I discussed this with a friend who goes to Chicago and he said he has noticed a similar trend and largely agrees with...

I discussed this with a friend who goes to Chicago and he said he has noticed a similar trend and largely agrees with me.

When I was first a PhD student I noticed lots of chicks constantly walking around with cups of coffee to classes, yet almost no dudes did this. For some inexplicable reason I found this humorous—“laughing” at them, not with them, since they're obviously not in on the joke, making it all the better--and it made me view girls as being kind of goofy. It took a really long time for me to figure out why something seemingly so mundane--18 and 19 year old women walking around with hot caffeinated beverages in paper cups on a college campus--was so amusing.

Well, I finally figured it out and I think I can put it into words.

Firstly, they don't need the coffee. In college you can sleep for 12 hours a day if you need to and still get your work done and go to classes--there's an immense amount of down time. Sure, sometimes you might need a pick-me-up because you didn't get as much sleep as you might have wanted to, but that is rare. Because of this, it's completely unnecessary to drink coffee every single day and bring it with you to every class.

Additionally, if they actually NEEDED this caffeine to get through the day, they could just get it at the cafeteria. It's the same f**king coffee, and you're using your meal swipe for breakfast/lunch anyway, so you end up saving the 3-5 dollars you spend for the one you get at the coffee shop on campus.

So it's pretty clear these girls aren't buying coffee because they need the caffeine--so there has to be some other motivation: they want to be taken seriously. At this point women--especially the ones in college--have been raised on feminist platitudes for nearly two decades. For years women haven't been able to live to their own potential--they were just baby and milk factories (or so men thought) not too long ago! But now--NOW--in 2016 they're a force to be reckoned with in the workplace and can have "real" lives. Girls aren't dumb-dumbs anymore--they're smart and NEED to be taken seriously. College is just the first stage of this grand, new world women have been exposed to within the past couple of decades. It's the first stage of their professional lives, the ones which they have been denied since the beginning of time--until now.

Paying 5 dollars for a paper cup with some brown liquid in it is the perfect symbol of how these platitudes have incubated themselves into the minds of women. It tells everyone else that the consumer—the coffee drinker—despite being an 18 year old undergraduate, works SO hard and her studies are SO important that she just NEEDS the caffeine to get through the gauntlet of rigorous materials, papers, and exams that college students are thrown through.

And of course, this is exactly where the humor is in the whole situation. Because we all know college isn’t very serious—in fact, it’s the opposite: a complete f**king joke. Realistically, it’s a glorified daycare program for semi-adults. As long as you stay on top of your s**t enough, you can still get wasted 4 days a week (if not more) most weeks and do reasonably well. It’s not a job, it’s not stressful, it’s not something you need to drink coffee for. The real kicker, though, is the fact that even the chicks buying the coffee don’t take it seriously—you’ll see them walk into lecture hall, open up their MacBook Pro, put down their coffee, and then pull up Safari and look at f**king shoes for an hour and fifteen minutes, and they do just as well as boys do in the class—and that’s what makes it all so hilarious: they spend actual money to give off this professional “I need to be taken seriously and this is important” appearance, when no one can really take them seriously because the whole charade is just too ridiculous and completely laughable. On top of that, you just know that coffee is going to loosen up their bowels and by 12 in the afternoon they’re firing off a rancid mud rocket made of this morning’s bagel and yogurt into the toilet—which is a whole different scenario that I’m not willing to get into; I’ve taken up too much of your time.

But was was your dissertation title OP?

Yo you are retarded my guy.
Cofee's great with cigarettes.

>cigarettes
>2017
embarrassing

Square detected

Cigarettes are a great social tool though.

is this copypasta?

Yeah but how great of a social tool is cancer? Really amazing guys!!!

>>Firstly, they don't need the coffee. In college you can sleep for 12 hours a day if you need to and still get your work done and go to classes
Most of the people I knew in college also had jobs, and other responsibilities outside of just schoolwork.

>you might need a pick-me-up because you didn't get as much sleep as you might have wanted to, but that is rare
Rare for you maybe. Not everyone is you.

>it's completely unnecessary to drink coffee every single day
Well aside from the fact that you're preceding arguments are flawed, caffeine is also a drug that creates chemical dependency, so if you start drinking coffee frequently, you're going to continue doing so.

>they could just get it at the cafeteria. It's the same f**king coffee,
As much as I think most coffee chains have terrible coffee, you've clearly never drank coffee if you think every cup of coffee is the same.

Plus, aside from all this caffeine has benefits outside of wakefulness.

Not only do you not look cool any longer, but you still get to keep the very cool side effects like your teeth yellowing more rapidly, the disgusting hard odor clinging to you and your clothes, and of course the cancer. Also if you're a woman, your tits will sag quicker.

I mean sure if you need the help, but it only helps with the people who already smoke. Thing is I can't remember the last time I met someone who smoked and also, in a weird way, didn't give off an air of desperate need for attention in terms of their smoking and how 'cool' it was.

>inb4 over-analyzing or autism

>But now--NOW--in 2016
Veeky Forums in charge of reading

when did Veeky Forums get such an influx of fags? is it because it's summer?

I'd rather die young and have fun.

Yeah desu, cigarettes are still dope yo

Not Veeky Forums related. Reported.

I bet I have better friends than you.

Watch out watch out copypasta about!!

>Implying your friends wouldn't cuck and fuck you on the spot if the best opportunity arrived

Lol, me and my friends are tight, did that happen to you?
(We have done that to some non-core members of the group tho desu)

It's not just women that do it though, so your premise is inherently flawed. People buy Starbucks for a few reasons.
>they are runnng late
>they don't know how to make coffee
>they use it as a status symbol

You are seeing the effects of the third. Starkbucks brand has multiple things going for it. It's expensive and luxurious, so when you see someone with over priced coffee and they don't look tired, as in one of the other categories for purchasing Starbucks, then you know they have money to burn. Second it is also a sign of normalcy. Starbucks as a corporate entity is so infused with the consumeristic society that it's up there with McDonalds and subway in number of locations. They squeeze out the local coffee shops. They remove the quirky societal community that the local shop provided and replaced it with conformity and minimum wage. These girls and boys you see with Starbucks wish also to conform with other well off conformists. Get your head out of your ass and look at the bigger picture OP.

reminder this is pasta from literally 2009
don't fall for it you children

This is kinda true though.

OP you need to chill out.

They need the coffee to get the taste of chads dick out of their mouth.

a lot of the drinks at Starbucks are more like milk shakes with caffeine in them than coffee.
that's what grils probably drink.caramel machhiato frapachino shit

I've seen plenty of dudes who go to class with Starbucks. I used to be a coffee addict myself

Café con cigarro, muñeco de barro.

This, I unironically drink 3-4 cups of coffee every day regardless of sleep or lack thereof

Reminder that 100% of pussies who bitch about muh cancer also eat red meat and drink diet soda without a shred of self-awareness

nice try, most of the worlds oldest people smoked cigarettes