What criteria must be met in order for a sandwich to be considered a "true" Philly cheese steak?

What criteria must be met in order for a sandwich to be considered a "true" Philly cheese steak?

There's no such thing as a true philly. Anything you present half of philly will tell you "no no no, you gotta do THIS for a REAL philly!"

Who the fuck cares about true if it tastes good?

>wiz instead of provi

>not both
Lol

A "Philly" cheese steak is a tourism meme and most of them are average at best. Yellow cheese is a red flag. So are tiny, sad buns with barely any cheese or steak.

Grilled onions and bell peppers, shredded steak, some form of white easy to melt cheese.
Other than that it's up to the individual's taste, but I can say that if you try and get LTO on a cheese steak you'll get some weird looks.

Philadelphia is an awful place full of shitty people. No one should ever aspire to be like them.

>provolone instead of swiss

reminder that while not classic, banana peppers are way the fuck better than bell peppers in any cheesesteak application

1. Meat must not be identifiable by taste or texture.
2. "Cheese" sauce must be neon orange, nauseatingly sour.
3. Onions must be completely devoid of flavor.
4. Must be prepared by someone with a sub-80 IQ.
5. Must be consumed by a board certified faggot.

If a "true" philly cheesesteak is made with cheese whiz, then I'll stick with my provolone pretender.

Wiz with

Where does one get that certification?
Asking for a friend

I actually like them with both, what I posted was merely the bare minimum of what you put in the roll in order to call it a "cheese steak".

no mention of fuckin mushrooms so far? nature's grease sponge

no one here refers to a cheesesteak as a "philly"

A flat top grill. Meat. Sliced thin-ribbon or chopped. Maybe some kind of fat, be it cheese, butter, or mayo. Maybe some kind of ribboned or sliced vegetables. A roll. A consensus that it's tasty, but somebody probably says it's "not a real philly".

Ive been all around and I have to say the ones I had I philly were the worst
I went to all your meme joints
seriously the mexican restaurant by my house makes them better

Will I get laughed at if I use pepperoncini instead of bell peppers? I like them better.

Get an Italian pulled pork with broccoli rabe instead. Cheesesteaks for the meme retards who visit here

My buddy is the most Philadelphia defined guy you'll ever meet, that dude knows every nook and cranny, and would never leave. I went to visit and he insisted that Pat's and Geno's were bullshit cheesesteaks, but ate one from both when it was about 10 degrees out and made us watch before he threw up a little and got into an Uber. He insisted Jim's Steaks was the best.

So we all went the next day, and ordering was like the Soup Nazi. Get it perfect or they look at you like you're an asshole.

Anyways, I got a wiz wit there, and it was fucking amazing. I hated how much I liked it, because I wanted him to be wrong.

Apparently roast pork is better.

Should be made with provolone not fucking cheese whiz.

Jims steaks is ass too. And yes roast pork is better

you have to go outside the city to get the best steaks, imo.
either gaetano's in various south jersey locations or john's steaks in the western suburb of frazer

Why don't cheese steak chains ever seem to last outside of Pennsylvania? It's a simple product to make and everybody's heard of it. With a good location, it seems like it should be a cinch.

Has to be made on a flat top

Has to NOT use garbage fake cheese- Pat's and genos are fake cheese steaks could care less about any history, you don't intentionally ruin food with cheese whiz and pretend it's good

>a "philly"
faggots.
LTO makes it a cheesesteak hoagie, which is a separate thing but still a thing. Yes I know some places add salami to the cheesesteak hoagie but whatever.
>the ones I had I philly were the worst
>I went to all your meme joints
dude you are so cool and you totally know what you're talking about, holy shit. I bet if you opened a stand you could flip a million steaks a day easy
I'm not 100% on the difference between them and banana peppers but any place will have the latter, you put them on after as like a condiment as opposed to cooking them with the steak.
>pulled pork
kek
"nobody in philly actually likes cheesesteaks" is the biggest tryhard meme, fucking kill yourself
no comment on whether roast pork is better, it's a fine sandwich and i love them both.
"wiz ain't real philly" is also a meme but i'll give it a little more credit. some places will tell you they don't serve "goop". a few of the classics (chink's, dalessandro's) just started serving wiz within the last decade. some of them, south philly shitsteaks especially, do work better with wiz and sometimes you happen to be in the mood for it. they wouldn't serve the shit if it wasn't "real philly", it just wouldn't be an option.
That all being said, the boring, un-sexy answer is that there's a lot of ways to do it right. Some places (Steve's Prince) cook it to order in big, thick slabs and some places (Jim's, Dalessandro's) cook up a big pile of confetti steak. It's all "Real Philly". Now there's myriad ways to be inauthentic, you can't just cut a porterhouse like you would off a plate and throw it on some dogshit soft roll. I've seen many crimes against the cheesesteak in my travels. But if you've visited the city and had a few it's not hard to get an idea of what the real deal is.

