I need to make the best mashed potatoes in the world, what's the recipe Veeky Forums?

I need to make the best mashed potatoes in the world, what's the recipe Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/ultra-fluffy-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html
assets.bonappetit.com/photos/5804ff305d7cb6d47b91cf57/16:9/w_1280,c_limit/duchess-baked-potatoes.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg
youtube.com/watch?v=b-d_l_6sKcs
youtube.com/watch?v=luZEZgZNFAg&index=1&list=PLKtIunYVkv_Rb8nBO5KoeZl2S-I2VvYYL
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Leave some skin on the potatoes
Sauté garlic or bake a clove on some foil
Green onion/chives
Sour cream
Butter
Salt/pepper

Peel Idaho gold potatoes, boil them until al dente, drain, mash in pan until chunky, add whole milk and butter until desired texture is achieved. Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil red potatoes a long time, mash them with a proper masher, add a fuck ton of a butter, a little garlic powder, and a moderate amount of salt.

You should boil them long enough such that you can barely taste the texture of the skin when you take a bite

Butter, butter, butter and... more butter

boil the potatoes skin on, do an initial mash, add milk, butter, italian seasoning, garlic if you want it

now here's THE secret
smooth it out with an immersion blender

Shit, also forgot, a little bit of milk and a scoop of sour cream, even if you don't like sour cream. Mix it in well

Al dente? No.

I use gold potatoes, roasted garlic, and lots of cream cheese and butter.

If you can get anything moving with an immersion blender your potatoes are FAR too runny.

boil them with a stem of rosemary. for me it's organic gold potatoes at Costco. Add cream cheese and whole milk until it's soft to your liking. garlic salt with a teaspoon of parsley and 2 tsp of pepper and you're stuntin on all those nigga's potatoes. mash until your liking

>smooth it out with an immersion blender
NO, do NOT do that. It will result in horrible texture. I once saw a youtube vid about a restaurant in Paris who basically got a Michelin Star for their mashed potatoes, and the chef (Robuchon?) said the secret was forcing the mashed potatoes through a sieve at least three times. And, of course (it was in France) lots and lots of butter.

gross

I might have been thinking electric hand mixer, sorry

What the hell is in this thread. Not a single answer here comes close.
I really dont even want to help, you people are so fucking stupid. Keep fucking up Thanksgiving, retards.

Add bits of chopped up bacon to your mashed potatoes. Make sure the bacon is well done because it will get moist in the potatoes. Even better if you render the fat and use it in place of butter.

>Parsnips (2) peeled and cut into a rolling boil
>5 minutes
>add cut potatoes (I use red) into the boil
>10 minutes
>drain and put in food processor
>add one stick of butter, a single spoon full of sour cream and at least a cup of milk...I eyeball it.

It's worth noting that if you intend to serve this right away it's best to let your milk and butter come up to room temp prior to adding.

>halfway through blending add salt and pepper
>pull and serve

You can really add any root vegetable to a mashed potatoes. Radish, carrot etc down the line.

my immersion blender has a mashing attachment which basically acts as an automatic ricer. way easier than using a ricer for me

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/ultra-fluffy-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

Drum sieve, aka tamis.

>this

joel robluchon's recipe

pure gold

I'm replying to myself but this type of mash needs less garlic than normal. I totally omitted that, my bad.

Put them through a ricer before GENTLY mixing them with salt, caramelized onion, and enough butter to bake 50 pies.

Marco White uses a food processor to make his mash so its good enough for me.

>start taters in cold water
>cook until done
>use a ricer
>keep on heat to draw out excess moisture
>heavy cream (less than you think you need)
>butter
>salt
>pepper

basic mash recipe, tinker with whatever meme flavors you want to add (ex: semen infused water for boiling etc.)

Enjoy your gluten potato gum idiot.

I saw a similar method on that cooking vs science special on BBC. Forcing them through multiple meshes made them look more smooth than I've ever seen potatos. I think it was at Le Cordon bleu in Paris.

Best mashed potatoes...for every 2lbs. of baking potatoes cut into cubes and boiled for 20 minutes, add 4 ounces of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of milk, with 3 tbsp. butter. Add kosher salt, cracked black pepper.

Ive made blue cheese mashed potatoes that were delicious, too.

ok so don't make mashed potatoes, make duchess potatoes they are super easy and look like you worked hard on them. AND they are delicious.

assets.bonappetit.com/photos/5804ff305d7cb6d47b91cf57/16:9/w_1280,c_limit/duchess-baked-potatoes.jpg

>I read on a blog that food processors make gluton

T. Suburban mom

I saw that too. Science guy kept pissing me off since he kept neglecting to combine flavors. He knew how to do certain things right but just made everything plain despite having certain processes that were basically perfect or quite interesting (the steak and the soup).

