>>9746153

>Don Quixote. A cruel and crude old book.
>Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.
>Faulkner, William. Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles. To consider them masterpieces is an absurd delusion. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.
>Plato. Not particularly fond of him.
Seriously, what the fuck was his problem?

high standards

A study should be done to see if paedophilia and good taste are related.

Oooohhh believe me. They are positively correlated. ; )

You have to realize that, in the words of Isaiah Berlin, "thinkers only make an impact by wild exaggeration."

What's more, they only stay relevant/etc by being contrarian fucks.

Hence Bloom and everyone else you've probably heard of.

But is good taste the result of paedophilia, or is paedophilia the result of good taste?

t.buttmad conrad fan from the thread

>"As Gore Vidal tartly observed, 'no one enjoyed Nabokov’s books as much as Nabokov did'."

Vidal still p4p best at blowing other writers out of the water

He should have taken a page out of Nietzsche's book when he criticized Carlyle/Rousseau/Eliot/etc.

Play the ball, not the man.

Just a shame his own mediocre writing doesn't live up to his sassy roasts

>Pound, Ezra. Definitely second-rate. A total fake. A venerable fraud.

Imagine being this butthurt that the Right stay lay claim to the greatest modern poet.

>what the fuck was his problem?
Lack of intelligence and taste.

Any more easily answered questions you might have?

Why does Veeky Forums shill this pedophile so much?

Well, Nabokov was also right wing, but of a different kind.

>it's another thread where someone uses Nabokovs opinions for (you)s
Crazy it's like some people dislike things that are often regarded as things of high quality. It's like he made up his own mind. Crazy man just befuddles me how he could do something like that

Nabokov wrote fiction because he couldn't philosophise.

Moreover, however much he aspired to be a creator, he was chiefly an ankle-biting critic. A venom-spitter. Hooked on schadenfreude and spite.

He was a crypto-Jew. Just look at that nose.

Nabokov wrote essays too.

Pound's writing is fucking awful.

That's a nice literary burn user

>Brainlet couldn't comprehend the Cantos

Heh...

None worth mentioning.

He should have stuck to chess problems.

He did it to enjoy the mad yelps of buttmad self-absorbed plebs.

I can confirm they are

>couldn't comprehend
Pound himself admitted late in life that his poems don't make any sense. The Cantos are bad for the same reason that The Waste Land is bad. Pound tried to use materials that couldn't fit with his subject, and additionally he completely lacked the synthesizing, imaginative faculty of mind. His poems never go beyond revery, or rumination of the past. His insistence on using the "ideogrammatic method" and avoiding what he called "rhetoric" means that his long poems have no unity and so are basically a grab-bag of odds and ends and intentional obscurity, because he refused to write any connecting tissue. Free verse only works in short poems, because free verse has to always correspond exactly to the mood of a poem; and free verse can easily lapse and become bad prose if the movement doesn't always continue. In The Cantos Pound can never gracefully move from one idea to another because he needs to constantly invent verse forms for his subjects. In contrast, other long poems that do not use free verse, like Paradise Lost, can consistently keep its sense of unity.

Pound also had a bad habit of plagiarism. Most of the poems in his Personae are either translations or imitations, or they heavily use unacknowledged quotation.

>Pound himself admitted late in life that his poems don't make any sense
After years of inprisonment, ridicule and a rather shitty life.

People "admitted" a lot of things in that era.

he's jelly, Lolita is a stupid book with a good prose, a joke that goes on for too long

VN was right about everything.

Writers that met his expectations: Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoy, Poe, Melville, Dickens, Shakespeare, Joyce, Flaubert, Proust, Robbe-Grillet, some Salinger. I don't know what he thought of Pynchon, but Thomas was his student.

Pound isn't even a bronze medalist in modernist verse

Idolizing authors is worse than his opinions.

Also he's completely right about Dostoevsky.

>Isaiah Berlin

That name is so jewish it disgusts me.

>Plato. Not particularly fond of him.
That's great. Holy shit. I genuinely laughed.

Nabokov is a great writer but all of these besides Dostoevsky seriously trigger me. Oh well, he's entitled to his opinion. Not because every uneducated mouthbreather is entitled to an opinion, but because he's Nabokov. Out of curiosity, did Nabokov actually like the writing of any of his contemporaries?

Simply not true. My political views couldn't be farther from his and frankly I'm too much of a brainlet for the Cantos. However, Pound was a massive influence on literary modernism (arguably the most important figure) and what poems of his I am able to enjoy are great.

WCW, Eliot, H.D., Yeats, and Stein are all more important. He was a wonderful agent, however.

