Can Rorty's ironist vocabulary be effectively redirected to conservative purposes?

Can Rorty's ironist vocabulary be effectively redirected to conservative purposes?

The chunk of Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity concerning liberalism is without a doubt the weakest part. Rorty would be one of the great thinkers if his work was purged and appropriated for conservative politics.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8vHEgbCR4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think so, and I would cite the last few years as the idea in practice.

Tell me more. I'm interested in the use of appropriation as applied to evolution in right wing politics and philosophy as it is presently occurs.

Can you elaborate user? Conservatism is on the rise - thank God - but there seems to be a widespread false certainty about our core beliefs on the right with little recognition of contingency or room for doubt.

So what would you suggest as an exit plan I guess?

Yes it can OP.

>Conservatism is on the rise - thank God
Populism is on the rise. Burke would recoil in horror at the Republican Party's hard on for free trade, massive deficits, tribal politics and a lobotimized judiciary

>Populism is on the rise.

Yes indeed. I miss actual intelligent cultural conservatives. Am myself economically VERY left wing, but I have a lot of respect for the actually intelligent cultural right. Unfortunately reflection seems to be almost extinct on the right wing of today.

The conservative stance demands a cynical attitude that is orthogonal to the ironist, the kynic. Cynicism places one above the common fold, while irony equalizes absolutely.

But honestly that can be said for the left wing as well. I don't even need to mention the liberal centrist pieces of filth.

It is another episode of lefty/pol/ hijacks a thread about the right and for the right.

>public Tibetan loom weaving forum
>privacy from people holding different opinions
Pick one and only one.

Why would you want to do that? Are you rich?

I’m actually only aware of the idea through a secondary source on postmodernism in general but from what I’ve read, Rorty’s irony is an attempt at autonomy in the relativist, pluralist condition of postmodernity. Employed often as a shorthand for postmodern critique, it is a reluctance to take one’s own beliefs and preferences seriously in a seemingly ‘constructed’ world, due to the uncertainty of knowing whether another’s opposing beliefs are just as well-founded. What we know as ‘postmodern critique’ is based on the ‘reality’ seen by Marx, Freud, et al., but some of the issues should still seem familiar: lack of history in the ‘perpetual presence’ of conflicting interpretations jockeying for an otherwise unchanging institutional power; a distrust of politics, news, justice and consumer culture due to an awareness of image- and event-manipulation; genuine social relationships supplanted by technology, commodities and images. To the ‘reality’ seen by the right, postmodern critique and the ruling superstructure are seen as one in the same. As a result, the mechanics of irony produce some very interesting effects in the service of the right wing. Conservative irony, it seems, becomes an escape from the ‘final vocabulary’ of relativism and pluralism itself. Dispense with these liberal ideas and you open up whole new fields of postmodern criticism.

Bingo.

Beautiful.

>to the ‘reality’ seen by the right, postmodern critique and the ruling superstructure are seen as one in the same. As a result, the mechanics of irony produce some very interesting effects in the service of the right wing. conservative irony, it seems, becomes an escape from the ‘final vocabulary’ of relativism and pluralism itself. dispense with these liberal ideas and you open up whole new fields of postmodern criticism.

hells yes this

>orthogonal to the ironist
weird ass word choice. what did he mean by this?

Nonsensical horseshit. You're not fooling anyone.

Stay buttblasted, leftoid.

So relativism and pluralism...

Nope, you go THROUGH relativism and pluralism.

Russian Readers Of Rorty Make Conservative Turn
youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8vHEgbCR4

Looks like someone doesn't want to be reminded of the abyss.
But don't worry, theres still an universality, that of strive and struggle.

What secondary source did you get this from and what else to you recommend reading?

Christopher Butler, Postmodernism -- A Very Short Introduction. Everything else I've just kind of picked up along the way, but this book has some recommended reading at the back. I got a .pdf of it online from somewhere after a Google search.

Leaving aside the Pomo, Botwinick's monograph Michael Oakeshott's Skepticism provides an interesting reading of his work in the context of apophatic theology suggesting that he succeeds in turning sceptical doubt back on itself to transcend through faith

nice.

lol but why would you want to

isn't he already old white and male enough

fooling a lot of people around here

"a secondary source" is ironic for "youtube video"

Kino.

ah, monsieur, unfortunately Rorty is a confirmed jew and homosexual

Fake news.

Interesting

bump

you are fake news

Citation needed.