Way too much work to force the potatoes through a sieve though. Science guy also royally fucked up the potatoes. You'd think he would've calculated how much glucose would have been produced by the malt.

youtube.com/watch?v=C0gWH2E4lWg

the secret ingredient is butter

youtube.com/watch?v=b-d_l_6sKcs

Yeah he was definitely annoying. But the special was really cool. The tomato soap was really interested and the fact he could cook a steak that perfectly with a deep fryer is pretty incredible.

this makes glue
if that's what you want

shut the fuck up niggers
>golden potatoes
>cut in half
>bring pot with them to boil
>water better be salty the peel will absorb most of it
>20 minutes
>if you can stick a fork through them easy they're done
>drain
>peel potatos by putting pressure on skins so they pop out
>melt butter and milk together in saucepan
>mash potatoes and add butter/milk
>garlic powder (want to add some depth to the flavor not just make it garlic potatoes)
>salt/pepper
don't over season them, don't over butter them
keep it simple, mashed potatoes aren't the main course

The theory behind that was pretty straightforward to implement I think. I bet that would make an amazing steak if he actually bothered to combine other spices and seasonings. Even without anything else it would still be delicious though.

The soup could turn into a pretty interesting dish if utilized properly I would think. But then again, is it really worth getting a centrifuge for the purpose of making an aberrant tomato soup?

>is it worth it
Probably not, like you said it's really interesting but more complicated than soup needs to be. I was surprised he was able to impress them with the microwave cake though.

does it?

Learn from the gays.
They're an ingenuous people.

youtube.com/watch?v=luZEZgZNFAg&index=1&list=PLKtIunYVkv_Rb8nBO5KoeZl2S-I2VvYYL

>cooklets not using royal blue tatos

I'd actually say that the soup was incredibly simple. Rather, what he made was tomato juice and then tried to pass it off as soup, which he remedied by adding various vegetables common in vegetable stock. I cannot fathom how he thought pure tomato liquid would be tomato soup though.

But making the stuff is simple. Spin tomatoes at high speed for several hours. It's just that it's expensive to buy a centrifuge.

apparently he's the meanest one at Bon Appetite, and brad is getting high off his fame.

What??

Source. I need some drama.

there was an user from a production team that worked on Munchies, Bon Appetite, and Eater who said that out of all the people he's worked with, Andy was the rudest to anyone beneath him.

Thank you for correcting him on that... sorry it too like 18 hours for someone to tell you.

Cook onions and garlic on low, for a very long time (like 2 hours, may need to add white wine or more fat pending on their dryness). For the bacon, do it how you want, by my method is putting it in a cast iron for 4 hours flipping halfway through. Get chives or green onions, sour cream, and seasonings. Just simmer the diced (WITH SKIN ON) potatoes until they're fork tender. Drain, add dry ingredients with salt, pepper, paprika, spicy, and mash. Then add all the wet and fixins.

Congrats, that's how I do loaded mashed potatoes.

Paul Bocuse recipe:
2lbs boiled potatoes
1lb butter

Run potatoes through a ricer, using a stiff whisk beat in melted butter, season to taste.

>all these faggots recommending baking potatoes
red potatoes unpeeled

In my opinion, simple is best. Peel Russet Burbank potatoes. Cut your potatoes into one inch squares and cover them with water in a pot. Boil them until you can push a fork into them easily, but not so that the potato chunks fall apart when you poke them because that would mean they're overcooked. Strain all the water out of them and add real butter and a bit of milk. Add butter and milk to reach desired taste and consistency. Mash them well.

Enjoy your glue.

>no nutmeg

This. And high fat dairy of some sort. Oh and if your wicked heart can handle it, plenty of salt.

1:1 ratio of butter and potato

Not even joking, that is what you get from fancy restaurants.

Why you dont mention the kind of potatoe to use?

8 large potatoes
8 0z cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream

Boil and mash potatoes
Mix in cream cheese, butter, sour cream and salt and pepper
Put into 2-3 quart greased serving dish
Top with some butter pats
Cover and store in fridge for up to 3 days
Sprinkle with paprika and bake uncovered at 350 for about 40 minutes.

Nutmeg is a meme spice you frogshit.

trips of truth

>nutmeg is a meme spice
>benjamin franklin carried whole nutmeg and a grater in his pocket for use on sny meal
>benjamin franklin was a walking meme

Uh, no. If nutmeg was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

>Benjamin Franklin was never a president and was a frog loving french wannabe.

I dunno. My mom's taste and look like white Elmer's Glue.

ever try making mashed potatoes from B-red potatoes with the skin included ? It's my favorite.

