ITT: Things you've eaten that no one else knows exists

ITT: Things you've eaten that no one else knows exists.

These things are called Sour Barge. It is a weapons-grade fruit that you can find growing in bunches on certain trees in the Caribbean.

This seriously must be the most sour naturally occurring fruit on the planet. It's nothing BUT sour. It's so sour that you can't really eat an entire fruit despite it being so small a it's so insanely acidic that eating just half will leave your tongue raw and sore for days.

Good for mixing into drinks though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W3-85vpDKEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah I've had those before.

>
I wonder how this would fare in a whiskey sour

That's a cucumber tree

Babby bitter melon?

It's a very juicy fruit which turns out to be a relative of starfruit. It's like a firm but low density sponge that's filled absolutely full of pure acid. Was just reading that people use the liquid as an effective stain remover. One drop of that on your tongue and you pucker so hard that there's a real danger that your face might collapse into a black hole.

It would be incredibly sour.

youre a sour guy

dirt

uuu

Cajá. I've tried talking about it here before since it's my favorite fruit but absolutely no one ever heard of it. There's two types here mainly, the normal cajá (Spondias Mombin) and the larger cajá-manga (spondias dulcis).

>Things you've eaten that no one else knows exists.

A ripe red delicious apple. I have a red delicious apple tree. Unlike other orchard owners, I actually way until the apples are fully ripe inside before picking them. They are actually very sweet and delicious. They are an older cultivar, so their skin isn't super red and thick. The red delicious apples you get in the store turn red on the outside, but are not ripe on the inside for another month or more, but orchard owners want that mad cash so they pick as early as possible. Thus, you end up with red delicious apples getting a bad rap as being a bit sour with terrible texture.

>posting without describing the flavor

Wish I could try one of your apples. Could you mail one to me, perhaps? I fucking love apples.

red huckleberries, absolutely god tier

did an avocado and a mango fuck?
and if so, sign me up.

Lived in a house with bushes of those and evergreen huckleberries out front when I was a kid. Those are pretty tasty.

they're great to eat with salt. I also use them to remove rust from my clothes

thinly sliced smoked reindeer meat

god tier

'Bitter river chilies.'

They're a type of chili grown where I'm from which are bitter rather than sweet (like a bell pepper) or pungent/piquant (like most chilies). We stir-fry them with garlic and tomatoes either as a side to meat dishes or stuffed into a bun or roll, like a sandwich.

4u

tastes sweet, yet bitter

native to new zealand I think

filled with white pits

what clothes do you wear? chain mail?

I wish i could find these in the States

We call them litshys in germany whats their actual Name?

They are incredibly bland and sweet in a sickly way. Pass for me.

kek'd

ginnip

We have around 50 species of coprosma, but I didn't know any produced edible fruit!

Not entirely unknown, but only eaten in certain parts of the world. Super popular where I live in New Zealand - but relatively unknown in other parts of the world. My absolute favourite fruit.

lmao truuuuuuuu

Called Otaheite gooseberry, Cereme berry, Malay gooseberry, Tahitian gooseberry, Country gooseberry, Star gooseberry, Starberry, West India gooseberry.
Sour motherfuckers, got three small trees on my garden. Pretty small white flowers, it always attract bees. Weird tree, has red leaves and green mixed in all year long. Some of the plants that makes me happy seeing it.

Snake fruit is the best fruit
Taste like apples texture but distinct fragrance and smell

Damn those look funky. I would love to try them. I can already tell they would be great to make mixed drinks with.

Oshit, I had those on a visit to St. Johns. Ripe ones were incredibly sweet. Customs actually allow you to bring them back into the states, just not any seeds for environmental reasons.

Just realized I have four trees. It is a good garden tree.
Yeah, and the red ripe ones looks pretty as fuck and solid like little tomatoes.
On the season lot of yellow and oranges ones strawn off the soil and eaten by little critters.
Haven't tried to make drinks out of it though.

