Can you recommend me some French literature? Hard mode: can't be existentialist, conceptual bullshit...

Can you recommend me some French literature? Hard mode: can't be existentialist, conceptual bullshit, set in the 19th century/early 20th, or a social commentary on capitalism.

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/fiction/french.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Arthurian tales. Chretien de Troyes.

Now go be a pseud somewhere else.

Francois Villon

Le Rouge et le Noir by Stendahl
Molière's plays (Le Misanthrope and Le Tartuffe especially)
A Rebours by Huysmans

Ad Vitam Aeternam - Thierry Jonquet

Stendhal, Flaubert, Zola, Balzac, Racine, Froissart, Rabelais and Robbe-Grillet.

Paul Claudel and George Bernanos

the princess of cleves

Montaigne

The Wild Ass's Skin

>all these people offering lit set in the 19th century
it's almost like you guys can't fucking read.

My boy Arthur Rimbaud

I know, I doubt they've even read the books in question, let alone in French.

Marie de France, ma8. Bisclavret gets me every-fuckin'-time.

What else? Baculard d'Arnaud's proto-Gothic tales; Senancour's Obermann; Rabelais; Cyrano de Bergerac's proto-sci-fi alchemical extravaganza; Honoré d'Urfé's L'Astrée,

Just what kind of lit. are we talking about here, OP?
I read tons of historic material from the 17-18th centuries, hermetic stuff, alchemy, astrology, as well as correspondence, poetry and fiction. You could just do an all-in-one and read Nostradamus...

Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Claude Levi Strauss, Virginie Despentes, Maurice G. Dantec, Jean Genet, Michel Tournier

He said hard mode.

Flaubert's Salambo or The temptation of st. anthony are not set in the 19th century. not sure what conceptual bullshit is so i'm not sure if it passes that criteria

Paul Christian
The History and Practice of Magic

molière

A man after my own heart. But that's still 19th century. Pity his "Little Red Man of the Tuileries" hasn't been translated for the anglophone monoglots, that's a great laugh entirely.

Literally anything that is not what I have listed. You've already given me plenty of great suggestions

scaruffi.com/fiction/french.html

Prose : Chamfort, Saint-Simon, Bossuet, l'abbé Prévost, Michon

Poetry : Rutebeuf, Marot, d'Aubignée, Malherbe, Corneille, Chénier etc.

>Senancour's Obermann
Very good indeed

Maistre Wace
Guillaume de Rubrouck
Honoré d'Urfé
Jean Rotrou
Pascal
André Chénier
Joseph Arthur de Gobineau
Ernest Psichari
Maurice Barrès
Charles Ferdinand Ramuz

Merci

19th century france is undeniably the greatest setting for a book, followed by pre revolution russia

René Guenon: La Crise du Monde Moderne

DUMAS YOU FUCKING INGRATES.

I know I'm not that smart user but calling me a dumbass is going to far desu