What're the best movie adaptations of all of Shakespeare's (adapted) work?

What're the best movie adaptations of all of Shakespeare's (adapted) work?

>just read them
It's not for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pjJEXkbeL-o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The one that shows an underage girl's titties.

Coriolanus

kek I remember watching that one in freshman year and freaking the fuck out

You common cry of curs!

Tempest in claymation

10 Things I Hate About (You)

what do people think of the kenneth branagh hamlet?

Branagh's Hamlet and Kurosawa's Ran

which one was that? asking for academic purposes

RICHARD *BANG* I *BANG* I *BANG* I with Ian McKellen.

youtube.com/watch?v=pjJEXkbeL-o

all of them are good except for baz luhrman's romeo and juliet.

That one is a spectacle worth seeing, bro. Maybe not the best Romeo and Juliet, but definitely worth seeing.

West Side Story

Clueless

Macbeth maybe? e know the Polanski version shows an underage boy's gentials, anyway.

This is the best answer

>an underage boy's gentials
pic?

Polanski's Macbeth (the recent one is shit)
Taymor's Titus Andronicus

Kurosawa's adaptations are very "free", when he started working on Ran he didn't intend to adapt Shakespeare at all, and he incorporated plenty Japanese history and folklore into the stories. Don't treat him as a replacement for actual Shakespeare.

>It's not for me.
You mean, you're too lazy to read?

Orson Welles' Falstaff and

Surprisingly, the modern-setting DiCaprio movie Romeo+Juliet is the most loyal adaptation, on screen, to the text.

"what're" monsieur? ah, what're, monsieur

What about Olivier Laurences adaptions? Never see them mentioned here.

Not op but i do see what he's getting at. Shakespeare wrote plays, i feel like plays were meant to be acted out. Maybe I'm a brainlet.

FYI: The other adaption is Kumonosu-jo, which is, like Ran, superb.

Genuinely the only one who actually felt like Shakespeare, rather than some shitty genre costume drama with extra flowery dialogue.

He was Italian.

Didn't feel like Shakespeare at all. More like a Refn-esque stylization of the martiality in Shakespeares plays.

Kurosawa gets much closer

I know, I saw that one as well. But it also isn't that loyal to Shakes. It's literally, as you said, titled "Kumonosu-jo" - "Spider Web Castle" - a concept that doesn't exist in the original.

Completely misses the point of Shakespeare IMO. He isn't some melancholic writer lost in his thoughts and emotions. His dramas are dramas, intense, exciting and raw. That is what Polanski captured perfectly, and what this Kurzel's version completely neglects, trying to feel more modern and deep. But there's no depth in Scottish landscapes that break up Shakespeare's actual story, even if they look pretty. Besides, the changes and additions to the story were just pointless and edgy (the sex scene, the opening fight and the part where Macbeth sets those prisoners on fire).

Speaking completely subjectively now, the shortened and edited Kurzel bored me immensely, while I wasn't bored for one second during the lengthy and integral Polanski.

ye, just wanted to mention the name of the other film, as you didn't write it out. FYI was in retrospect a bad decision, the "You" was directed at readers of your post. Gomenasai desu senpai

>ctrl+f
>no throne of blood

This guy mentioned it already.

I see, but not the English title, and I didn't know the Japanese one. My apologies.

You're right about wanting to watch a performance, it's a play after all. Now listen here OP, this will save your life. Look for BBC Television Shakespeare. I think they did every single play and every single one of them is beautifully put.
You're welcome.

I saw the Olivier version of Lear with John Hurt as the Fool. Pretty cheap as far as sets and costumes but excellent performances.

What's the best way to read Shakespeare's plays? I read Macbeth in school with great guidance from my teacher, but obviously that's ot an option anymore. Is there a series of well-annotated editions or is that not needed?

Kurosawa's Macbeth adaption is bretty good.

romeo and juliet

Me again, just dug out Oxford School Shakespeare's Macbeth. Seems to be pretty good, but it's a student edition (I'm not big on student assignments in my entertainment). After checking Amazon, I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the plethora of publications. Cambridge's seems like another good student's version.
There's also an annotated edition by Harold Bloom (among millions more).
I really like the additional information about the time and place, the way the stage in Shakespeare's time worked and so on.
Anyone know of a definitive edition for Shakespeare's works?

If there was a definitive edition there wouldn't be a million editions. It depends how much additional stuff you want with the play.

You'll be fine after reading Macbeth and Hamlet. Shakespeare's writing isn't as challenging as people remember it from school.

I noticed after skimming a couple passages that it isn't as hard as I thought it would be. Still, extensive annotations are helpful and make reading it a lot more plesant without having to search the words somewhere else.

Macbeth in Space

The Merchant of Venice is excellent.
Kurosawa's Ran and Throne of Blood.
Macbeth by Polanski, and the new one with Fassbender are worth watching.