Tfw fell for the STEM meme

>tfw fell for the STEM meme
I’m two years into a mechanical engineering degree and I’ve slowly realised that I fucking hate it. Should I switch to degrees or just tough it out, get a well-paying job and read in my spare time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thought you were going into science, laddie?

Thought you were gonna be a young Elon Musk, hmph?

Thought you were gonna design your own aeroplanes n sheeiit, negro?

Now you're struggling to even graduate, and if you're lucky you'll be able to work the rest of your miserable existence in some low-tier engineering firm.

Suicide by 32, me reckons.

May you find brief solace in the works of literary giants, people who actually have souls, you rabid little STEMslave. Enjoy working for a college dropout, you ThermoDynamicCUNT!!!!!

There is no spare time.

What should I do?

10/10

>What should I do?

Use your skills to build giant wings like Vulture in Spiderman Homecoming.

well, the good news is that a career in engineering is nothing like engineering school. its far easier but far more boring and pointless.

imo if i was in your shoes id switch to english, do study abroad, and experiment with psychadellics. maybe find a cute girl to fall in love with. work on a novel, go running every day, and figure out what you want out of life.

Engineering sucks. Maths or physics are the only intellectually worthwhile degrees

Just deal with it. You are not here forever. Changing to something else would be waste of time. Do you want to graduate in your 40s? Find another hobby.

yeah on second thought maybe not the psychadellics. and don't do anything stupid like drop out.

yeah, of course moron.

Don't do STEM. By the time you graduate, your job will be swallowed up by the H1-B mulattoe/Orient underclass; Chinese and Indian children that outperformed you in much more rigorous academic environments and will gladly work for half your expected pay.

Even if you do find a job after months of grovelling for work from Zuckerberg and his team of Chad and Stacy HR reps, do you really want to spend the rest of your life miserably dicking around in AutoCAD to afford half of a one bedroom in SoMa and monthly Soylent rations?

Life is a God-given privilege (or Allah, Vishnu, YHWH, NASDAQ, the government that persuaded your mother to birth you for tax benefits - whatever you want to credit for your existence), don't waste it spinning the metaphorical hamster wheel in some pitiful cubicle to trade your happiness, satisfaction, and dignity for a few bucks. Make sure you die fulfilled someday, whatever that means. Switch to Philo or English, take DMT, fuck French women, study Eastern mysticism, drive 130 mph on local roads at 2 AM at night. Whatever you do, don't get a fucking engineering degree.

I was a short time ago in the same position as you (but CS instead) and switched degrees. Not before i tried to kill myself i tell you that. Though i already knew that if a kept sutdyng CS i'd kill myself anyways.
Follow your dreams big boy

Why didn't you like CS? I've been hoping to persue a CS degree

When i started engineering course, i was aware of all this. My uncle was an engineer, he told me everything i should've known about it.
Luckily, i've made some good friends in the uni and managed to pull myself into a relatively good engineering firm.

There is. However, your time schedule has to be short and well calculated.
That's kind of incorrect.
If you take a leadership position in engineering, (which you should btw, doing MBA is mandatory) you won't have to be a firm drone.

I think you're kind of a frustrated graduated in engineering.

If they outperform locals in lucrative careers they are no longer the underclass, you dingus.

Finish it and pursue another degree you want to do.

If you're only like 20-22 you have plenty of time.

Hahaha you're a massive faggot young man

im not even graduated; just a pure math undergrad. Just sick of seeing engineers brag about how miserable they are & I like LARPing. DMT is the shit though

disgusting scientism; "greater contribution to big tech companies' bottom lines == greater value in society" neoliberal nonsense; kys immediately

Basically, i was a very stupid kid addicted to videogames and the internet, so i thought CS was my only option for me as a degree. I was also going to the best College in the country and that means big money, so i was also motivated by that.
After the initial excitement wore off, i realized that i was very incompetent for the career (i'm not even good at math), became very depressed and had no motivation to study, so i ultimately failed and had to drop out and change careers. After dropping, i tried to kill myself a couple of times, but failed too, obviously. I'm good now, but i still have ocassionally a depressive episode.

The moral here is to choose your degree wisely. If you want to study CS, do it, but you must be prepared for it and have real motivation. After all, CS is a very tough career

You are absolutely correct, tough it out, get paid, read in your spare time. You'll gain nothing by switching degrees or dropping out, only more misery.

They're miserable because they haven't gotten prepared to it.
They just want easy monies$$$ and that's it.
no wonder 75% of my class had failed calculus I

Brain stops improving at 25. 22 is way too late

You measure colleges by how much money do you need to put in them?

I meant that i was going to made a lot of money ater i graduated from that college. The school itself is free.

What do all you English and Philosophy majors do for work that's so outside of wage cuckage?

Don't fall for the Veeky Forums memes. I'ts a trap. You think it's hard and want an easy way out. Finish your degree.

What degree(s) should I pursue for a career in politics?

