Anyone else in love with the idea of reading books but don't actually read books or very rarely read books...

Anyone else in love with the idea of reading books but don't actually read books or very rarely read books? I set my goal to be 20 books for this year and I only read 2 so far and one was just a novella.

GET OUT

I love being seen as someone who reads but I'd rather scroll down Veeky Forums and watch yt videos lol

I usually get about 1 hour of reading in every day while sitting out in the sun. It's very nice.

Hey man i'm just being honest. I constantly look for new books, read reviews of newer books, buy digital books for my kindle and then I get home after work and play video games instead. I don't know what my problem is.

Only 20? Well, it cannot be bad if you are on your early teens, but if i were you i'd stick to 4 books per month.

Yeah, and i'm just being honest that you're not wanted here

I'm 25.

That's not true this board is extremely welcoming. You don't speak for the board. It sounds like you are in the same predicament as me but don't like it brought to attention.

Wow, how do you learn your powers of psychoanalysis?

It can't be through reading books as you don't read any of course...

Wikipedia and Veeky Forums.

>Anyone else in love with the idea of reading books but don't actually read books or very rarely read books?

Back to facebook

Everyone is this way. Of course most people that read enjoy reading but the best part is usually the outcome, learning and understanding.

I can relate, OP.Lets go through these hardships together!

I literally don't read any books; yet, I buy all the memes for my bookcase, and I have discussions on this board as if I've read them. People actually take what I say as true even though it's all a façade.

I don't take what you say as true, i see through your lies

Well honestly there is little book discussion here anyways besides "it was shit" or "the greatest book ever"

I've already surpassed your goal for the year.

I use some books as decoration to make my book shelf bigger, for example I never read Dante or the Complete Works of Shakespeare, but I figured I should have them to live the literary life

Just pick up a fucking book and read ~20 pages, you'll have read them before you even know it.

Yes sir I am picking up a book right now sir.

I read mostly about global politics and they aren't in a printed paper. It's all out in the articles and news, or even in tweets (Syria war). Time spend reading fiction is time spent away from this pleasure of mine so I don't read many books.

I browse this board because it is the only place on the web where people respond to my posts. I almost fell for the "start with the greeks" meme, until I realized that I can simply finish my engineering degree and jump straight onto contemporary philosophy. From what I see, this board is mostly populated by inferior minds worshiping what is to them intellectual gods. Almost like primitives dancing around the fire. Some of them even talk about living out in the woods, as if there is some rational behind it and not just a strong urge they feel in their primal self.

Glad i'm not the only stem guy here. I mean I understand you guys like to read this stuff but you are really no better then the neet watching anime or playing video games. You have to make a living.

Then why post here? If you're not a reader then why bring the level of discourse here down with your opinions?

But 1) I am a reader, just not fiction 2) there are more books than fiction, why are you so bigoted

This has to be satire, right?

Another stem here, I just got my engineering degree and I don't always understand the culture around here.
It is like these people here are from a different world, but I still go here for the non-fiction discussions.

>2) there are more books than fiction, why are you so bigoted
Because I can tell that the quality of the board has gone down because of people who are just political junkies who only think about politics and only post about politics and it's frustrating. I don't want politics to be injected into every board because that's boring.

there are so many boards on Veeky Forums why do you have to infest Veeky Forums fucking pseuds get out REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Buy this. You can read a story or two within 20-30 mins, in any order you want. It has enough variation to keep your interest and surprise you. Go one night without video games, get home, get into bed, pull this out (turn off your phone!) and read at your pace.

Too bad, go make your own FictionOnly subreddit.

Thanks but I only read horror and weird fiction.

Then buy HP Lovecraft. Borges is the god-father of weird fiction, just find "The Circular Ruins"

I think we should make an entry level chart with only short stories. It would make more sense given nowdays attention span

Do you honestly believe that all the accusations of being a pseud is anything but projection? The recommended readings are fairly good, and most of you are able to remember some of what you read, but other than that this board is intellectually a dry pitch. It is a place for entertainment, a place to escape into, a place less demanding than the experience of living a full life.

That's quite a lengthy post to say nothing at all.

There already is a short story chart and I'd wager 95% of them are good places for beginners. Can't really think of any collection that might be too opaque or difficult

Not quite, but I have to admit that often books fail to live up to what I imagine they will be like.

Why are you limiting yourself to just those?

I'm naturally that way too. Just pick something and assign yourself a certain amount per day that you have to get done.

APPEARING to read books is much more important than actually reading books. Everyone in my family thinks I'm the literary expert and a bona fide intellectual. You want to know how many books I've read in the last 12 months? I got about 3/4 through one and got bored so I stopped. Take off the shackles and do what you like; just make sure people think you are very smart.

I haven't gotten a new idea from a book in years. At best I'll get an interesting statement of an old idea I've already had. I honestly get better ideas sitting in my backyard and staring at the trees.

I liked the idea of reading books, which is why I started reading books. It's not complicated user...

Good lord you are a pretensious schmuck

There's your problem, ditch the kindle, the physical presence of real books near you will make you want to read.

What a gentle post. Thank you

I don't know I just enjoy the bizarre, scary, and weird stuff and have little interest in reading books that simply adhere to reality for the most part. There's just nothing interesting sounding about most of them.

I don't remember that chart user

>went to barnes and noble last weekend
>all the books really get me interested in reading
>check price and its $27.99
>less than 300 pages

Yeah i'd rather have real copies but when you can get digital for free or cheap its hard to compete.

All I said was the truth, sorry if you think that comes across as rude.

go to second hand shops desu, used books are cheap as shit

It's not rude it's foolish. Read something that you know nothing of or would like to learn more about.

Agreed, textbooks and technical manuals are often a lot more eyeopening than literature.

>Anyone else in love with the idea of reading books but don't actually read books or very rarely read books?
I can very much relate to this

Only read two novellas, one play and four actual books this year, but I have a giant list of books I want to buy and read that I constantly look at, think about and update
I'm a bad person

I wish I could read about Lagrangian physics but I'm barely out of Calc.2

Yeah this.
Or go to your local library, most have a section where they're just sellin books for cheap. Copped Invisible Cities and Blood Meridian for a buck at mine.

2 books in 6 months?
I feel extremely guilty about how little I read and I can do at least one a week

Yeah I barely read. I'll go weeks not touching a book.

Yeah I have many sites where I read book reviews and have all these books I want but I know I probably won't read them.