I'm new to reading, what are some books like dark souls

I'm new to reading, what are some books like dark souls

The Iliad - Homer

As if a Dark Souls fan would understand one page of the Iliad.

>coming straight off vidya to reading

I dunno, go to the children's section of your local bookstore and go for your life

Either that or come back in 20 years when you've actually mentally matured into an adult

Dark Souls is unironically more complex than anything from Homer

How so?

The Iliad especially is just capeshit tier. Like saturday morning cartoon capeshit tier

>I missed the point of the illiad: the post

That's not what I asked, I asked how Dark Souls' story is more complex and deep than anything from Homer.

It actually has characters with an extra dimension, you know the third dimension. The mythology in the universe is more nuanced and provocative than a bunch of inbred hillbillies shitposting to each other.
I mean I challange anyone to provide me with readings of the Iliad that are more provocative and touching than Vaatividya's interpretations of Dark Souls.

It's not difficult, but you are pretty stupid to think this.
Complex as in lots of hidden lore. If you are reading for shit like that then you are pretty pleb.
Being complex isn't even a good thing. Sounds like an argument a video game fanboy would make.
>it's so hard to understand that makes it good
I love Dark Souls by the way.

>(you)

I hate scum like you. I just want to CRTL-F for your and then I get happy and then disappointed because pieces of shits like you spam it

Have you read the Iliad?
In High School?

five (you)

Holy shit, this thread has potential. What are /v/ users going to say now? That Dark Souls makes a good argument against theism?

>Like saturday morning cartoon
That's the Odyssey you retard.

Also to actually answer OP: Dictionary of the Khazars, Inferno (specifically Inferno), Mallory, the Bible.

People who use "complex" as a positive term remind me of people who use "mature" as a positive term.

They're the same people who think reading for the plot is an intellectual activity. In other words, normies.

t. simple manchild

He doesn't want any of those, he wants a medieval fantasy book with dark and vague plotlines. Something like Children of Hurin would suit his taste better.

That's pretty much what I recommended you pseud.

>Inferno (specifically Inferno)

They're not similar to Dark Souls at all and they're too complex for a beginner.

Also, the Bible is not a fantasy book.

t. simple child

Wouldn't want him stumbling into Purgatorio and being disappointed at how not-BADASS it was, would we?
None of them are fantasy books.

They're similar to Dark Souls (for example, Dic of Khaz requires the same kind of piecing-together of "lore").

Oh yeah and also they're not "too complicated" for a beginner, that's a dumb thing to think. Nothing's too complicated for a beginner.

>None of them are fantasy books.
Yeah, that's why I said he probably doesn't want any of those.

Being called a child is superior to a manchild, they at least still hold potential

>being a literal genreshitter
You don't have to drag others down to your level, user.

>Nothing's too complicated for a beginner.

lel you need to go meet some beginners man

Nigger we've all BEEN beginners.

The Divine Comedy requires extense knowledge of ancient greek culture and the Bible.
The Bible requires years of studying and rereading if one desires to truly understand it.

>The Divine Comedy requires extense knowledge of ancient greek culture and the Bible.
This is a dumb meme. It only requires this if you're trying to extract every bit of reference from it, and in any case that's what notes are for.
>The Bible requires years of studying and rereading if one desires to truly understand it.
Then he can do that later.

Yeah and I wouldn't have exactly been able to read even Dubliners at that point

Explain yourself.

I "began" as a child, as an adolescent I was reading Orwell, Nietzsche and Dante but I feel like if I was confronted with the writers I enjoy now I would have got very little from them.

So...you think OP is a literal child?

I mean its possible

Seriously speaking OP is just baiting.

Dark Souls' concept of souls, synonymous with fire, representing ambition, and the loss of one's will to live going hand in hand with losing one's mind is actually genius. Seconding OP's request for a book that allegorises psychological concepts the way Dark Souls does.

It's the same kind of stupid allegory that Tolkien hated which was also presented on Lewis' fantasy books.

good thing you didnt source that or discussion might form

he's right though

You gonna elaborate on that?

Go play Bloodborne, then read Lovecraft. That is the only patrician vidya-literature experience.

>the point of the Iliad
That's really not how it works user, most books past high school don't have points.

No it isn't you idiot, there's nothing allegorical in what user described. Those are self contained in-universe relationships that Tolkein was obsessed with

There's a really good site for that, you know, it's called Google.com, you just go there and type 'Tolkien' 'thoughts' and 'allegory'. Not that hard, ay?

Retard...

>Seconding OP's request for a book that allegorises psychological concepts the way Dark Souls does.
You didn't even read his entire post, right?

Retard 2...

Book of the New Sun.

Missing the point, if they allegorize its mere interpretation. As opposed to Lewis who makes it very clear in universe that Aslan is Jesus

Leave this board immediately and come back once you are over the age of 18 or you will be banned.

I'm 20 and I'm pretty sure I know a hell of a lot more about Literature than you.

This is what you are referencing
“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”

And it has nothing to do with Dark Souls. Dark Souls allegorises concepts, Tolkien dislike allegories of events and people. If you're too uneducated to form your own opinion don't think you're qualified to correctly quote others'.

Post your own opinion on the matter of Dark Souls' allegories.
Phrase a sentence that doesn't meta-relate to a post in this thread or someone else's opinion, tell me what you think about without mentioning someone else's thoughts.

