What does Veeky Forums think of the new penguin classics?

What does Veeky Forums think of the new penguin classics?

I've got Ten Days that Shook the World and Sanshiro and I quite like the new design. I think some of the choices for the series are kind of odd though

it just look like the older ones with a more bright color

What happened to the gorgeous art that used to be on the front? I still remember the cover they did for the Iliad and how nice it was.

They bought into the millennial minimalist aesthetic meme.

Yeah, it's definitely an aberration from their historical brand, done only to please reddit kids. They never looked like this before. They always had appropriate paintings on the fronts.

Right, you're right.

The new austerity! They took our nice, shiney covers to use them in the war effort.

I like them.

They're 75% owned by krauts. No wonder they're so shit.

You can be referential and still minimalist. These definitely are inspired by their older books but are also streamlined to appeal to the kool kidz.

So in other words, and by your own admission, you've now said precisely nothing - assuming that you are also the author of the post

They look like shit

I hate it when things change

Yeah, you pointed out they reference their earlier publications but they are also in the modern minimalist vein that's very popular right now. It's a marketing tactic and a throwback with modern design. Not everything on this board is about winning or browbeating each other for fucks sake.

Looks Ikea as fuck.

>makes a rhetorical point, takes a stance
>gets rigorously called out on it
>n-not everything is a c-competition user d-don't be a cunt on Veeky Forums which is populated by internet argument guys

The real point here is that you didn't consider the throwback in above post until I pointed it out. Is it possible that you had it in mind? Sure, but we're past that, and that wasn't your initial stance.

>opinions can become more informed as discussion and argumentation progresses.
Besides this being an incredibly pedantic thing to talk about, I'm not some slave to shitposting and come here to learn things as well. And besides, they're clearly following the trend towards minimalism in popular advertising as traditional branding is losing favor with younger generations. Now I know they're doing it with a reference point from earlier in their history. Great, here's your (You) and an upboat.

They look great. I don't like pictures on books desu.

Sometimes minimalist is better.

How could one not?

Holy shit

>the Russian book is red
I'm fucking tired of this meme

These are POCKET Penguin Classics; ordinary Penguin Classics and Modern Classics are not coming to an end (Modern Classics have had a little design tweak). Pocket Classics are smaller and cheaper - for a Classic that would retail at £9.99 the Pocket Classic is £4.99. Each different colour represents a different langauge, too. I have a few, and they're alright - paper is thinner and the book is floppy, but not nastily so. Loads of Futura inside, too.

Cashing in on the minimalism fad.
Good strategy, can sell to retards like OP while avoiding having to pay for cover design.

I have a few of them, they feel kind cheap but they wont fall apart after a few reads. and they're cheap as hell so hey, why not.

They look retarded. I hope I never accidentally buy one on amazon.

It looks like they're chasing the tail of the nyrb aesthetic. I know nyrb isn't exactly a mainstream publisher unlike penguin but still.

they look ok singularly but get a bunch of them together and the place is gonna turn into a kindergarten playroom

It's the paperback equivalent of the B&N leatherbound monstrosities. I love it.

minimalist is not better

who cares? It's just the cover and you know what they say about book covers

Have you never been torn on two books, and bought it based on the cover? Or seen two editions of the same book side by side, and chosen one?

I pick books based on the cover all the time.

The Cossacks/Hadji Murat release from this line is red as well lmao

red for russian; deep blue, french; light blue, czech; orange, english; olive green, german; yellow, spanish; grey, japanese; turquoise, italian; violet, latin; chinese, acid green; pink-purple, yiddish

wtf I love Penguin now

i guarantee a large factor in the decision to switch to this is rainbow bookshelves. old penguin books are all the same solid color, and by changing their solid color from book to book, they can expect some people to pick up one to fill up rainbow gaps in their shelf (there's actually a website right now that sells unpopular books based on their color)

It's flowing that cheap vibe so much that people will look at you with that demeaning look when they see you with them on your shelf, and that alone should be sufficient for you to like them, they'll look down you with pity and you'll gain that swagy all knowing look that you always aspired to. you'll forever know you got one over them! but then as soon as you unpacked your trap, and laid it on your shelf, you'll notice that horrendous swash before the t's on the spine! and you'll know that it will be there for eternity, tormenting you with knowledge of it's existence. you will off-course scratch it out eventually, erase all that is left of that damnable swish, and it will again raise your standing to new height, as you'll parade your new aquisition to your interlocutors, again they'll think you mad, again you'll gain new heights of awareness! but it will still be there, it will be there in your mind, and it will be there for evar! you won't dare remove the collection from your shelf, and you will know that there will come a time when an intellectual peer of your level and sophistication will lay eyes on them. oh, it will surely come! he will know what lay behind that scratched, diluted surface, and he will look at you with such knowing smug that will erase all your essence and leave it smouldering in the pits of despair.