It is not about what you love, it is about what you wish for your life, if you would like to enjoy a career that can see you having work that ensures prosperity then you will persevere.

>After all, CS is a very tough career
Cute

yeah they might be working at starbucks while Mr. Shekelstein increases the interest on their student loans, but user, they did what they LOVED! They have a SOUL!

That makes them better for human civilization than someone who's actually employable because...because!

You don't need a degree to get into politics. What you need is to become a member of a political party, and start networking.

>They have a SOUL!
They don't have anything but self worth and self pity.

Good post.

I am actually wondering this also.

What do I do with my philo major other than find a random career I like that isnt in the sciences?

Nothing. You just wasted a lot of money on an expensive book club.

teach English and philosophy

>better for human civilization
>actually employable
The goy is good in this one.

This is exactly my life. All that's left is to figure out a career.

It has nothing to do with scientism. If your group holds a dominant position in a lucrative sector of the economy there's no way you can be considered an underclass.
You can call it by whatever name strikes your fancy but money determines your social class in our world.

Thank you I work hard to understand the plight of the bugmanni

>people still falling for the career meme
>he still hasn't realized that he should be avoiding wagecuckery at all costs even ones with a veneer of prestige

This. Quit my job last year ($90k/year, and on track to make $120k/year) and haven't looked back. The NEETs were right all along. I always thought they were making excuses for their anxiety disorders, and maybe some were, but goddammit they were still right. If you're employed but not a CEO or a business owner then you're little more than a slave.

How do you pay rent and eat? This is the only thing holding me back

Well, if he was making that much he probably has some savings/investments

I have a daddy who cares for me. It's an acceptable trade off

>not the psychadelics

but that was the only good part, user

To make that much you usually have to live in a expressive city. I make close to that and barley have anything to save since rent food and everything else is so expensive where I have to live.
I could live for maybe half a year on what I have saved.

Preach. Finished my degree in engineering. Couldnt be more satisfied

>live in a expressive city
>barley have anything

you're retarded user, nothing you do is ever going to work

What are you majoring in now Mr. Kys?

Living frugally off of savings for now but I haven't devised a sustainable plan for the future yet. The uncertainty of my situation can be frightening but it's also exciting. Give us a basic income already!

That's just his unconscious regret that he chose the path of wagecuckery

He live in a dull and drab city that has no soul or expressionism and he pays a premium to live there making his supposedly lucrative income worthless

Not he even his expensive food he tries to comfort himself gives him any satisfaction, thus he feels he even has common grain that even the lowest of the low can afford

Take this as a warning to not follow his example

I'm from an expensive city too but found cheaper lodgings once I quit my job. I had also been planning on quitting for a year and during that year made sure to only spend money on what was absolutely essential.

>Thought you were gonna design your own aeroplanes n sheeiit, negro?

lost

OP, just get a well-paying job and read in your spare time. I'm a history major and I can't tell you how many times I've regretted not getting into STEM.

thats why you always go for Medicine for STEM
>life affirming career
>Job security 99%
>$$$
>respect

ya theres lots of years of schooling and lotta B.S. as far as insurance, hospital admin, and changes to obamacare...but it beats speading years clawing your way up soul-crushing corporate ladder even in engineering fields..

You have to actually work hard and be smart to get an MD though..

Life isn't a theme park ride full of pleasurable, zero-effort activities, fucknugget.

Were you raised by a single mom?

What would Veeky Forums consider a good salary?

Who said that

>wanted to do physics in uni
>piece of shit uni i'm going to doesn't have a physics program
now im stuck doing pajeet science

>a university without a physics program
wtf? Which school?

Try to get into law school, so that you can feel worse and emptier.

>running everyday

confirmed for DYEL with torn up joints

I don't know, I hear working around the sick and dying all day everyday can get pretty depressing.
Could be hard on the conscience if one of your patients dies too.

Psychology. I chose it notbecause i want to "fix myself" like some people do, but because is the only one i'm very interested in.

>Allah, Vishnu, YHWH, NASDAQ
I plagiarize from Peep Show all the time, but the sentiment you're expressing is pretty basic

Doctors develop a healthy, respectful relationship with death...

Don't wanna end up like Kalanithi

The grass is greener.

aka

>don't work hard enough and instead of fixing that, dream of starting over

worthless

Fuck basic income. The beauty of NEETdom is that you actually have to work harder than the wagecucks to do it sustainably. The minute I can live this life comfortably I'm done. That comfort was exactly what I hated about work life.

stop falling for the gym/sport nutrition-industrial complex. human beings were meant to run. if you can't run anymore, then walk. it means your days of heavy fitness are behind you. accept it and move on, like the elder hunters did before in our great tribes that spanned the length of the plateaus of our innermost desire.

Alongside Galactic melt, this is probably one of the finest of vaporwave
fucking love Glawio and Colorvision

he was fucking brilliant....unlike you brainlet

Is this a meme?

I'm doing botany, so no cubicle for me.

