The note from David foster Wallace I purchased on eBay finally arrived. Pic related

The note from David foster Wallace I purchased on eBay finally arrived. Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EwfQl2LGhwc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the thing that people totally miss about this book is that he's ultimately saying addiction is hopeless to fight so you might as well indulge occasionally.
David was a habitual drug user until his death.

Possibly. I think he was trying to say that addiction is a product of broken societies/broken people who struggle to find meaning or compassion anywhere else. Have you ever seen clips of him shitting on the idea of irony? He basically was really depressed about the fact that no one took anything seriously anymore, that not caring about shit in the 90s was considered cool. Maybe he topped himself cos he saw the direction we were headed in, that we were going even further down the rabbit hole of being cool by not caring about shit, but this is pure speculation.

But yeah he obviously struggled with drugs his whole life, he actually killed himself when attempting to get off anti depressants

I heard he loved occasional use so much that he requested his dead body be pumped full of hash oil one last time before burial and then every 2 and a half years or so be dug up, hollowed out, and used like a bong.

Tell me about David Foster Wallace. Why does he wear the bandana?

what he's saying is that this broken irony is the reality and the true happiness is escape and illusion.

this is exactly the kind of problematic attitude DFW warned us about

I've done a lot of drugs and I think you have to be a real fucking idiot to become an addict, addiction takes a lot of work.

Not really. With that attitude you will end up being an addict.

hello elitist faggot. i didn't know dfw knew about memes.

>he's ultimately saying addiction is hopeless to fight

I think you're misreading it. The possibility of recovering from addiction is not an unreachable goal in the novel. The possibility isn't unavailable. It's just that being free from addiction, distractions, requires introspection, and everyone in Infinite Jest would rather not deal with confronting their own psychological problems. Even the recovering addicts simply replace their drug addictions with addictions to empty routines, coffee and cigarettes, meaningless hugs. They don't really get at peoples' individual factors, which is the only way to truly recover from addiction as a whole imo. Don Gately in the end seems to have a chance when he's immobilized in the end and finally confronts his past traumatic experiences, but the lack of a complete resolution puts doubt on things.

no you dIdn't get it.
Gately fucks up at the end of the novel by not taking the demerol when he needs it (ultimately having to take it forcefully) and then the book ends with a cliff-hanger forcing you reflect on your own addictions.

How can anyone take DFW seriously? We have video of the guy talking.

in addition:
the ultimate "joke" of the book is that life itself is the addiction, or "the entertainment".

Why the fuck is no one mentioning the obvious that this is the dumbest thread o have ever seen here

not to mention that the climax of the Hal side of the story also involves the forced ingestion of "a substance", in this case a revelatory (although painful) one.

could you send the ink to that video?

also interested in other recommendations of good dfw interviews and such

fucking retarded moron idiot

>the thing that people totally miss about this book is that he's ultimately saying addiction is hopeless to fight so you might as well indulge occasionally.
>David was a habitual drug user until his death.
Better yet don't indulge in the first place and you won't have that problem?

>Even the recovering addicts simply replace their drug addictions with addictions to empty routines, coffee and cigarettes, meaningless hugs.
I feel DFW is more optimistic and appreciative of the AA meetings than this.

no.
read:
You'll take tylenol occasionally. Why not smoke weed once in a while?
that's the point.

hey, i licked the desk joyce wrote dubliners on

who am i to judge

You're a fucking idiot

Old doesn't equal good

how do you get baited like that lad

I believe it's in this interview although I haven't watched it in ages. Either way it's a good clip

youtu.be/EwfQl2LGhwc

Hahajww holy fuck lit is a goldmine for these retarded posts. And that bullshit about replacing an addiction with an addiction is shallow as fuck.

no youre literally retarded. There is absolutely no way you understand this book better than i do. That's literally the point of the book. The shallow interpretation is that this is a self-help book.

and i bet you think the book is super "sincere" too.
Dumbass. He was fully aware of all the irony involved, the book makes subtle references all throughout that undoubtedly flew way over your head.

>replacing an addiction with an addiction
>shallow
did you miss the whole point of the parallel between ETA and Ennet House?

it's true.
Infinite Jest is a deeply ironic book.
The trick is that it uses the irony in a mirroring self-aware sort of way that performs the meta-function of the novel.
Most people miss that part.

there's also a reason why the (hand-capped) bad guys win.
you probably missed out on the circular themes as well, referring to the paradox.
what do you think annulation was about?

I enjoy IJ but his obtuse and sometimes nonsensical mathematical descriptions irritate me.

>your super gay
>your

again, that is also very intentional.
As is the wardine section and everything else.
Arguably, it's a bad novel, but from a conceptual standpoint it's all justified beyond some hokey premise of "here's how to live".
He's pointing the mirror back at the reader in a way.

...what?

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

how is that shitposting?
or are you referring to the novel itself?