Its literally impossible to clean this thing. I run hot water in it like all you fuckers tell me to...

its literally impossible to clean this thing. I run hot water in it like all you fuckers tell me to. but no matter how many times i wipe it clean with a piece of paper towel i get brown/black residue left on the paper after wiping. Even worse, when i add oil i get some dark black residue on the towel. I've even tried using dishing soap to make sure all grease is gone but still, the black residue appears.

Am i just supposed to accept that my iron skillet is going to be a dirty and unhygienic way to cook?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY
youtube.com/watch?v=4mbv0_npHNg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY

This educational video might help remedy your retardation. No promises though, some anons are sadly beyond saving.

Yes that layer of carbon is the nonstick surface.
It's just a dirty way to cook.

Buy a cast iron scrubber faggot

What is with this new intonation fad of sounding like you're not quite sure of what you're saying? Vox videos are one of the worst offenders but it's pretty prevalent everywhere.

You fell for the meme. Cast iron is not practical anymore.

it's only impractical if you're a wristlet who can't lift the pan

You mean the ascending tonality toward the end of sentences that aren't questions? That's hardly new. Kinda like it though. It's like the opposite of folksy.

Jesus Christ that looks so impractical. Fuck that shit.

There's a reason we moved on from cast iron shit faggot.

Congrats, you fell for the meme.

yeh, that, and also the uncertain pausing at awkward points in the sentence. It's supposed to sound "natural" somehow, like the person isn't reading from a script, but it's always executed in the exact same way, stopping at the exact same points, making it obvious that it's affected.

Are you oil-free too? Enjoying that hair trigger penis that never disappoints?

Rinse and wipe, then run under water til clwan to your levwl of taste, wipe out a bit with paper towels, then heat to dry, then oil, eventually itll build a seasoning to fix this

>making it obvious that it's affected.
So what? It's no more affected than the Boomer "hippy" manner of speech that was just a parody of a rich girl Main Line,PA accent. Or the fake British accent every movie star spoke with in the 50's. Or the equally annoying fake Brit accent every third wave west coast punk band sang with. Or Mick Jagger's fake American accent, which came in both black and white flavors. Teen cultures adopted affectations across the 20th Century. And it goes beyond that. How many kitchens still speak in French? After a certain point the affectation becomes part of who you are. It just gives her a time and place that honestly suits her. Imagine the entire video narrated by Dolly Parton or Loretta Lynn. That wouldn't work, would it?

>its so simple
>season it
>wash it with salt when its somewhat hot but not too hot
>but make sure it doesn't get too cold
>season it again after you wash it
>heat it up to burn off the oil
>nothing could be simpler
fuck cast iron faggots

nice to see an informative buzzfeed/tasty vid linked here

Yeah, all of that is very simple. After you season it, it takes like 5 minutes of washing or less each time you use it.

>season it again after you wash it
You don't have to do this every time.

>5 minutes of washing
bro i aint got that much time to be messing with stuff

hipsters make it look way more retarded than it actually is
your great-great-grandparents' slaves cooked with this shit and they couldn't read or write, it's not THAT goddamn difficult

what a lot of people fuck up is how formation of seasoning works. the chemical process is called polymerization, and it's literally BURNING grease stains onto the cast iron.

do you or your parents have a super old baking sheet or something that has black grease stains burnt on that never come off? THAT is polymerized fat, THAT is what cast iron seasoning is made out of

you rub on some oil, then you paper towel off as much as you can to make sure it's thin and even, and then you put it in a fucking HOT oven so it burns on and smokes like crazy
if you do it like that and you do it right then it's not coming off and it's not going to get fucked up

>dark black residue on the towel
That's supposed to be there. Those are the polymerized oils.

This. The point isn't washing it, it's sterilizing it with heat while you burn grease into it.

ok got it chief, will try to acquire a cheap cast iron and give it a go

Just wash it with soap and water. If your seasoning is good, it'll be fine. 90% of what you read about cast iron is a bunch of bullshit.

yeh, all of the accents you listed that I actually recognize and can "picture" how they sound, all of them I find annoying. It might be a part of who they are, but it's a particularly annoying part that was at least chosen by its earlier users.

lodge is fine, they come a little rough (they used to sand them smooth at the factory but they haven't done that for decades) but that just means you have to season it more. they're still serviceable pans

>I actually recognize and can "picture" how they sound, all of them I find annoying.
Autism, or just having trouble growing out of the Holden Caulfield thing?

you're probably annoyed by the gay affect. I don't see how me being annoyed by this is any different.

