95% going to buy this knife. Used one last night and it felt pretty good, easy to get an edge on the blade

95% going to buy this knife. Used one last night and it felt pretty good, easy to get an edge on the blade.

Is it worth buying this over the Ikea 365+ 20cm chef's knife? I have read the Ikea blade is crap.

i used a 5 dollar knife from Costco and it worked perfectly fine for what i needed it for
dont know why people waste so much money on meme knives tbfh

i was expecting this answer, my mum got me a wiltshere stay sharp blade, the one with the scabbard with the sharpener inside. What a piece of shit that is, the sharpener doesn't even sharpen it and the blade seems to be curved as it does not work in any conventional sharpener, impossible to get a razor edge.

The victorinox last night was at a rental house and was dull as fuck, i put it through the sharpener once and it was absolutely fantastic. I am not sure about quality vs price etc hence the question here, this knife has really good reviews

I still have and use my fibrox knives from my chef days 20 years ago. You’ll get contrarian fuckheads hereabouts sperging about it, but they’re a perfectly good knife. I say go for it.

IKEA knives are crap.

it says it has an extra wide blade, is this any problem?

no, it means that it is the actual chef's knife version. There are knives that are just as long and look just like it, but they are actually slicers. YOu need the chef's knife for proper knuckle clearance on the cutting board. I will say that I have the IKEA knife you mentioned and I think it is pretty good. It takes an edge easily and stays sharp just as long as the Victorinox.

None of this shit matters if you're not willing to learn how to sharpen your blade.

what's most important is that it fits your hand and that you hone it regularly

sharp as a razor blade is a meme

Buy a Wusthof and you won't need to ever buy another.

Every blade gets dull.

Not really a meme, just not the appropriate edge angle for a chef's knife.
Pretty close to what a Japanese single bevel sushi knife is sharpened to, though.

>it actually has a specific use case, therefore it isn't a meme
i bet all the people buying those knives are making sushi everyday at home

or the guy who uses it to make sushi specifically? no chance it is a commercial product that is available to buy ?

All you need to make sushi is cold water. This dipshittery is kind of depressing to read.

I use kiwi knives, they're like $4 each and last for a long time. I give such little fucks that I also put them in the dishwasher. After a couple of years use I just buy a couple more.

Can't understand why weebs spend hundreds on Japanese knives

They love the culture that they can't live in. It's like all low information people.

>yeah im totally buying this knife because im going to make sushi with it once in a while (never) and not because i fell for the meme

cook i worked with used kiwi knives too for cutting veg

Yes

>or the guy who uses it to make sushi specifically? no chance it is a commercial product that is available to buy ?
Sure it's available, not much point if you aren't cranking out tons of sushi to sell.
I don't think very many people actually buy them outside of commercial establishments. Even in Japan they're rare in home kitchens. Japanese home cooks have gone over to double bevels, which is basically why the santoku knife is a thing.

samefagging because I missed this post
Kiwi knives are fucking fantastic.
They aren't even just great for their price, they're actually great in general, especially if you know how to keep them sharpened. Yes they struggle to keep their edge but they touch up easy. I actually have a dozen of their single bevel thin deba-style knives at work, when one gets a bit dull during the day I just toss it aside and grab the next one. At the end of the day I run them all for a few strokes on the finest grit stone I have, takes very little time.

I had a set of those once. They were sharp, but I didn't like how thin and light the blade was. My roommate stole them anyway, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I've had a Victorinox 10" chefs knife for 15 years or more. Don't need anything else. Works just fine. Easy to sharpen. Cuts as well as any fancy blade with a huge price tag. Get one, you won't regret it.

>Wusthof
are these THAT good?
i just bought a Wusthof Classic 8” chef’s knife and i like it

The handle is really nice. Doesn't slip with slimy stuff on your hands.

I just got a handful of Kiwi knives
4 small ones, 4 other small ones two medium & two large - no idea what the styles are called
and i just tossed all my old ones
for the price, they seem like great knifes for general kitchen use -- i'm not a chef
they sharpen easily
the ones i tossed had been abused pretty hard and the had bent tips and the edges were pretty fucked up, bent, dinged, nicked etc
i spent around $50 at a local restaurant supply store