So here's my essay that I submitted for the English placement test at my school...

So here's my essay that I submitted for the English placement test at my school. It was a two hour timed test that I had to take in a testing room. I only got into English 101, not English 102. What would you say is wrong with my essay that it's not good enough for English 102?

Overwhelming, overwhelming, overwhelming.

A typo right in the beginning of the second paragraph. "The author gives overwhelming reason..."

I assume this isn't all you wrote in two hours? If so, way too short.

>repeated sentence structure
>comma splices
>too many adverbs, repetitive adjectives
>first person (without the prompt we don't know if they wanted your opinion or not, otherwise steer clear.
>poor transitions
>similar paragraph sizes
These all stand out to me writing wise and that's not even touching content. I'd say you were boarder line but they want you to improve your writing fundementals.

>>first person (without the prompt we don't know if they wanted your opinion or not, otherwise steer clear.
They did ask for my opinion. They asked me to make state the thesis statement and supporting arguments in the article, and then respond to these arguments with my own opinion. It was particularly part of the essay to give your opinion.

If you're talking about towards the bottom, how the sentence structures get a bit similar and don't transition well (particularly in the last 3 paragraphs) - I know. I didn't have enough time to fix that. I was spending too much time tweaking other things. It's been about 5 years since I was in high school and did anything resembling academic writing. I usually only write for myself, on my blog.

Bottom line is that you really didn't stand out from the crowd and you need to work on fundementals of academic writing. You said yourself you haven't done any in years and you shouldn't see it as a time waste. The University wants you to succeed but your writing skills right now don't guarantee that. It sucks but I think they placed you correctly.

I can't believe I tested into retard English. This has had me feeling kinda depressed this afternoon.

My god so boring go away

>multiple of the studies

You didn't test into retard English you tested into normal English. Your writing is the level I'd expect of a normal college freshman. Get over yourself for not skipping one class.

It's not that I can't skip one class. It's that I should be better than this. This is nowhere near my strongest writing, I've probed the depths of my deepest thoughts at great length. I can express myself very well, I can elaborate and pick away at the facets of my thoughts. I even got a perfect score in one of the English tests at a community college I went to once. It just makes me feel very unintelligent, that I write so much, and the one thing that I feel somewhat confident in is my writings skills, and now I'm just tossed among all these normal fuck ups. I'm on the same level as some piece of shit who probably watches Monday night football, and never gave a shit about his or her writing ability in their life.

if you measure your self-worth by a stupid exam like this you have already lost. bypassing English 101 wouldn't change that

things that immediately stick out in the first paragraph.
>is clearly a strong advocate
clearly is unnecessary
>almost overwhelmingly
waste of words
>small amount of arbitrary reasons
while giving arbitrary reasons
>some of the reasons
The author states that it could be too expensive...
>states overwhelming reason

in short, your writing is not very good. As others have said, for a freshman this is certainly not awful writing, but it needs quite a bit of work. The worst part, though, isn't your writing but rather that you lack the perspective to see that your writing is not polished and you believe that you deserve to be in 102 rather than 101 where you can actually learn and fix your errors.
with time you will learn

Well, I got 3 hours of fucking sleep and only 2 hours to finish the test. It's not even my best work. I have years worth of writings on my blog, all better than this piece of shit I wrote for this college.

oh, its a bait thread
oh well

I'm not bating or joking, but whatever. Or maybe you're just using the word bait wrong. Bait is when you're trying to coax someone into taking you seriously, and responding seriously to you, when you're not being serious and just trying to fuck with them.

Then it's your fault, no? You didn't show the college your "skills" and they did the sensible thing and didn't pass you. If you're so good you'll do fine in 101, will polish your skills, and hopefully walk away less arrogant. You showed us the same thing the college saw so don't be butthurt because we agree with them.