>Seriously, what the fuck was his problem?

His problem was that he publicly expressed opinions that plebs find impenetrable.

He was a big fan of Salinger.

>A cruel and crude old book

>Nabokov is so Artistic that he can't fathom the human purity of friendship, adventure, and mediocrity.

If you've read a lot of him and what he likes he makes perfect sense. It has to do with the way Faulkner, Dostoevsky, Conrad, et al have kind of loosely structured novels and novels that are highly emotional. Nabokov was a frigid person so he doesn't see how the two are related but strictly speaking he isn't wrong that the emotional parts of these works is learning hard on the intellectual and purely formal/aesthetic components. Nabokov is very much a proponent of the beautiful, symmetrical, etc. He's not wrong.

My problem?
Your problem is your inability to inhale the sweet scents of your sacred cow on my grille, good sir.

He liked Updike.

isn't this an excellent description of ol sammy boy?

I don't want to use the word 'autist' because he doesn't seem autistic in other areas but for someone as well read as he was, he had an incredibly narrow view of what constituted proper literature

Elaborate?

it is obvious you are speaking with little knowledge. Just the fact that you call it plaigarism is very telling.

TS Eliot is a better poet than Ezra Pound and it is very silly to compare The Waste Land to The Cantos, they arent related at all.

being a friend to great poets doesnt somehow make his poetry better.

He was a White Russian. The reactionary right.

This. He's right about Dostoevsky and Plato, but his own stuff doesn't justify his reputation as a genius.

+ Alain Grillet & Borges

He's the greatest writer to have ever lived

>Don Quixote
>cruel

Confirmed for never reading it.

Nabokov wasn't Right? He supported Nixon

>I'm the greatest writer to have ever lived
and you sir, are an oblivious foliot.

He's also a staunch Calvino proper-rater

A few Semites on the bookshelf are good for ones soul

A good writer. A poor reader. His opinions in that book are purposely inflammatory to get a buck out of its readers.

He was a pleb. Some of Plato's dialogues are pretty hilarious desu, if you know how to read them that is.

How the fuck is Bloom a contrarian? Because he didn't like Wallace? Bloom literally wrote the book on the Western Canon.

I once saw a historian on TV called Israel Finkelstein.

Best part is he's not even wrong.

Everything he said about Dosto was 100% right

>be Russian
>pick up saxophone on a whim
>holy shit I'm really good at this saxophone
>don't really need any training at all
>just doodle doot doot on the saxophone, people love me
>amazing at this saxophone
>people ask how I'm so good
>tell them I can smell colors
>"I just smell them," I say
>"This note is blue" *toot*
>"This one is orange" *toot toot*
>everyone claps
>release one magnum opus after another by tooting the correct color combinations, directly from my soul to your ear
>listen to other saxophone players
>clearly I am better
>listen to some of the ones considered the absolute best in the world
>none of them are fucking blue enough
>get angry
>call them all shit erratically
>randomly say certain ones are okay
>people ask me to explain
>"can't you see? there isn't enough blue in that one! the orange balance is all off!!!!!!!!! this fucking guy doesn't even put reds in his yellows after a green movement!!!!!!!!!"
>try to found a new aesthetic theory where the search to understand harmony and beauty and soul and emotion are all retarded horseshit and everyone should just listen to my personal toot toot theories about color combos forever
>die a bald russian faggot
>unique synesthesia brain rots in ground
>burn in hell
>no one cares about my aesthetics ever again for eternity
>people keep quoting my toot ratings out of context because they're vaguely familiar with my symphony about child-fucking

Ur moms a chess problem

Please don't remind OP why he's wrong

>people keep quoting my toot ratings out of context because they're vaguely familiar with my symphony about child-fucking
i always like seeing this one

>toot ratings

this the fresh meme Veeky Forums needs

>fresh

never seen this before, love it

pretty inaccurate though to be completely honest
read some of nabokov's criticism, a perfectly lucid critic who merely had no interest in following the contemporary canon or mediating his passionate responses

But what colour they tooting

or read a shit translation that conveyed the story in too serious of a manner. rutherford addresses the problem of tone in translation in his introduction.

The one on etimology, the apology and symposium?

>toot toot theories about color combos

my favorite bit

he would be proud

>War and Peace. A little too long. A rollicking historical novel written for the general reader, specifically for the young. Artistically unsatisfying. Cumbersome messages, didactic interludes, artificial coincidences. Uncritical of its historical sources.

W&P is my favorite book but he's still right. Nabokov really just cares a lot about the artistic content.

I had Hippias major in mind. He blows Hippias the fuck out.