>gay affect.
Don't think so. I can remember back to the 1980's, and it was hard to tell the difference between folks wealthy enough that their parents paid for a liberal arts education and gays as far as accent was concerned. Though gays back then put it on a lot harder. But the trick was really looking to see whose asses they checked out. The accent doesn't bother me in the least.

Just scrup your cast iron for a few minutes with a cup full of sand and some water and a stiff brush to get rid off all the loose carbon stuff and shit seasoning, then put on new good seasoning.

I would suggest to just go ahead and sand it yourself.

It's way easier to sand it down to flat iron than it is to build the fucking season up over the bumps.

Good news about cast iron is that you dont REALLY need to clean it. Mine has a nice enough finish that I just wipe it out when im done using it.

you absolutely need power tools if you want to sand it yourself, and not everybody wants to run out and buy a corded drill and a wire brush to clean up a $20 pan

just go to the thrift store and buy one already pre-seasoned and you can wash and store it like a regular pan no hipster washing and seasoning rituals required

You can literally sand it down with sandpaper and your hand.

youtube.com/watch?v=4mbv0_npHNg

That dude's doing it absolutely wrong. You can see how the sandpaper is only making contact with the surface around the edges of that jar.
Even an orbit sander will do it better and more evenly.

t. Soyboy

Why not get a carbon steel wok?

The black residue is iron retard

its a numale soyboy trait. nothing is said with confidence or conviction no matter how arbitrary the subject matter

>its a numale soyboy trait.
If that were the case it would only be rarely heard, because very few such characters actually exist outside of the imaginations of those who find them threatening. Yet this manner of speaking is pretty common. It seems to be an urban/suburban white kid thing, because you almost never hear blacks, Latinos or rural whites talking like this.

A trait stereotypical of a given group can exist in a massive number of people who might not even belong to that group. In other words, just because someone isn't a numale soyboy doesn't mean that they don't talk like one.

>you almost never hear blacks, Latinos

Check college campuses. They're everywhere.

True. But it seems silly to identify a common manner of speaking with a small minority of such speakers. It'd be like saying a white Southern American accent is a KKK accent, since most members of the Klan speak that way.
College kids frequently adopt the affectations of their peers. But this particular style of speech is really fucking white.

I seasoned mine but somewhow it still has tiny tiny spots of rust on the cooking surface so I tried stripping it with steel wool but now now matter how many times I wash and rinse there's always some fucking iron residue. I don't want to cook with it anymore because i dont want to swallow fucking iron shavings.

All those fucks online said it would work but now it's just ruined and the rust is still untouched.

You can't ruin a cast iron pan. Worst case scenario, strip it and re-season it.

>>stripping it with steel wool
why would you do that? You want something harder than the metal, not the same hardness. Use sandpaper if you want to mechanically strip it. Or, for a lot less work, you can strip it with heat. Just leave it in your oven for the self-clean cycle.

>white southern accent is the kkk accent
Tell that to the north.

>somehow it still has tiny tiny spots of rust
>I tried stripping it with steel wool
>no matter how many times I wash and rinse there's always some fucking iron residue
>now it's just ruined and the rust is still untouched
there's at least four times where reading this I laughed and said "you fucking idiot" but sure, it's the fault of all those assholes online, just playing tricks on you, guess you got pranked bro, just dump that cast iron off at goodwill and never think about it again. buy stainless next time, chump.

Up here we see it as more of an obese and uneducated accent.

>accept that my iron skillet is going to be a dirty and unhygienic way to cook?

it will get so goddam hot that nothing "unhygienic" will survive on it.

dude how am I supposed to know all of this shit?

I'm not trying to look smart. I tried reading from as many sources as I could and still couldn't make it. Don't laugh at me, help me get better.

The tiny spots of rust are more like what the pan looks like after it's stripped in It's not so much spots as areas that have an orange tint. The girl doesnt seem to care. The first time I tried seasoning, I applied oil with a paper towel and it left tons of little paper residue that made the seasoning spotty. I want to try microfiber cloth or something next time.

Please if it's so easy just tell me how to get it running.

muh cast iron after making an omelet

muh cast iron after wiping it clean with a paper towel about 8 hours later

>want to try microfiber cloth or something next time.
Christ, just use your FINGERS. Don't use any kind of cloth or paper--as you already learned, that might leave residue behind.

