How do you come up with interesting names for an otherworldly setting that aren't stupid?

how do you come up with interesting names for an otherworldly setting that aren't stupid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BUMzrpU7JXQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I fucking drop any fantasy book that has names that appear to be a random collection of syllables and consonants

THE REBOVOVAK WIZARDS OF CLAN BUKRUZUH HAVE PLAGUED THE FLEGGET PLAINS FOR OVER FIFTY BOLOK. NOW THE YOUNG HEROINE RITHYLIC FROM THE UNLIKELY QWERDO HAS COME TO UNITE THE WARRING TRIBES BEFORE THE IMPENDING DOOM OF YURT SWEEPS THEM ALL

I fucking drop any fantasy book

I name my male characters after my homoerotic crushes.

Just use normal names but change a letter.
Kevan.
Styve.
Charon.

Et cetera.

>Kevan.
>Styve.

I pick a random European language, trawl through name lists in said language and choose ones I like the sound of.

google translate random words to random languages. Like "train" but in Kazakh, Poezd. Edit slightly. Pozid, bam

Every story I've written had used the names of ss agents.

>tfw the wizard adolf, his aryan elf waifu eva and his trusty side kick geobles unite to otherthrow the evil king; borok obuma.

Go back to really old English, pick some forgotten words that could have been used as names but weren't. Now change their pronunciation in accordance to how phonemes in English has changed. You should have some names that sound like English names but aren't.

If you want the names to sound foreign either pick another, perhaps obscure, language, or imagine that the language changed in different ways.

You don't. You write novels about a slightly depressed young man walking through a big city and wondering why life is shit. Guaranteed hit.

But Charon is totally okay? LMAO retard.

What the fuck book does this describe?

I'd read it

Good.

Taipei by Tao Lin

You mean, give everyone an Australian accent?

youtube.com/watch?v=BUMzrpU7JXQ

Make a conlang.

I'll accept the use of a ridiculous, word jumble name for a species so long as it is almost immediately supplanted by a Human colloquialism for the same. "They call themselves the Rau'ui'huoiocka'zhal, but we just call them Beakies."
You can apply a similar logic to individual characters as well.

Sounds more like an Israeli accent.

like this but don't use names because thats stupid

just use any random nouns

Learn Greek and Latin, and then learn their respective word roots.

Back when I used to be an avid historical world builder, my knowledge of the languages helped tremendously when I had to create names for Roman cities and geographical bodies.