Can you brew me an ale?

I can grow plants. My focus is in medicinal plants.

It depends on where you live.
If you make 80k and live in a small widwestern town then you're a rich man. If you make 80k and live in San Francisco then you're homeless.

I left a mechanical engineering degree two and a half years in and am now an electrician, I consider it the single greatest decision I've made in my life
Don't be afraid to leave something early if it's making you miserable, you're presumably still young and have plenty of time to start something else anew

any insight into doing a trade for a living?

I can't speak for the other posters but I originally started off in a program for EECS (elec. eng + comp sci) and I quickly realized how much I hated any part of computer science that wasn't related to math/modal logic and unfortunately in many schools in the US computer science = coding boot camp.

I ended up switching into a double major of math and philosophy and I'm a lot happier for it. Working on complex analysis research rn and it's definitely interesting.

How weak willed are you. Do you really think getting an engineering degree preludes you from all the romantic vignettes you just provided? I don't see why you ought not get a degree in engineering (accounting, etc. (Something likely to garner you a comfortable financial life)) and then indulge in these charming, blithe whims.

I got a job I really like as an engineer and read all the time, drink with my friends, travel for climbing trips, etc. If I had studied some bullshit LA degree I probably wouldn't have access to this lifestyle

Depends
Like what said, you don't really need a degree to get into politics. Political careers involve skillful media usage (hope you like being a partisan asshole!), networking or tons of thankless volunteer work doorknocking.

Going to uni will help you network, and going into law is a massive boost since a lot of connections can be found in law schools. Polisci is a meme degree

Also have a reason to care about getting into politics. Viewing it as a career rather than as an opportunity to serve your country or make a difference will burn you out and make you cynical as fuck. There's a reason why Plato warns against making politics a career

You dumb son of a bitch. Srsly. Transfer your credits to something you enjoy. Or just go to a nonaccredited school. Yeah, you wont have as much money but you wont have to deal with student loans on that end anyway

St. Edward's University in Austin
This was pretty much the best school that was both willing to accept me and give me money. Everyone else just waitlisted me or accepted me with 0 money.

>>Job security 99%
No such thing. The bots are going to annihilate so many jobs, it's going to be great. The world burning will be a spectacle.

You will be paid well for wasting your life and working for the machine

>he thinks comp sci is the only STEM field

personally i think programming is fun, so getting paid is just a bonus

Mine as well tripfag

They won't get to everything. When self driving cars/trucks debut it'll put, what, three million americans out of work? Mostly from areas that don't have shit going for them anyway from people who have no specialization to increase their personal capital. It'll be a shit show as soon as that happens.

On the off chance you check back, I've had a few different jobs and a trade is definitely the best
Good hours, can make anywhere from a decent living to shitloads of money if you have a good business, you're active all day, you learn great practical skills, relaxed job environment, feel like you're doing something productive
Downside is sometimes the jobs are just hard and dirty, also you have to deal with some idiots whether it's the owners, architects, other tradesmen etc

CS is a hard degree if you're not decent with math and haven't an innate ability/desire to program/tinker with logic. Otherwise it's really quite an easy ride compared to mathematics or whatever. CS as a career might be the easiest if you can get the degree, you are literally just gonna be doing programming and shit for a while and can make decent dollar for sitting doing something so entertaining and easy. You can also telecommute often.

A hard career would be something like law or medicine

I'm a mathematician and have done work in modal logic and number theory, yet nothing in my entire life has made me want to kill myself more than programming. It's the most monotonous, uninspired, and overall soul-sucking thing I've ever done. I swear to god it drained my life force having to do programming alongside autistic comp-sci majors because, unlike autistic mathematicians or philosophers, they usually lack any talent besides pretending that their social ineptitude is an asset.

>programming made me want to kill myself

maybe you're just not as smart as u think u are, programming is easy, but u can't memorize your way through it, you actually have to think, which may be were u failed

Of course programming is easy, which is why it's such a monotonous thing to do. If I can handle work with complex analysis and epistemic logic I can handle the little thinking necessary to program.

Also you literally do memorize your way through programming - hence the syntactical changes of languages.

>be me
>graduated after 6 years of working and saving with a B.S in CS
>realized I hated the coursework, thought programming was a chore and only went for it because my normie dad encouraged me and thought I wanted to 'work with computers'
>wasted my junior/senior year shitposting on Veeky Forums and watching the election instead of looking for a job
>now working dead end graveyard shift data entry because I'm an autist and have nothing on my Github, I've already forgotten the coursework too
I just listen to philosophy podcasts and audiobooks for 8 hrs, it's comfy but I'm scared of the future

youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE

pretty cozy life, thinking of dropping what im doing right now and just getting a menial 9-5 minimum wage job and listening to audiobooks/podcasts all day, renting a little studio apartment
why bother working your ass off for a 30 year mortgage on a big house i don't need when i just sit on my computer chair all day

ITT: Last Men justifying their choice of an easy, effortless life.