It doesn't have to be compelling writing, I won't judge you for being an ESL. Expose your own mind and you win.

Oh wow, was this board ever filled with degenerate Dark Souls shills? So Dark Souls is a deep allegorical philosophy with much more value than Homer's books and other literary classics?

>and other literary classics?
Who are you quoting?

>tfw you you come full circle and realize that the literary tradition's only purpose is to tell a story, and that the existence of post-modernism and Joycian experimental prose only serves to mask the same intent that our ancestors had when they told stories around the campfire

I agree but that's a wholly different thing.

Nothing about Dark Souls' story is genius. Yes, it does have some allegories and tries to make some philosophical reflections, but it's not e en close to being genius nor having the same importance or quality as Homer's books. There's not much more to say about it, unless you care for making a point on how Dark Souls' "philosophy" is genius somehow, because just citing meaningless allegories is not enough to make that point.

Dubious

wow you understand what is "myth" now, next step - jordan peterson

What are some Veeky Forums video games?

Miyazaki said that as a child, he read books he didn't fully understand and thus had to co-create them with his imagination. This ambigious crypticism is the forte of Dark Souls, along with the atmospheric immersement of the experience due to it's visual platform.

Though Dark Souls is clearly inspired by the Greek mythos in several places, it is but a momentarily escape to an unrelatable and foreign world, intricate but without soul, while the themes of Homer and Ovid are eternal, insightful and deeply ingrained in our nature, executed with grace, intensity and didactic subtelty.

Bullshit, how the fuck are the ramblings of some hairy Greek faggots any more representative of us than a creation of someone in our contemporary world with an actual awareness of our understanding of history and the universe.

Something being old as shit doesn't suddenly make it important.

wtf do you think postmodernism is if not a history of history

>eternal

Heh, about that...

Drakengard 3

>Playing vidya makes you automatically a child with no brains
How old are you?

Dark souls does deal with some themes common in literature, and it does do them well, but they are a small part of the entire thing.
Comparing it to the Iliad is possible. You could compare Siegmeyer and his daughters attempts to stop him to Hector and his wife's attempt to stop him. Both men face their death knowingly, doing what they feel like they have to do at the expense of someone they love.
There is a lot of effective presentation in Dark souls throughout, but to compare it's story, and characters to the Iliad is silly, because the characters and story of dark souls are there to provide context and meaning to gameplay. This works best in the fights with Sif and Gwyn, which in different ways make you a participant to a tragedy you were unaware, of until you were forced to participate. This is very effective, but it does not make Gwyn or Sif a better character than anyone in the Iliad, because it's not just a story.
Saying Dark Souls is better than the Iliad is selling both of them short, because to compare them would leave out the soul of both. The Iliad is not a personal journey in the way Dark Souls is, and Dark Souls is not a deep tale of conflicted characters in the way the Iliad is.

>9759193
You're a manchild who doesn't even deserve a (You)

No you faggot that's exactly what makes it great. Homer is better because it's better executed, not because it's conceptually better.

As for Ovid...

Is bayonetta Veeky Forums?

That's the most degenerate and herectic game I've ever seen. I mean, there are some JRPGs that are pretty herectic, but they at least are consistent with their critics on religion/God and some of them just do it for the plot with no critic whatsoever. But that one is just plain disrespect and heresy, it's so fucking wrong in so many levels.

post some examples

>thinking lore is complex
>the background, setting and characters are complex
>my sides

Was shakespeare a plebeian?

Check out a the Goosebumps books.

LOL LMAO SENPAI

I enjoy dark souls and am finishing up the gulag archipelagos, retard

7/10 bait

You should check out this fedora tipping gentleman of the written word

>Shakespeare
>plot
You absolutely have to be fucking kidding me.

I swear to god when I play Darksouls I feel that it is inspired by the Divine Comedy.

It's as if they mashed all three books in one place, especially with the shit about fire (it's natural instinct is to rise) and hollow (basically people in inferno as they are dammed).

Even the the two bells remained me of the two rivers in purgatory, the undead asylum the antechamber and the whole journey similer to Dante's calling.

Plus the fact that they are all dead, you end up talking to allot of (dead) people throughout Loderan (basically the entirety of the comedy is talking to dead people), the idea and importance of figures and legends, the religious connotation of bonfires (which may also remined one of Virgil) and the whole slow journey alluding to the relenting journey in purgatory in order to meet the Lord of Cinder (a figure most similar to a more perverted and pathetic version of God, as he himself is a allusion Zeus - playing on the whole idea of pagans being "lost").

Darkroot garden is basically the "suicides" section of hell.

Dead Souls obviously

Book of the New Sun is the Veeky Forums equivalent to Dark Souls imho.

you deserve this (you); that's well crafted bait there

I don't know why people like you not only let yourselves get baited so easily, but simultaneously reveal your pseudointellectual nature over a fucking video game thread. Like really, this is the thing that pissed you off so much that you decided to announce to the world what a child you are?

Do you think we can draw comparisons to any piece of medium ever? We're not some reference librarian here to recommend a book which is analogous to any videogame or movie ever created.

The Iliad has much more "hidden lore" than Dark Souls desu. Like, can you name every chief in the Iliad and explain their background and how why they fought there? You literally have to study this and pick up clues and theories from other sources. And that's just a minor part of what it can reveal.

I'm gonna be that fag that says: the Elder Edda, Grimms' tales, the Nibelungs song, etc.