Who said I'm butthurt at what you're saying? I'm mad at myself that I'm a piece of shit, and that I live in a world where you have to climb proverbial walls. I am just tired, and I wish that I could just spend time alone in my apartment for years and years and years, and never have to come into contact with the outside world. That's what I've been doing for the past several years, alone, in my apartment, just reading and listening to classical music, shitposting on forums, and reading the occasional article about world events (before the Trump election happened, and now I can't stand to look at the news). I hate this world.

>Bait is when you're trying to coax someone into taking you seriously, and responding seriously to you, when you're not being serious and just trying to fuck with them.
Yes and your posts, full of overconfidence and excuses, seem like something you would find on /b/
if you really are being serious then please listen: you are not a good writer. even with no sleep and a pressureized situation, someone with even a bit of writing talent could write much better than this. Don't be discouraged, though, because you actually have the capacity to LEARN, that is what college is for. Get out of the high school mentality where teachers praise subpar work because it is better than even shittier work, and learn how to improve rather than blaming external circumstances.
i am a college senior now and when i look back at writing from sophomore year, let alone high school, i cringe really hard at how bad it was and some of them even received decent grades.

I don't even feel like reading anything, I feel too stupid. Everything that a retard can't achieve requires some level of intelligence, and everything else is menial and pointless. On one hand, you have the world of climbing proverbial walls, on the other hand you have crushing emptiness and labor. All the while, I'm nothing but a creepy awkward loser. My negativity seems to always drive people away, except for people who are just as toxic as myself. It's like this balancing act, between being an awkward, bitter, socially rejected loser; and on the other hand maintaining some sort of image that seems acceptable in other people's eyes. On every front, there's something that requires you to climb a proverbial wall, because you can't just be a retard if you want to achieve anything in life.

Perhaps if I was mentally retarded, people would have more sympathy, because some people who don't care about the smell see that a retard is utterly inoffensive. But I am worse than a retard. I forget who it was that said the more intelligent someone is, the less successful they are as a species. So what does that make me? I realize that some people who seem to just be empty headed, vacuous hoes seem to coast by in life, without any sort of notion of what it means to be conscious of their own thoughts. Then there's me. All I have to do is think, and I've already committed the cardinal sin of exercising my thoughts; my naturally inferior thoughts which are by nature, lower on the dominance hierarchy. I am set up to fail by nature, if it was easy for me as it is for some people, who are by nature superior, then I would have never had to deal with these struggles.

>scary quotes
>adverbs
>passive voice
>spelling mistakes
>no indentations?
>"this," not elaborating
>"The...," starting sentences the same
>"to me," stating the obvious

You had to be particular about when you were talking and when the author was talking. It's understandable though, because no one read the outline for the essay.

>anything academic
>written in first person
I would've personally told you to fuck off forever if I was in charge of wherever you're applying to mate, but whatevs.

Darling, the head of the English department let me have my paper back, because I personally asked her if I could have it back so I could see it after the test. The testing department told me no, but I called the English department and the head of the department itself said yes. You have a very distorted view of how to respond to others, and I assume you're well aware of that.

clearly, overwhelming, arbitrary

Are you fucking autistic? Because he's obviously speaking in hyperbole. You've taken nothing we've said to heart. And that Department Head gave zero fucks about you personally and has better things to do than care about an incoming freshman.

this unironically reads, overwhelmingly, like the work of someone with autism

Which is why I'm not a teacher, eh? I'm not here to coddle anyone. I'm not here to apply a pedagogical method. I'm here to tell you that it's to be expected that your work only gets you into the 101 class.

How do you want me to respond to the things people point out in my writing? I do see them, you're just being particularly rude. Please leave, you're just dragging down the overall tone of this thread.

Clearly the author must overwhelmingly work on his writing skills, I would agree.

yeah to be honest, friend, your writing is pretty mediocre. best to recognize that now and let go of the fantasy, it's how to maximize your potential in the long run

there are at least 8 reasons why you are correct

>tfw to intelligent to skip clases

>clearly
>almost overwhelmingly
>only

I'm ganna stop reading