Am I the only one who thinks that Borges is the greatest writer since the era of Shakespeare and Cervantes...

Am I the only one who thinks that Borges is the greatest writer since the era of Shakespeare and Cervantes? His stories are astoundingly beautiful and surpass even Joyce in their perfection.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-GGALlLkIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, someone else thinks as much

>His stories are astoundingly beautiful and surpass even Joyce in their perfection.
Joyce is the epitome of a tryhard middlebrow non-entity.

careful not to cut yourself on that edge bucko

ps how's freshman year going? excited for sophomore year? :)

No you're a brainlet who can't into maximalism

is borges the greaest black author of all time?

Este hombre en mi país, no es nada.

What is "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius"

>implying Joyce was ever aiming for perfection
It was for the sake of ART

But an obese drugadict is. AGUANTE DIEGO.

You better take that back. I would have a literal barbrawl with anyone who spouted this pseud bs about Joyce. Anyone who cannot see Joyce's genius and sublimity is instantly irredeemable to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=f-GGALlLkIw

Bueno, en parte es culpa de nuestra idiosincrasia; por otra Borges-persona no era la persona mas querible que digamos

Aparte de que por lo general no todos los lectores pueden separar al autor de su obra; fijate cuantos forros dicen que porque el fumaba en tal esquina, es reflejo en tal obra con tal personaje que hace lo mismo

Tl;dr It's in part fault from Argie education/worldview, part Borges jerkass attitude with everybody.

His poems are top notch too. Sad that nobody mentions them here

He's great, but not that great. Not by a long shot.

Borges poetry is even better than his fiction.

Yes, I agree with you OP. He revitalized the Spanish language.

I love that anecdote of when he met Neruda and they only agreed nothing of note had been written by then lately in the Castilian tongue. Then they agreed. "Y decidimos hacer algo al respecto."

I feel that this also applies to particulars like Ezra Pound for Americans and Celine for the French. Even Heidegger always gets flak for being a Nazi and is a topic bound to crop up sooner or later. Though from my experience other than Pound's early poems it's not likely that any one of these people would be taught in detail before university anyway, and en mi opinion Borges is a bigger deal as a whole in Spanish lit than say, Celine was for the whole of French lit

I was gonna say I think Kafka may have been greater but I really can't tell. Certainly they are both big guys

>Am I the only one who thinks that Borges is the greatest writer since the era of Shakespeare and Cervantes? His stories are astoundingly beautiful and surpass even Joyce in their perfection.
only legit if you read him in spanish DO YOU?

Maybe not, since there's no mention of his poetry.
I pity those non-hispanics that can't read one of the better poets of the 20th century

No it isn't his poetry is his worst writing it isn't very good aside from a few pieces.

Post made me giggle. I would agree with you tho

Beckett
Kafka
Joyce
Hemingway

These are the 4 greatest prose stylists of the 20th century

stop posting anybody else.

Swap out Hemingway for Faulkner and I'm down.

na faulkner is a tier down desu

Hemingway is NOT a great prose stylist. He's overrated by people who want to think they're doing a critical reading of a text.

Faulkner is certainly a better prose stylist from the Pre-WWII era than Hem

He's the best Argentine, for sure. I break the best up by country. There's just too much difference in life experience in each country to realistically/properly compare. I mean, you can get a decent sense of rank when comparing language they write in, but I think it's better to rank by country.

Country is part of who the author is. And no, I'm not /pol/.

>no Cortazar
>no Gabriel Garcia Marquez

implying

>ishyggydygggy

Take out Kafka and you have a decent little list for english language writers.

>Hemingway
literal trash but most men on Veeky Forums are deeply unsettled by their gender and sexuality so I understand why he's on everyone's list ;)

tits or gtfo

It's pretty funny that people cannot see that Hemingway is THE most influential writer from the last century in the English language.

Even Joyce himself called one of his short stories one of the best pieces of literature ever.

You people are plebs that cannot into prose.

He's really not that influential. He's Denis Johnson for dummies. He's a one-trick pony George Saunders.

I don't care what Joyce said, Hemingway is one of the most overrated American writers

Nah m8, Hemingway is a secret powerhouse

what to read first from Borges?

>sudacas don't like him cause he's not a commie

>he's the best of like 3 guys of any note

Wow, a glowing endorsement if I've ever heard one

Man that's Maximalism: The Abridged Edition and you know it

Casa Tomada

>He's the best Argentine
Kek, that's like complimenting someone by saying they're the best writer on their street.

God, you're an cretin.

no pushkin was

El Aleph y Ficciones

That's Cortazar tho

>no Proust
You better stop tryna be sententious like dat

I guess I don't really have to say influential=/=good
So fucking what. Which story tho?
>le ebin plebcalling xD you've been patrician'd sir!

wtf you are right

Outside England (and maybe burguerking) none gives a damn about Joyce. On the other hand, he is just a writer about memes. "Ey, look at me! Do you remember The Odyssey? Well, close your eyes. Now, open them! BUahahahaha!!"

Thats actually the most middlebrow critique of Joyce.

Did you know Borges liked Pink Floyd?

I really like El evangelio según San Marcos

El Sur

>Marquez
>style

>no lee en español pero piensa que puede criticar el estilo de un autor latino

Read what Borges wrote about translated literature. If he read what you just wrote he would barrel roll in his grave.

Is anyone elses favourite borges book Dreamtigers?

>Read what Borges wrote about translated literature. If he read what you just wrote he would barrel roll in his grave.
Too bad the translations that he worked on with that eye-talian dude were lost

>What is the entire work of Juan Jose Saer?

Seriously, the man had a boner for Joyce. It's full of allusions, homages and references about him

>succinctness is bad

Who cares how Borges would feel? There is a Catch 22 here, which is that if the source text is not sacred (as Borges believes), then the reader of the translation should be allowed to request a hyper technical translation OR a more artful/creative translation. One make the argument that the translation must be an exact reflection (those who disagree with Borges), but one cannot argue that the translation must not be an exact reflection.

This is perhaps what being a fan is. And that's fine, user.

Borges enjoyed working with his English translator DiGiovanni so much, he promised him half the royalties of his translated works. They signed the contract--donde deal. Then el maestro died and his widow decided "fuck that" and pushed for worst translations and the effective death of DeGiovanni's superb version which made Borges weep tears of light and seeing.

If that woman Kodama, had not been Borges wife--she would be a worthy recipient of whatever puny Veeky Forums can muster.

Fucking Kodama man; have anyone read about her lawsuit against Katchadjian? Fucking ridiculous.

The guy "overwrote" El Aleph, adding superfluous words to the original; hence this non-profit proyect (like "I'm only doing this as a personal proyect, I'm not going to sell this shit to anyone; it's only an experiment") was called "El Aleph engordado" (The Fattened Aleph).

Kodama lose all her shit, and went to court for copyright infringement

When is she going to fucking die? How old is she by now?

That hag is 80 years old, so not much... 10 years top.

Also, she'll be remembered just as "the widow of Borges" and not for her own merits... Like a footnote than anything else

source?

This kills the Barthes