>fragrance and smell

Okay, fragrance and taste

I like how you acknowledged that german isn't actually a real language

Spanish lime

Thimbleberries

I've only seen them in the UP of Michigan, but they grow in Canada and parts of the western USA as well.

They're like a sweeter raspberry with a tart aftertaste. It takes a while to collect even a few. There is this Jesuit bakery in the Keweenaw Peninsula that sells thimbleberry jam at like $20 a small jar.

Oh man ginneps. You can buy those from the street vendors roaming around in Jamaica. Too bad those things are like 98% pit though. It's also impossible to get the meat off of the pit but those two seconds of flavor are really good.

Believe you're thinking of lychee. That's something different.

I just moved to NZ, do you just eat the whole lot, minus the skin?

they're a shit apple bred solely for long term storage and are never good.

yeah you eat it like a kiwifruit, cut in half and scoup out the inside - jelly and white bits, with a spoon

Cucumber tree you're full of shit m8

I think they're called paw paw. Tastes like an ananas and a banana fucked.

sounds deliciious

Galip nuts, OP, galip nuts.

There’s probably less than 100,000 white people alive that have eaten them.

They’re pretty tasty.

Jon Townsend did a video on those.
youtube.com/watch?v=W3-85vpDKEI

There was an Australian winery making feijoa wine back in the noughties. Very tasty.

>tastes like x but distinct fragrance and taste

When I was in Panama I ate a weird skinny long fruit that resembled a banana but had seeds shaped like large Lima beans.
I'll use my googlefu and see if I can find it
(It's not the mimosa tree but looks similar)

Found it! Panamanian guaba
It's a fluffy tasting sweetish fruit, it stood out to me cause the seeds can be given to little girls to wear as "earrings"

Forgot picture

>Tastes like an anus and a banana fucked.
That's some palate you have there.

In Brazil we call it Inga, it used to grown at my Grandpa's farm, really tasty!

this
I'd never heard of these but I went to Botswana recently and tried some there. Truly a god tier fruit

>Sour Barge
Where do you buy this? Can this be found to buy anywhere in America?

Lanzones
Shit was the best fucking fruit I’ve ever tasted, really wish I could find them in the States. They’re so deliciously sweet, like grapes and grapefruit combined. I’d pay a small fortune to get some now.

There’s a festival for these a few hours south of where I live, always have wanted to go and try them.

We have a few trees full of these guys every summer. They’re pretty cool, but don’t taste great. You can just lay out a tarp and shake the tree and wind up with pounds of them. They taste almost nothing like blackberries and look super cool when still unripe. Taste can be bitter if the shitty invasive variety, to fairly sweet but slightly off with the native ones.

I doubt you'd ever find it in a market unless you lived somewhere with a big Jamaican population (if such a thing even exists). I can't imagine it would be hard to mail-order some though.

My uncle had a tree of these on his property. We never knew what they were so we just called them huckleberries and my cousin assumed they were poisonous because his parents raised him to be paranoid.

They taste best before they're ripe IMO.

these little fuckers are extremely strange tasting. I think they're also slightly toxic

Do you happen to leave near NC, that’s where my family lives and the little guys are native here. But for whatever reason I’ve never encountered them save for smaller saplings and the single tree my family owns.

Are those mulberries? My dad who’s from the Anatolian region talked about eating them all the time as a kid. What do they taste like, and where do they grow?

Candy from my secret stash
I'm not supposed to eat any candy because of the diabetes so I have to keep it a secret

I once had this tiny banana, must have been the size of an Asian dick and it was filled with round black seeds to the point that there was hardly any banana inside
Best banana I ever had, I had it in Brazil, I have no idea what it's called

Not me burger. I only quote that from westerners that tried to describe the taste

This is too sweet

Medlars. They're picked green then left to sit until the insides turn brown and mushy. Then you either bite the tip off and suck on it, or carefully peel the skin like an unsatisfying Hershey's Kiss.