How do you reconcile the fact that there is nothing that has been done in literature that can't be done better in video...

How do you reconcile the fact that there is nothing that has been done in literature that can't be done better in video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KXLNsQA9HT8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

guaranteedreplies.jpg

We don't.

Literature is like a friend gifting you a tool to ensnarl your imagination and build your own understanding of a world. It is a free experience.

Video-gaming is like a friend inviting you at a party in his home. He is master of the experience. A guided one.

The boundaries aren't the same and both serves different purposes.

Medias are not competing with each other. They are complementary.

Now fuck off, litlet

literature drawbacks:
~~fo' real~~
>there's a fiery desire to read everything, but you must take one step at the time.
~~baity~~
>you get pretentious af
>knowledge = power

videogame drawbacks:
~~fo'real~~
>you become trapped in a skinner's box, spending countless hours doing the same shit (for fun, they say...)
>online games take too long to end (MOBAS, MMO's,)
>can get really expensive to start up
>can get really expensive to upkeep (if you play AAA frequently)
>games are longer than a book, usually. And they're very inefficient at delivering new experiences. Since it has to sacrifice gameplay for this.
>being addicted to video game must suck ass. (These chinese VG addiction centers are serious business, tho.)
~~baity~~
>not really popular with the ladies
>anime + vidya = ultimate degeneracy
>school shooter's favourite hobbie

1) If you pirate ebooks there's no reason why you wouldn't pirate video games.

As a medium I'd say that the pic is right. Sadly, there are not many examples of videogames that use the medium to convey the kind of inmersion the pic is suggesting. I guess literature limitations as a medium make writers take extra efforts in their work. Also, videogame doesn't attract the kind of "narrative talent" that would be necessary to make the kind of things that the pic is suggesting SpecOps do (and it doesn't, even when it's not a bad game, but implying that it's a much better experience than Apocalypse Now or Heart Of Darkness is pure stupidity)

Only those i can't find anywhere (which is rare, but it happens)
----
books cost about 6~30 dollars
(ebooks are cheaper, between 3~10 dollars
e-reader is about $120
-
videogames costs about $30-60 plus DLC, plus the console/PC. (and you have to ugrade), plus online connectivity for a decent online experience, plus a TV/monitor.
do you really that much for it?
It's clearly very cost-inefficient for what it offers

How do you know it can be done better if it hasn't been done better? Intuitively it SHOULD be able to do things better than literature, but a lot of times creative expression is a product of the limitations of a medium rather than its capabilities.

honestly, most gamers are dumb.
Just watch some E3 compilation or the new releases and you'll see how bad it is.

I must warn you, it's very cringey watching these E3 comps.

I don't, I pirate everything but the hardware. I've gotten my money's worth in both books and games.

You're being rather pedantic here. If you pirate the software, price shouldn't even come into the discussion. So drop that argument right now.

>cringey
Is there a pseudier word?

>Just watch some E3 compilation or the new releases and you'll see how bad it is.

What the fuck are you getting at with this comment? What makes it dumb? You can't just speak vaguely and expect us to take your word at face value, we aren't Trump supporters here.

>what makes it dumb
I can't tell you that, You have to watch it for yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=KXLNsQA9HT8
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Still, $120 compared to $whateveragamingpcorconsolecostswhichisdefenitelyhigherthan120dollars is an advantageous upfront cost.

DIFFERENT MEDIUMS DESU

This "debate" is always fucking ridiculous

Brainlet detected, it's because they are different you can compare them. Escaping from the debate is just running away from the truth that you favorite medium might be inferior.

OP is a faggot, Spec Ops the Line is highly overrated. it's another "war is bad" story that any hack could write and Metal Gear Solid beat it to its criticism a player's indulging in violence years ago. If you take away its "clever" script and surprisingly good acting performance from Nolan North, you get a mediocre duck-and-cover shooter.

He's not wrong. Storytelling is often a secondary concern, if at all. make a direct comparison between any novel and Guilty Gear, I dare you.

Winston Rowntree sucks ass

Being immersed in play as opposed to being immersed in the act of reading are two entirely different emotional and physical responses. I'm not going to debate the utility of either of them, but you're getting something fundamentally different in either experience. Haggling over the plot, which the image in the OP seems to be doing, is hugely reductive.

>muh vidya

look. it's a sub-par medium, which has to rely on muh immersion to emotionally salvage the mixed attentions of its users. it is a diluted work as it lacks the focus of the finer arts, the core arts. the reason these works are superior, is that they make up every aspect of life. The core arts are the guidelines by which we hand down the content of our culture, ideas, and emotions through the ages. They are the catalyst for pure creation. Even a type of toil, like carpentry, would be ultimately superior to vidya. Hell, vidya relies so heavily on these various core arts, language (from the code to the narration), painting (for the design and style), music, sculpture, all of these core arts combined typically results with a work that is not greater than the sum of its parts, whereas literature can achieve so much more simply with a pen and paper, with the unmitigated focus of one brilliant mind, one man, one pen, can create such a vast universe, such a canonical achievement, such depth, that the entire world must stop and take notice. vidya relies on a multimillion dollar corporation, or indie studios begging for money, or even a single man, tearing himself apart in the various arts, instrad of being devoted to a single unifying core art. i need not speak of the heart of vidya, from its very nature of birth, it is and always will be a commercial enterprise. it won't ever escape it. Borges once told Buckley that he would write even if he knew no one would ever read any of it. Interestingly enough, his immersive properties of prose and labyrinthine puzzles of thought surpass any vidya in existence, i wonder why.

drumpf XD

Most middle managers, CEOs, organizers and presenters with the video game industry are dumb. I doubt that there are many gamers who don't find E3 cringey.

That said I agree that video games are shit. I still play some. It's somewhat addicting.

pleb

Spec Ops sucked. The narrative was unbelievable and what little there was would have been better as a book.

>uses 'literary' prose to highlight his like for a video game

Really makes you think

Maybe the whole"Wanted to see the game through and I could stop at any time" narrative would work if it was free, to tell me that shit and how genius it is after I paid for the game is a slap to the face.

The PC market is so saturated that most indie dev will figure out that any for profit game is a waste of time and money.

Books will always be the best method of transferring complex information. Even speech: when it's done extemporaneously it isn't as well thought out as long-form text is; and when it's written beforehand it's ultimately just a long-form text being read to you. With text you can go at your own speed; bookmark and reread old passages; easily stop and think about what's occurring without the temptations of gameplay distracting you. Books are just the best medium for imparting both complex and subtle messages.

>another 'horrors of war' narrative
Video games are supposed to be the one medium where you can pretend to indulge in the masculine virtues of power and physical courage. Why do people want to ruin that?

because war is traumatic. that's why you don't hear vets swapping war stories. lots of them get ptsd and are fucked for life.

This is a myth of contemporary war that people propagate in order to discourage combat. The truth is that a very small minority of soldiers are traumatized by war. The real problem for them is readjusting to normal life after months of adrenaline secretion and other endorphin releases that can't be elicited in civilian life to the same extent. They become addicted to war.

Many solders look back at the time they served consider it be the greatest and most important moments of their lives. Soldiers read Homer and Henry V and understand them completely.

fake news eh? alrighty then.

>understand them completely
And yet it was non-soldiers who wrote them.

Not fake news at all, it's just that the people traumatized by war get a disproportionate amount of attention. It's natural to focus on those broken by war because they're more newsworthy than the majority who come back and learn to adjust to normal life.