What's the darkest, bleakest thing you've ever read?

What's the darkest, bleakest thing you've ever read?

Book of Revelation

The Alphabet

I read the lottery in middle school was pretty dark to my 12 year old mind

Blasted is worse desu

The hollow men

Psychosis is the one that hit the hardest for me. After that it would come Phaedra. Kane was great at being completely fucked up.

Letters/Diary written by a great great grand parent who got fucked up in WWI

I'd have to second Blasted

Blood Meridian I suppose.

Wrong. At least Blasted has a happy ending, by Kane's standards. Psychosis is just pitch-black through and through.

This, but it did have a happy ending.

>characters: none
>setting: none
Jesus

my diary desu

t. brainlet

So? It's just snippets and monologues. It doesn't really need a setting or clear characters.

I mean that's pretty depressing you morons

My bad then.

Yeah people that eager to jump down someone's throat because they think said throat doesn't get their special avant garde art piece are almost always pseuds as a rule.

What going on here?....
Oh lawdy!
Witnessed

It's really hard being someone with CLINICAL DEPRESSION. Did you hear that guys? I said I'm CLINICALLY diagnosed with DEPRESSION. Yeah, I have a hard time doing normal things because of my CLINICAL DEPRESSION. Hey just stopped by, why don't we talk about my CLINICAL DEPRESSION? It's just my opinion, but I don't think you should talk about being sad about anything unless you've experienced CLINICAL DEPRESSION. Some people talk about 'depression' what they really mean is just normal sadness. They don't know how it feels to be CLINICALLY DEPRESSED like me. Just got back from the CLINIC. Turns out I'm DEPRESSED. That's fine and all but did you know that I'm CLINICALLY DEPRESSED?

Yeah, it's not like she killed herself or anything. What a phony, right?

Obviously not enough to have given you flattened affect, so it can't be that severe of a case.

This was a joke but it's also not kinda

>flattened affect
googling that really bummed me out, user.

The Faceberg blog

I think Sarah Kane did write the most depressing shit. I have a collection of her work and it almost gives off a dark energy lol

>wrote pessimist shit
>actually an heroed
Men btfo

>Just got back from the CLINIC
Only Kane didn't get back from the clinic, pseud

that doesn't have anything to do with depression.

lol

anons diary

This play was atrociously bad. Literally no discernible talent.

I would say the whole Bible. The Old Testament is practically cosmic horror, especially if you add The Apocalypse of John back in. Probably the most thoroughly bleak thing you could read.

do you hate under milk wood too? it's a beautiful play, at worst you could call it disturbing. post the i gassed kurds i killed jews section as pasta on r9k/ and it'll take off even nearly 20 years later

man, I just read this and it was really kinda shit. I mean I feel bad for her and all, but it really shows that mental illness does not equal genius.

God damn it. This is my first time seeing this term since being diagnosed with depression. So accurate...sigh.

I post this in every thread on this topic and I'll keep posting it until everyone has read it.

terrible book desu. Decent writing but the books plot etc was just awful and larpy as fuck

Objectively speaking, clinical depression weakens cognition so we shouldn't expect her work to be anything other than flawed and subjective.

Not bleak; you only fear it because you hate God.

>man, I just read this and it was really kinda shit.
m8, within the first page you would have realised how hard it is to perform if you'd read it out loud instead of in your head in the sarcastic voice you use to read the internet.

No Longer Human

>Kane died in 1999, when, two days after taking an overdose of prescription drugs, she committed suicide by hanging herself by her shoelaces in a bathroom at London's King's College Hospital.
:(

heart of darkness

The banality of evil, but not just that; its resilience, its clear logic and sense, its seductive passion, its inevitability. It was the first book of this kind I've ever read.

>you only hate it because you fear God

ftfy

Keep on reading his books, they are all the same. I love them.

sounds like its about John Calvin

I think it's mentioned somewhere that GRR Martin ripped this book to get inspiration for Tyrion Lannister somewhere.

Maldoror

How does Blood Meridian stand against The Road in terms of bleakness? Because The Road is really fucking bleak.

I don't know, man. Opinions and all, but I think there's no one out there that has written with such a fucked up, completely hopeless voice. I think she perfectly balanced the edgy with the disconnected. Not other writer sounds as utterly destroyed as her.

This sounds exactly like my kind of thing. Never heard of it, btw.

Alasdair Gray is one of the greatest living novelists and I really don't understand how he hasn't been a meme on here, instead of say, DFW.

He illustrates and typesets his own works in an interesting way too, and that alone makes his work more coherent than the other cretin of House of Leaves infamy who screwed it up with his Finnegans Wake style excess for anyone else who takes a creative interest in melding typography and writing.

The Wedding, by Yann Queffelec.

>Scarred for life

Old Testament is harsh, but it's not bleak. Joel, Job, Job or Ecclesiastes (or most stories on Genesis) have harsh, cruel philosophies but in the end, being fearful of God, one can live in this creation and humanity / the chosen people of Israel can flourish. There are glims of light among God's dark actions.

>How odd of God
>To choose the Jews

>his former husband

I don't get it; it's about a fucked up kid and his fucked up mother, not a gey thing.

That right there is Veeky Forums as fuck desu.

are you saying that it's good because it's hard to perform? what kind of logic is that?

This reads like copypasta.

>just read the butler translation of the iliad and the odyssey
REEEE

Agreed. I would expect Lanark to be right up Veeky Forums's street too, with its postmodern stylings. And I think Unlikely Stories, Mostly must be the most imaginative set of short stories I've ever read.

He doesn't seem to be very well known outside of Scotland, though. Had a bit of a cult following down south for a while but I think he's disappeared from the radar now. Too political maybe?

I don't know to be honest. The writings good, the plots quirky, the design is great overall, and yet everyone goes gaga over the meme-tier stuff (as in the memes, not the actual books, which no one gives a shit about) like DFW, House of Leaves, and whatnot.

I really do think he's the latter-day version of Flann O'Brien, and that's saying something in my book, whatever that counts for on an anonynmous shitposting pastaboard.

It's worse. The Road is arguably a hopeful novel despite its dark, violent imagery but there's like... absolutely nothing positive in Blood Meridian that I can think of.

if you think depression didn't influence her decision to kill herself then you're an idiot

The movie with sissy spacek is gud too desu

faggot pseud