on seasoning? I can do it, but somtimes it’s not quite as even as I’d like and every time I reseason I set off my apartment’s fire alarm and fill the whole place with smoke(no windows near the kitchen to open).

I'm and to season my pan I crank my oven to max heat and put in the well oiled pan upside down. It doesn't smoke as much as doing it on a stovetop but its still smelly.

You two are retards. Try pulling that in a high end restaurant. You'll be fired within a day.

oil side down and i unplug the smoke alarm and open every window and i do it a few times i did it twice today

oh please dishwasher do tell

I mean, I obviously clean the dishes. I know what gets tossed through and what doesn't. Are you sure you want to go down this path? Are you really incapable of two step logic?

no im incapable of giving you any credit or slack.

did you find this high end place on Yelp you fag

I think you're just upset because you forgot that dishwashers are the ones who clean the dishes. Executive chef is the one who told me to toss the cast irons through the dishwasher. The only thing we have to do is spray it with oil after setting it on the rack.

calm down killer it takes 1 hour to season cast iron

you sound so cucked its hilarious go back to the dish pit

>cucked when I probably make more than you even just doing dishwashing
I literally don't even have to do anything half the time.

hahaha i know its just upsetting is all

hahahahahaha thinking you make money cleaning up after people eating is hilarious enjoy that small thinking while you openly submit to others in your dialogue kys you pot scrubbing faggot i make more before noon than you do in a week

Nice LARP, neet.

im an HVAC service tech and I work for myself with my father. tell me again how your dishes goes faggot

>I'm a product of nepotism! Worship me!
If this is a dick measuring contest, I don't even have to work. Inheritance would take care of me for the rest of my life.

ill roll a rack off a chink fixing his walk in cooler so the health dept doesnt shut him down before the restaurant opens faggot

so you scrub dishes yeah fucking right. suck start a shotgun faggot

Pro seasoner here, i have a few decades of using cast iron and have tried a little of everything heres a quick rundown-
1. Cast iron is much more durable than you think. Seasoning with the "wrong" oil wont kill it. My dad stripped and reseasoned his Lodge after his wife used olive oil to season. Totally not necessary.
2. Soap on occasion is a good thing. Dirt, dust, crud, and non carbonized oil accumulates and eventually creates a layer of crap that works into the season. A light soapy water rinse every few uses ensures that only clean oil stays on the surface long enough to carbonize into seasoning.
3. Abrasives typically arent a good idea. Scotchbrite pads and brillo are very harsh and tend to remove your seasoning. Those same products are used in wood working and are essentially sandpaper. Coarse kosher salt and a paper towel work great to clean, as does a scraping from a wooden utensil and yes, some lightly soapy water and a sponge occasionally too.
4. It is possible to over season. The ideal and functional layer of seasoning on cast iron is rather thin, as thicker layers tend to flake off and never fully carbonize. Only season your CI a few times a year if that. I usually do mine in the summer so I can open up the house.
5. Everyone has a different technique to seasoning. Realistically almost anything will work given enough time, but some work "sooner" than others. I scrub the pan with scotchbrite and soap to remove all loose buildup. Put pan in over and heat on lowest setting to >200 deg. or so. I use vegetable shortening typically as it is highly refined and has a medium smoke point. Rapeseed oil is the best ive used but its $$. Vegetable oil works but can get gummy, lard works, anything works really. The trick is to rub an extremely thin layer into the heated pan. I use shop towels to remove as much oil as I can leaving only the thinnest lint free layer. Place upside down in middle rack of oven at 350-400 deg. and bake for 2 hours. Done!

I scrub dishes because I want money that I can actually waste on shit, rather than living a day to day life where I'm just paying rent and the occasional repair bill for my car.

i drink my Rapeseed oil on the rocks sir

It has many names but I like rapeseed the best

til rapeseed isnt a typo

Seasoning is simple dont mess about and try to complicate it;

>Heat oven to max
>Warm pan on stove (not hot)
>Small bit of lard in the pan
>Wipe it around so its a thin layer all over the entire pan
>Place in oven upside down
>Leave in for an hour
>Turn oven off and let it cool, when cooled a fair bit (Doesn't need to be fully) repeat the process

I do 3-4 layers for a new pan

lard? are you an english? idk to many people that cook with lard unless they are from the south or old country

>"oh ill do the dishes"
first mistake, should have loudly, indiscriminately shouted FUCK NO YOU WON'T, NOBODY TOUCHES MY PANS AND KNIVES
what is it with you fucking soyboy pussies rolling over and letting people ruin YOUR shit in YOUR residence that YOU paid for just to be "nice"
jesus said turn the other cheek but he also said sell your cloak and buy a sword

Good lord.

you sir are a fag on many levels enjoy that anal retentive life. still holding onto yesterdays morning poo?

I know right

>the pan sticks less than my Teflon pans do.
I can make cheese crisps in my teflon or anodized aluminum pans

>getting sick from cooking in a seasoned pan
that never happened retarded faggot

Whoa there buddy. I would never insalt your cast iron lifestyle. but normies trying the seasoned pan meme typically don't do it right.

>insalt