Guess I'll do that. If only that girl in the video didnt advise me to use the paper towel i'd probably be cooking it with for a while now (and I'm not buying cheap ass paper towels either).

I have three cast iron pans and a cast iron wok. Maintaining them isn't all that fussy. Definitely use them mostly for high heat cooking in fat (oil or lard). Clean them only with hot water and a fingernail for the rare times something sticks to them. Most of the time I cook with enough oil/fat that there's a layer left on the pan after I rinse. I only have to season it after doing something acidic then doing something sticky like eggs.

scrub it out with a heap of sand, water and some old rags. Or have it sandblasted somewhere, that would be the best solution. That gets rid of EVERYTHING - rust, dirt, spotty old seasoning, grease and it will also smooth it over a little bit, plus it will give it a great surface for the new seasoning.

can someone tell me ways in which a cast iron beats out a carbon steel pan? carbon steel seems like all the benefits with none of the flaws

>plus it will give it a great surface for the new seasoning.
You are right about everything else, but you have that part backwards. Sandblasting or sandpaper leaves the metal very rough at the microscopic level. That invites rust. You'd be better off using heat to remove old seasoning (stick it in the oven and run the self-clean cycle, or get it hot as fuck on a big gas burner), or using a wire brush. A wire brush leaves a smooth, burnished, surface rather than a rough one.

because it's hard and most people are stupid

cast iron is still a good deal heavier which will give it superior heat retention, it doesnt warp permanently and it takes a more robust seasoning. Cast iron pans usually also look better/more decorative. I do like the badass utulitarian look of my carbon steel pans though and I use them a lot.

>very rough at the microscopic level. That invites rust
true, so of course you need to put on the oil and the seasoning on right afterwards. Once you have it seasoned it wont make any difference. That roughness at the microscopic level will let the seasoning stick like shit to a towel.

Is copper a better alternative to cast iron?Ive been thinking about getting one, despite the cost

>can someone tell me ways in which a cast iron beats out a carbon steel pan?
Cast iron is thicker, which means it heats more evenly and it can store up more heat within the pan.

Beyond that, the two are pretty much identical: same exact seasoning and care.

Oh, I forgot one other detail: cast pans usually have the handle made as a part of the pan. Thus it can't come loose. OTOH, carbon steel often has a separate handle riveted in place. That could result in the handle coming loose if the rivets weren't set properly, though I've never seen that happen with any of the pans I've worked with.

>That roughness at the microscopic level will let the seasoning stick like shit to a towel.
And that's the problem. It also makes food stick like shit to a towel.

Seasoning doesn't need a rough surface to adhere to the pan. It's not a layer that is "stuck on". It's a chemical reaction that happens to the iron. A roughly sandblasted surface does nothing to make the seasoning any better/easier, but it does make the food more likely to stick.

It sounds like you might be confusing keeping your pan covered with a layer of oil as opposed to actually seasoning it.

just use soap

copper is for totally diffferent things. It conducts heat like crazy so you will never have any hotspots and stuff. Great for sensitive things like sauces and pudding and similar dainty things. But For steaks and meat you need really high heat for a good sear. Tinned copper doesn't like that at all. Forget it on the hot cooktop for a minute and you can spend 100-300 bucks on a retinning job.

They are very different beasts. Completely different, in fact.

Copper cookware is thin and reacts quickly to changes in heat. Think of it like a nimble sports car. Cast iron is thick and heavy. It stores heat and maintains an even temperature. Think of it like a big dump truck. They are different tools for different jobs.

>you can spend 100-300 bucks on a retinning job.

Fuck me, I'm in the wrong business.

>roughly sandblasted surface does nothing to make the seasoning any better/easier, but it does make the food more likely to stick.
it will giev the seasoning /the polymerized oil a vastly larger surface to cling to, on the "underside" of the seasoning. But at the same time thee seasoning wwill "fill" all the tiny microscopic valleys the sandblasting has created and have a right smooth surfece on its "upper" side. It will not make food stick.

Just two days ago I stripped all the seasoning off my carbon steel pan with rubber sanding blocks meant for class ceramic cooktops. Those things left millions of tiny scratches all over the steel, but it took a fantastic mirror smooth seasoning afterwards. Just try it out.

Nice b8, m8. I r8 it 8/8

>But at the same time thee seasoning wwill "fill" all the tiny microscopic valleys the sandblasting has created

Nope. Proper seasoning is only a few atoms thick, and it extends INTO the iron. Remember, it's a chemical reaction that happens to the iron, not a "layer" or "coating". You're just talking about a pan that's perpetually oily.

