twitter.com/nntaleb/status/871061307965001729
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's my dad's favorite author

George R. R. Martin
J R. R. Tolkien
George Orwell
Stephen King

This guy is overrated and reddit seems to love him

Stephen King is the correct answer. He writes for the lowest common denominator and, regardless of how they try to make it seem different, reddit caters to that exact group. It's a bunch of brainlets acting intellectual while simultaneously getting butthurt when anyone says anything legitimately intelligent on there, calling them pretentious.

Mark Twain?

twain
murakami
vonnegut
dfw
pynchon
palahunik

Have you even read Black Swan or Antifragile? Those were two almost revolutionary books in the field of probability.

He is not overrated at all.

John Green.

nietzsche

BEE

Yep I read a bit in the library and it was okay I guess but he is really, really, really overrated
Like seriously, his books are the most overrated books I've ever come across

I'm reading his book breakfast of champions.
It was recommended to me because I'm having a tough time understanding postmodernism

Read At Swim-Two-Birds. You'll understand

lol no they werent

this is your brain on autodidactism kids. pop sci: not even once.

Is Philip K. Dick /reddit/? Christ I hope not.

you're looking for the white collegiate dudebro literary canon which is comprised of, but not limited to: vonnegut, hemingway, palahniuk, ellis, hemingway, and beat poets in general

>"totally the opposite of what Veeky Forums is, considering how we're a bunch of intellectuals trying to raise the academic bar and NEVER cater to the LCD!
Fuck, you're as bad as the MUH SHEEPLE posters who are so un-self-aware they don't realize the only difference between them and those they criticize is which herd they belong to.

Right!? What they oughta be readin is sum Marcus Garvey, an eatin chitlins!

Who the fuck reads a Stephen king novel and thinks it's some intellectual masterpiece

I really like Vonnegut. He's an excellent entry level author that got me interested in reading literature instead of genre fiction.

>Pynchon
Pynch me is Veeky Forums as fuck.

You twist other's statements like you're either a child or a woman. Proud of you.

- Stephen King
- John Green
- Rowling
- David Foster Wallace
- George Martin
- George Orwell
- Tolkien

you said Hemingway twice

is it ok if I read his books just to laugh at how absurdly they're written

I agree with some of the comments here, but I didn't see this guy yet

you need to go back

I'm sorry to say this but you guys need to return to reddit

Other than his abortion stance and idiosyncratic take on Christianity, he is pretty reddit-tier.

Danielewski

Elmore Leonard is a more reddit airport novelist than King.

Interesting. You're right about me being an autodidact. Were his ideas covered in your econ 101 class or something? Perhaps their prevalence could be due to Taleb popularising those ideas? Doubt it though, college degrees use text books the 70s and 80s.

/threaded

i'd like to throw in bukowski. i can't believe i forgot bukowski.

Third Policeman works also. Just finished it one of the funniest books I've read in quite some time

Yeah, 2 of the 17 people who have actually finished one of his books are on there.

HP Lovecraft

John "Cuck King" Green

so basically any author that is popular and has written at least one book that is well-known and accessible is "reddit"
am I understanding this correctly?
ya'll are some edgy fucks

pic

pic

>I let images and popular opinions determine my tastes

We really didn't need this thread. You could have just posted in an existing thread that you don't like Vonnegut.

Not really

Adolf Hitler isn't reddit, for example

OMG NOOO NOT GEORGE ORWELL, HE PROPHESIZED THE ABSOLUTE STATIST HELL WE LIVE NOW!!!

It's not his fault, or a fault of his work, that he is taught in public schools, everyone is acquainted with his novels and they have apparent meanings that are not complex or very original.

Say that to my face faggot.

>read a book to understand a concept you could learn in 10 seconds online

I heard is was a pretentious board, but oh my...

I guess idk what postmodernism is because I haven't read any of the Flann man.

Sound better than the shit I read in poetry threads.

I think I know what you're trying to say here with Vonnegut, but he's fine for a certain kind of person. When you're a sophomore white guy at an engineering school say. Nothing wrong with that time of your life.

And it's no wonder people identify with him. Kurt Vonnegut as a person, not so much his stories, is a desirable character for the well to do. Does that necessarily mean he is a *better* writer compared to anyone else out there, not really. Probably had plenty of equals in his time that went unnoticed.

That said I have a picture of Vonnegut hanging in my apartment, no joke. You could argue that I am as cast under this spell of culture as anyone else. But also I think his stories are funny, particularly Harrison Bergeron.

Not sure if... because you know...

twitter.com/nntaleb/status/871061307965001729

Have you got literal autism? My post meant something in the lines of "this book is nice example of pomo"
Also, Postmoderism isn't such a straightforward concept as you might think - as user clearly indicated having trouble grasping it

I'm only reading cats cradle at the continued recommendation of my dad

This fucker is so ugly. His hair is shit. And I don't mean it in the "he could style it a little better" kind of way. You barely have anything to work with, because it's overall shitty. At least he could trim it at the back, but, you think he didn't think of that? Nah, he wants the aloof motherfucker, druggie look. I'm utterly disgusted at the modern world.

Man you people are jokes