Dad always raved about Moby-Dick being one of the greatest literary works of all time

>dad always raved about Moby-Dick being one of the greatest literary works of all time
>put off reading it because I was worried I wouldn't be as excited over it
>he's now dying in the hospital
>start reading it to him on his deathbed
>it's fucking incredible
>I might have missed the chance to discuss my father's favorite book with him
Why the fuck did I put this off for so long?

>Americans

Kill yourselves, please.

Don't feel too bad about it.
Be glad you get to experience it the way you do now. Sound like a powerful experience.

>third-world euronigger dirt peasants literally cannot stop thinking about america

Because we all think of time as immaterial.

You always had more time to read it.

Until you didn't.

This is one of the saddest things I read on this site, over than someone's cat being ran over.

>>I might have missed the chance to discuss my father's favorite book with him

Your chance is right now dude, get reading

>Chapter 69: The Funeral
>Chapter 70: The Sphynx
These chapters rival Joyce's The Dead imo.

>Be Britshit Limey
>father gets sick
>Goes to NHS underfunded hospital
>Stuck on a cart in the hallway so can't watch nu-Topgear
>Asks you to read him a book by his favourite author, Robert Harris
>Its really bad but you try to read it over the loud bustle
>Muslim prayer calls start, can only look at your fathers sad eyes during the blaring screams
>You try to pretend you respect what his life was but he can see the shame in your eyes
>He dies alone as you're swept away with the crowd heading to the Mosque

How old are you?

He's not actually "there." He's unconscious. The doctors say if there's anything left in there, he can hear us, so I've been reading his old annotated copy to him.

24. I didn't get to read a lot of classics in college because my professors were mostly muh culture pseuds.

Sounds like me and my dad. He loved jazz, put it off my entire life, he died in my mid 20's, I give some of his favorite artists a try, low and behold now I almost exclusively only listen to jazz. Once you hear the dissonant beauty of complex extended chords you can't go back to triad based pop music.

>He's not actually "there." He's unconscious. The doctors say if there's anything left in there, he can hear us, so I've been reading his old annotated copy to him.

Way better than nothing man. Just need to do your work and have faith in the act.

Come on, there's no way Sound and Vision doesn't still wet your whistle.

Geez, user. Father/Son relations are whack even when you've got a great dad. Reading it now almost seems optimal. Count your blessings and don't beat yourself up. My dad's fave is Jack London, which I find hard to understand.

Stay strong user, I've got 60 pages left in this book and its a great book.

May I ask what is wrong with your father? My father died of a horrible degenerative and terminal disease called ALS when I was 22. He was brilliant and I regret not learning all I could from him.

It's going to be a shock when he died, even if you know it's coming. I thought it wouldn't hit me hard because the doctor's said he was about to die, but the pain was still unbelievable.

I'm still not religious, but Plato and The Old Testament really helped me get through that time.

I'm far from done with the book, but does anyone have any decent quotes from it that might commemorate his passing? He loved telling me that I should watch out for the white whale, and it seems we're pulling the plug tomorrow.

He had a heart attack. He didn't get air for five minutes, and he's already very old. They miraculously got his heart to start beating on its own, but now that we've resuscitated him, it's starting to seem that nothing is left of him. He's just a breathing body kept alive by machines.

I'm sorry user, you got a rough deal there.

this makes me sad.

Do you have anything to recommend?
An "into jazz" playlist or anything?
Sometimes I'll try to get into it but with no frame of reference for the art work I feel like I'm floundering around and don't know where to head. If anything I just listen to Bitches Brew.

Good luck OP. Sorry about your dad.

It'll get better, guys. But I'm glad I could post about it. It's a kick in the dick since he told me two weeks ago that it'd be great if I read it before he died.

I might be poor as shit for a while, but I've got my dad's book, and I'm going to read the shit out of this crazy fuck's journeys with Queequeg.

Thanks for reading my blog

I prefer the sci fi adaptation.

Jack London's best stuff is pretty damn good. Both his fiction and his non-fiction.

Depends how you want to go with it, but there's some good stuff at the end where Ahab is confronting mortality and is more or less like "I'm cool with dying so long as this is how it goes." Might be a little edgy and irreverent. Ahab's kind of an edgy guy.

Thanks! I will listen to this tomorrow, much appreciated.

Get the fuck off our website.

>our website
>"our"

Meet your new overlords, Cody

I'm sure he's enjoying his last moments in this world, listening to his son read endless descriptions of whale fat and the customs of cannibal niggers

My dad read Call of the Wild and Whitefang to me over and over again when I was a kid. When we got an Alsatian puppy he told me I could name him but after I said his name was Shep my dad promptly re-named him Buck. Believe me, my dad's great, but I've shied away from London ever since.
Recently, however, I picked up a copy of John Barleycorn at a book fair. I just kind of look at it. Good place to begin?

I'm sorry user, I'm sure if he's still aware that sharing a book with his son is the greatest gift he's ever received.

link to pic-related?