We used to make a lot of different kinds of mashed potatoes depending on what the main dish was.

some I can think of off hand:
sour cream & chive potatoes
cheddar garlic mashed potatoes
ranch style mashed potatoes (yuck)

Dumb frog poster beat me to it. Mashed potatoes without nutmeg is shit.

>Faulting Benjamin Franklin for fucking skinny Parisian girls instead of obese American girls

If you have to fuck white girls, then theres little point in fucking American white girls

the guy next to marco is grossly posh

cook the potatoes in an oven, it will take longer, but you'll save every bit of taste instead throwing it all with the cooking water.
then follow the recipe of your choice and add more liquid

Don't peel or cut the potatoes, boil them whole. They take 30+ minutes to boil whole depending on size but they peel easily afterward, they don't get too wet, and they retain more of their flavor. Use at least 1 tbsp of butter per potato, you can add more if you want, then add milk or cream until they're the consistency that you want. Add a bit of salt and taste, add more if necessary. Mashed potatoes without enough salt suck.

That's for the basic recipe. Sometimes I like to boil garlic cloves with the potatoes, they get mild and mash easily. Sometimes I like them with cheddar, sour cream, and green onion added.

Because it's fucking obvious. The only potato for mash is russet.

use boxed mashed potatoes
better than the real thing

After reading some of the recipes in this thread it would hard to argue against this.

If you mashed potatoes look anything like in the thumbnail of the video you are doing it wrong. The color already tells me that the person used disgusting flavorless potatoes. If your potatoes aren't golden yellow you are doing it wrong.

The secret is not butter it's a good flavorful potato. And it should never be this "creamy" as in the thumbnail, it should always be a little bit chunky.

>it should always be a little bit chunky.
Thats not how it works. it's a puree

Mashed potatoes not pureed potatoes.

there is a difference between mashed potatoes and a puree.

Also I just saw the video and I don't get it how a chef would use potatoes that are almost white in color, this is just disgusting but also explains the exessive use of butter.

>there is a difference between mashed potatoes and a puree.
Well see, now you know where you are wrong.

No I'm not. Also that recipe is disgusting. Typical american retardation, instead of actually buying proper ingredients we just "fix" it by adding tons of butter, pls call me a chef.

This guy is a bad joke.

Yeah, keep reading old good housekeeping mags that the red cross provided. Let the people who know talk. On speaking of people who know, here is what a 7 starred Michelin chef says about mashed potato.

He forgot to write down that flavorless potatoes are super important.

>7 starred Michelin chef says
Who the fuck cares? They produce extravagant food for people who have too much money, why do you think that a 7 star michelin chef knows how proper mashed potatoes are made? Just by the short text alone you see that he overcomplicates such a simple recipe because even he tries to justify the horrendous amount of money a customer in his fancy restaurant would have to pay for boiled potatoes with butter and milk mixed in.

I knew you were too thick for books. Stay dumb, europoor trash.

>uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm you are stupid

Okay, I guess I've lost.

>books won't make me smarter.

Yup, dumb and staying that way.

>using russet
are you serious? red potatoes work way better for mashed, you also don't have to peel them at all because the amount of skin they have is a good amount.

Also, do this
- boil red potatoes and garlic till soft.
- drain and begin to mash up
- after a bit of mashing, add cream or milk, just enough to get the potatoes to a good consistency. go slow, because too much will turn the whole thing into a runny mess and you'll have to start over.
- add a bit of butter
- however much milk you added, add maybe 50% or double that amount of shredded parmesan cheese. Don't use from a package, make sure you bought a hunk of cheese and shredded it yourself shortly before cooking
- salt the mixture throughout this entire process, don't do it all at once at the end, or you'll add some salt, mix it up, decide it's not enough, add some more, etc. etc. but you'll probably end up not mixing quite as well if you have to do it between every time you add salt, and you'll end up with an unevenly salted dish
- maybe add fresh chopped parsley for color

This is the way to make the best mashed potatoes. You will have to be careful, though, because it's easy to go overboard on the butter or cream and have it taste good for a couple bites, but then become too rich. Make sure you don't do this, it's gross and you'll get fatter.

If you need a fucking book to tell you how to make good mashed potatoes, you're a fucking brainlet.
You know how you learn? With a pot, a spoon, and a ricer.

ITT: Veeky Forums tries to make mashed potatoes and fails at it

This was honestly more entertaining than listening to my family argue about Trump.

a book is just a method of communicating information. Unless you personally discovered the concept of mashed potatoes independent of any other sources (including having tasted them before or even being aware that they exist at all), it's pretty much irrelevant whether your mom showed you how or whether you read it in a book.

not the guy you're replying to btw, you're just a fucking retard