Am I killing myself?

I don't know much about microwaves, so I'm just checking here to make sure that I know what they do. They just warm the food up, right? Like, if the food's already been cooked and has been put in the fridge, microwaving it won't do anything to make it safe to eat (e.g. killing bacteria), it'll just make it warmer and therefore nicer to eat, right?

Long story short, I'm asking because I've recently been tipping my pasta into a saucer of warm pasta source and just warming up the pasta that way. I'm just worried in case the usual method of microwave cooking actually has some medical benefit. In theory, would I be totally fine to just eat my pasta cold?

Youll be fine

You're all good dude

You're killing your father, Larry

always reheat stuff before eating. the method doesn't matter, just heat it through.

Quick rundown how microwaves work:
Magnetron generates EM waves at 2.4 GHz (same frequency as older wi-fi) which are funneled into the food compartment where they bounce around creating standing wave.
This frequency matches water molecule's resonance frequency which causes them to vibrate which is basically what heat is.
To say in less technical way:
Magnetron: [screams in physics]
Water in your food: "Oh shit man, better jiggle!"
Bada bing bada boom hot pasta

>Magnetron
lost me there

I'm not making this name up, that's what it's called.

>no speed holes
dropped

my CPU runs at 4.5 GHz, can I microwave pasta with it?

Am I the only one who still calls it a "nuker"?

OC it to 4.8 and it potentially could, but with 50% losses.
If only the number refferd to microwave's frequency.

No actually microwaves are the leading cause of mesothelioma

>always reheat stuff before eating
Why?

>using your microwave to re heat shit
Just pop those noodles into a pan, homie.

I imagine you as a bald 45-year-old, large beer belly, wifebeater, and a cold one permanently in hand.

Carl minus the charm.

Because eating cold food sucks

Microwaves were first invented by a scientist that was working in low-frequency radio communication. In his experiments, he noticed that the chocolate bar in his pocket had melted. He discovered, you can warm food up, using low-frequency radio waves! That's all there is to it. He didn't die from cancer or anything, he had a chocolate candy bar melt in his pocket. They're a useful appliance for heating up soup or boiling water or whatever.

>microwaves are low frequency
Retard.

potato salad, bro!

>low frequency "radio"
2.4 GHz is low for radio wave frequency, you fucking mong

>useful for boiling water
Because apparently stoves are too much to handle for spergs

>Magnetron: [screams in physics]
>Water in your food: "Oh shit man, better jiggle!"

kek

Just like any cooking method, if you heat food enough it'll kill the microorganisms.

The trouble is that microwaves don't heat solid food evenly so it's generally not safe to use them to cook raw chicken, for instance.

Cooked pasta isn't likely to harbour bacteria anyway, and unless you've left your sauce opened on the counter for days on end it will almost certainly be safe as well, even cold.

>2.4 GHz is low for radio wave frequency, you fucking mong
2.4 GHz is UHF; LF is 30-300 kHz, jackass.

Avoid microwave ovens. A punishment for being in a hurry.

Best explanation in laymans terms ive ever heard., great post user.

So it's purely a pleasure thing and not a medical thing?

core temp of food must be over 75c to kill bacteria. just make sure you only reheat food once after it's first cooked cooking. any more than that and you're just asking for food poisoning

>They just warm the food up, right?
Yes.
Though heating food also kills bacteria, assuming you get it quite hot and not just "warm".

It's fuckin spaghetti. You could eat it raw if you wanted to