>it's a chemical reaction that happens to the iron
nigga it's fucking BURNT ON GREASE

>nigga it's fucking BURNT ON GREASE
It sounds like that's what you're doing, yes.

But like I said, you're confusing that with proper seasoning. Proper seasoning is not burnt on grease; it's the conversion of the outer layer of iron to magnetite (Fe3O4).

>Proper seasoning is only a few atoms thick,
Oil is made up of molecules, user.
The layer of seasoning is much thicker than a few atoms.

>a pan that's perpetually oily
so what? Even if you are right, (which I doubt very much judging from my own experience) even a seasoned pan needs to be oiled before cooking. Next we will be debating whether it is the oil or seasoning underneath that prevents food from sticking and the argument will have achived its ultimate retardation level. All I know is that I have totally scratched up my pan with stuff worse than sandblasting, put a new seasoning on and it works perfectly fine.

Only cast iron can invoke such garbage discussion.

>it's the conversion of the outer layer of iron to magnetite (Fe3O4).
So that is where yyour weird arguments came from. Brotip: it is not. Seasoning is just a layer of polymerized, like in plasticized, fat

You're talking about a layer of grease on your pan.
I'm talking about a chemical reaction that happens to the iron itself and gives the pan that black color.

>so what?
Since the "seasoning" isn't an oily layer that means it doesn't need a rough surface, such as that provided by a sandblaster, to adhere to. The conclusion is therefore that sandblasting is counterproductive.

>even a seasoned pan needs to be oiled before cooking
Of course it does. The main purpose of oiling a pan has little to do with sticking. Instead it's a heat-transfer medium. The oil fills the gaps between the food and the pan and helps conduct heat to the food.

>>All I know is that I have totally scratched up my pan with stuff worse than sandblasting, put a new seasoning on and it works perfectly fine.
I'm not arging against that. I'm sure you did do so. My point is that sandblasting, while it CAN work, is far from ideal as described in .

You are supposed to be american to use those, they dont care about igiene, nor getting cancer from burned stuff since they will die from stroke at 35

what are some great recipes for cast iron besides seared meat by itself? I''ve been looking for one pan meals.

A few one-pan meals I can think of that I like to do in my CI:
-breakfasts: full English, hashes, or whatever else
-Braised dishes like gumbo, jambalaya, perlou, etc.
-Stews
-stir-fries; in fact, a thick heavy CI skillet is about the closest you can come to approximating a proper stir-fry if all you have is an electric range.

it took you 8 hours to clean that pan? jesus i'm getting a non-stick

It is ideal for fried potatoes. I also regularly make pancakes in it, works fine. Don't mmake anything in it that required you to boil water for a longer time or acidicc stuff, that can fuck up the seasoning.

spotted the lazy slob

That fucking uptalking. WHY DO YOU AMERIFATS DO IT?!

corned beef hash with eggs is one of my go-tos, cast iron is the fucking king for breakfast.
has good ideas but braised things and stews will usually require something deeper like a dutch oven. Lodge makes an excellent combo set that's a skillet and a fryer though

Show the omelet faggot!

>has good ideas but braised things and stews will usually require something deeper like a dutch oven.

Lodge has a new product now that I really really like: it's an extra-deep 12" skillet. Think of it like halfway between a skillet and a dutch oven. It's fucking fantastic: it's deep enough you can cook braises in it, but at the same time it's low enough you can use it for flat foods like steaks/chops/etc.

You're so full of shit that it's shitty bait.

You do realize you are starting to just rub of the finish at that point?

Don't over clean you guns and don't over clean your cast iron.

This videos is pretty solid...honestly I wouldn't suggest a beginer replace all of their cookware with cast iron, but having at least one deep pan with lid and a wide flat skillet will open up so many oppertuinities to do nifty cooking.

Once again, moisture is the enemy, make sure it's dry then wipe with a bit of oil.

you reading comprehension issues are noted

he's a lazy slob for leaving a dirty pan sitting out all day

Uh, no we don't?

you arent meant to clean all the grease off cooking pans, its just going to get greased again next time

>cooking omelettes in cast iron

Add a small amount of oil. Wipe down entire pan with a light coat. Heat pan until oil smokes. Take off heat. Sounds like you are using too much oil to season the pan.

It's literally impossible to be as dumb as op

i've made pizza in mine :-)

Was it free, you enormous faggot?

no i paid for the ingredients