Whats a neat recipe for good old fashion roast potatoes?

Whats a neat recipe for good old fashion roast potatoes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kyPFz3mR2Sw
youtube.com/watch?v=_wx__fEyDj0
bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potatosalad_67592
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cut potatoes
Par boil
throw into roasting pan with lots of olive oil or fat
Roughly crush garlic and throw on top
throw some rosemary on
salt
Cook until crispy and golden

Add a tsp of baking soda to the boiling water for extra crunch

>Putting on rosemary at the start of roasting

Heresy

I hate it when the news uses the word "slams" but this is good

never done this before, will give it a go

>oven up to temp, 200 degrees C
>tray in oven with goose fat/vegetable oil
>get the fat/oil real hot
>par boil potatoes for 10-15
>drain and shake in colander to rough them up, making things super crispy later
>tip into HOT fat/oil (should spit and sizzle), cover and coat with fat/oil, season to taste
>cook for about 25/30 mins

It's not hard ya dingus. Hot fat is the key.

>potato into roasting pan
>1/4-1/2 inch of chicken broth
>drizzle oil over
>baste several times while roasting
Also salt

Will try this and report back.

Wait, you have to boil potatoes before roasting them? For how long? Does the skin stay on?

>get water boiling
>turn oven on
>get oven tray and put beef tallow or lard in it
>boil potatoes for around 10 minutes after peeling them
>drain and add some salt
>transfer to hot baking dish of oil
>cover in oil
>turn once ever 15mins or so
>once they are nice and crispy serve them

Boil time varies depending upon the size of your potatos. Try to make sure they're roughly equal size, no need to be too exact. Then just go until you only need to apply a small amount of pressure to stick a fork or a knife through them. The skin is up to you.

You don't have to do it, but it makes the surface much crispier. The skin does stay on unless you overcook them.

Thanks anons, will try next time.

Everyone hates the fact you have to boil them first, then roast. Its a two step process that doubles the work, adds time, and more dishes to wash. I hate extra work so sometimes I just say fuck it and roast my wedges from raw, but yeah, they are better if you boil them first. Also, the baking soda and fucking up the exterior trick helps too, if you're looking for crunch. Everything good requires effort, unfortunately.

Seconding what other anons have said, some sort of fat is important. If you just use vegetable oil you'll be disappointed.

>olive oil
>vegetable oil

'no'

clarified butter works well. turn the oven all the way up.

>drain and shake in colander to rough them up, making things super crispy later

This is the most important thing you can do.

>clarified butter works well

Animal fat works better. Goose fat, Duck fat, lard, even suet...you've never lived until you've had a good roast potato that was made with Goose fat.

i mean butter is technically animal fat. i would like to try them with duck fat though; my family is vegetarian so i've never had the opportunity.

The steps to me are:
parboil (with baking soda if you wish)
drain
toss in oil, salt, pepper, dried herbs
roast in the oven in high heat
take out
add into a bowl with butter, crushed garlic and fresh herbs, and toss
serve

if you don't want to parboil, the steps are the same but use a low heat (175 celsius or so). Don't chop them too fine and you'll be fine.

Why the last step?

Well, second-to-last step I guess.

>add into a bowl with butter, crushed garlic and fresh herbs, and toss

Dried herbs AND fresh herbs? Raw garlic? More fat?

Why not just deep fry them? Doing all these extra steps doesn't make sense unless you are going for the "I'm a pseudo-chef" image.

dried herbs and fresh herbs are just there as a suggestion on when to put either one in; you can use both, one or neither.

And yes, raw garlic and more fat. The heat softens the garlic so that it's not too pungent, and there's no reason not to be decadent.

>cut into chunks similar to your photo
>parboil with salted water, and a little bit of vinegar
>heat oven to 450
>pull potatoes before completely cooked, and bash them around in a bowl until some starts to flake off and there is a slight mash around each chunk
>toss in oil, add garlic/rosemary, roast until super crispy.

Fondant potatoes are pretty neat.

>no reason not to be decadent
Why not coat it in Swiss chocolate then?

Wear a bonnet whilst preparing them.

You don't have to but it's much faster and waaaay better because you get the soft inside and crispy outside texture.

Now you're just being silly.

Follow this and they will be perfect.
youtube.com/watch?v=kyPFz3mR2Sw

>after boiling drain then shake the tatters in the saucepan to scuff up the outsides
>add to hot fat( goose is best)
200C for 1 hour turning at least once

or do what i did last sunday
>stick the roasting pan under a leg of lamb thats sitting on the wire rack so all the fat falls on the spuds

Haven't tried it out yet, but this sounds pretty good:

youtube.com/watch?v=_wx__fEyDj0

Don't use baking soda!

Use 2 tbls vinegar and 2 tbls salt with about 2 quarts of water to a boil.

This is how McDonalds first makes their fries and will give you a similar crunch. However they should also be fried then frozen over night before you put them in the oven if you really want the true texture.

I should add only fry them for a minute before you freeze them.

my brother died from this

Not sure how some others will feel but microwaving also works well. Not as long but still a tasty result.

I just followed this video about an hour ago. I just had a couple small Russets, but I still did everything including saute the garlic and rosemary. They were probably the best roast potatoes I've ever had.

>cut potatoes
>season them
>put them in the oven
wow so hard

>Par boil
>throw into roasting pan with lots of olive oil or fat
It's vitally important to toss them around a bit to fluff up the edges between these two steps. Just hold the lid on the pan and shake it like crazy.

Duck or goose fat, best fat.

(also peel them as step zero, christ, roast potatoes don't have skin)

Spray with olive oil and cover with pic related and flour.

Use baking paper on a tray that has holes.

I microwave them. It is quicker and the still taste great

Crisp with animal fat.

>Duck or goose fat, best fat.
Don't do what my mother did last year and reuse the fat from the previous year because "it seemed fine".

Lol what an idiot

What does the scouter say about this sodium level?

9.001 grams

Its basically just MSG with dried veggie powder

Man, a fresh jar of decent quality goose fat is pretty cheap at the supermarket round here. Just buy a fresh one.

Can I make roasted potatoes in a clay dutch oven covered in hot coals or is that going to cook rather than roast them?

Just make Potatoes Anna.
Crispy and delicious.

WHy do MY roasT poatetos ALWasys come OUT mushy and NOT criSP AAAHAHSHAHhUAHHAHAH ICNA'T DO ANYTHING RIGHTAHAHAHAH

Some suggestions:
Make sure you're cooking at the right temperature. Mushy indicates the oil/fat you're using isn't hot enough.

Secondly, use animal fat: lard is good, but I heard goose fat works well too. It will taste better than any vegetable based oil/fat.

Third, make sure that after you boil the potato pieces, rough them up. Shake them vigorously in a colander or even just roughly toss them with a fork or something. Roughing up the pieces will help it get crispier. a

I'm making this : bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potatosalad_67592

Pretty good with roasted potatoes

b-but i am vegetarian

this plus = the best fucking roast potatoes. Also, I'm not Jamie Oliver.

goose or duck fat is essential if you want the best potatoes

use butter, soyboy

I can vouch for this.
It messes with the PH of the boiling water and roughs up the outside edges and the inside gets creamy.

I strain them after and put them in a preheated pan in a 500* oven with olive oil.

Use Trex.