If you're trying to make it at home, elsewhere, your biggest problems are probably gonna be the rolls and the meat. I don't know what it is but they don't make rolls with the same consistency in other places, with the same bite. It's been said it's cause of the alkalinity of the Schuylkill water but I think that's been debunked. I don't know what to do for ya there. I'm not an expert on actually cooking the things so I don't know if A. you can get steak cut like pic related B. what cut of meat pic related is or C. what to substitute/how to achieve that. Sorry I can't be of more help, just a heads up.

>swiss instead of white american cheese
Like the poor people in South Philly know what swiss or provolone cheese is.

The most important thing and why cheesesteaks suck out side the northeast is the hoagie roll. Sandwiches are simply better in that part of the world.

Second most important thing is to use provolone or maybe American cheese. Only tourists get wiz

Is it served on an Amoroso roll? That's the most important criterion.Then the rest follows--strips of steak, grilled onions, your choice of cheese. That's it. I like Leo's myself, albeit not in the city proper.

But I like pizza steaks more than cheese steaks.

>t. "YOU'VE NEVER HAD A REAL PHILLY!" philly resident

Here, close your eyes and suck the certification out of this hose.

must use the cheapest possible meat
must use halfway stale bread
must use the worst tasting, shittiest cheese-like product possible

perfect food for philadelphia, desu

This is how you judge an unknown place but none of the actually good places in Philly use Amoroso rolls

This. When you get away from Philly the rolls are always what they fuck up the most on cheese steaks and hoagies. Fucking "Italian subs" on giant hot dog buns with italian dressing.

Never been to Leo's. Looks good. Kind of out of the way for me though.

>all these people hating on philly

Philadelphia is a pretty nice city compared to the rest of New Jersey

This is some fucking bullshit they say on the internet that isn't true at all. Broccoli rabe is a different sandwich that is OK, but most people living in Philly haven't even had one, and outside of reviewers on the internet I have never seen a single Philadelphian say they think they're better than a cheesesteak. Mostly because they definitely are not as good as cheesesteak from anywhere competent.

Provolone, wit wit.

Kinda what this guy said:
Philly always will argue about what is authentic and what isn't when it comes to any food. However, I highly suggest no wiz, only provolone and with onions

Filthydelphia is a disgraceful shadow of its former self. Gee I wonder what people group are to blame for turning the city in a ghetto...

>cheese
>steak

The white people, just go to any sporting event.

At least we have real sports fans.

Fuck you

Never said nobody In philly doesn't like cheesesteaks autist. I live here. I'm saying more often than not everyone's tired of cheesesteaks and prefer Italian pork I'm from philly

It must be thrown in the garbage and replaced with a juicy Italian beef.

>any of that instead of handi-snacks cheese that you scoop out and then throw away the crackers

Best cheesesteak ive ever had comes from this shitty little italian joint in north carolina. Its a front for an armenian drug operation and most of the food is crap but for whatever reason their pizzas and cheesesteaks are fucking amazing.

So one time i get my usual cheesesteak with fries and i tell the guy "no ketchup". They put those little packs right in the carry-out box on top of the fries. Not only does this make for gross warm ketchup...i've seen how those packs are stored on the line. No way i want that shit near my food.

Anyway, get the sammich, unwrap the foil. this is gonna be...

What
The
Fuck

They put ketchup on a cheesesteak.
I nearly horfed.

one time my usual pizza place had a new cashier and she added fucking mayonaise that I didn't request to my cheesesteak order

mayonnaise on cheesesteaks is for blacks

>Theres nothing special about me so I stereotype everything so I can pretend like the accomplishments of other white people are my accomplishments

P O R T I L L O S

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
calm down faggot, black people put mayonnaise on cheesesteaks, nothing wrong with it, it's just what they do

>Me being a piece of shit is just a joke bro lighten up!

If you're not in PA east of the Susquehanna you can't say shit about philly cheesesteaks. The meat needs to be made on a flat top and shredded, aside from the normie places that are famous like gino's, most small mom and pop places are pretty split on american or cheese whiz so either is fine. Fried onions and ketchup. Mayo is acceptable.

it's not a joke you fucking dweeb. the default at Max's (the premier black steak shop) is american w/ mayo, peppers & onions, that's the best reason i can come up with as to why it's a thing. it definitely is a thing though.

>walking it back
whatever dude you're throwing a fine sandwich under the bus to look cool and i don't appreciate it

Lol what a woman

Yeah going to temple and observing what people order from the corner stores in north philly this seems largely accurate

I can get this here in South Carolina at Food Lion. It's way better than the frozen steak umms stuff and actual sliced cow meat paper thin. It works fairly well for it without having to cut my own. It is in with all the fresh beef not the frozen aisle.