I want to educate myself, or at least increase my general education Veeky Forums. Where do I start?

I want to educate myself, or at least increase my general education Veeky Forums. Where do I start?

Thank you, appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

historyofphilosophy.net/
gnxp.nofe.me/2017/06/12/books-i-suggest-you-read-so-you-wont-be-misled-as-often/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

listen to this podcast series

historyofphilosophy.net/

Start with the Mongolians

The Greeks

Thank you, I like this.
I like Mongolians!

Should I read the Republic (Plato) ?

Stop masturbating. Start visiting Khan Academy. Read the classics. Use Veeky Forums instead of Veeky Forums. Read primary sources, supplement with secondary. Bible and Quaran. Ignore most contemporary fiction. Meditate and take walks. Move to a big city in your twenties.

You had me going until:
>Quaran
>Meditate

topkek

>/autodidact/ Core Curriculum
/autodidact/ Core Curriculum

-- --

>The Basics of Reading: Nonfiction & Fiction
How to Read a Book – Mortimer Adler
The Art of Fiction – David Lodge

>The Basics of Critical Thinking, Writing, and Learning
Creative & Critical Thinking – W. Edgar Moore (*)
The New Oxford Guide to Writing – Thomas Kane
A Mind for Numbers – Barbara Oakley

>Liberal Arts: The Theoretical Minimum
The Trivium – Sister Miriam Joseph
Pre-Calculus – Carl Stitz & Jeff Zeager
Atlas of World History – Patrick O’Brien
Western Philosophy: An Anthology – John Cottingham (*)

(*) represent things you can't find online.

-- --

When you're done with this list, open up your copy of How to Read a Book and check out Harold Bloom's list of the Western Canon, maybe look at the numerous book charts posted around Veeky Forums, or go to an enthusiast forum to ask for recommendations about a certain topic.

this is slowly becoming an annoying copy pasta.

the truth is not an annoying copypasta, you pokemon manchild
maybe books aren't for you, stick to cartoons

It's just books that I read that I think are helpful. I think it's a good list, and I'd be flattered if it became a copypasta that people followed.

>/pol/

How could you randomly want to start to educate yourself IN GENERAL? That doesn't make any sense. What have you been doing up to now? Avoiding all general education? I don't get it. Why don't you just research what you want to know next? Romans today, theory of relativity tomorrow, history of the EU the next. What is your problem that you can't do it this way? What fucking "start" do you want?

I've been fucking with the wikipedias and researching shit on the web daily for like 13 years and I feel like I know VERY LITTLE but at least I don't want to "increase my general education". What kind of want is that even? Kinda lmaoing my ass off here desu at u bro.

>I've been fucking with the wikipedias and researching shit on the web daily for like 13 years and I feel like I know VERY LITTLE

No wonder,
>Kinda lmaoing my ass off here desu at u bro.

Exactly. So tell me what's the difference betwee us huh? Because the way I see it

One of the two follows his interests. One of the two actually thinks learning new things is fun fun fun. One of the two actually wants to learn. Since he has access to the Internet, lo and behold, he is learning.

While the other *sniff* "wants" to increase his general education *sniffsniff*

I thought it was a funny image. I don't browse /pol/. Anyway, try out my list... if you have the guts for it.

Come on, dude. You know what he meant. The average person is sickeningly uneducated on even the most basic topics that everyone should know.

I hope you cure your autism one day friend.

You're not talking to the OP, try reading actual books instead of "fucking with the wikipedias". This is why you feel like you know very little, wikis contain very little.

>Come on, dude. You know what he meant. The average person is sickeningly uneducated on even the most basic topics that everyone should know.
Well I for one am sickeningly sickened by abstract and whimsical "wants" of people with no character. Because obviously he doesn't want it. If what you said is true and OP felt that way, he would know what to look up and he would have DONE IT TWO HOURS AGO.

But of course he didn't and he won't because he's looking to optimize and get the best bang for his buck. Because he hates learning. Because the only thing that drove him to ask this question is the ridicule of his educated peers. There is no desire for education here. It's a desire for approval.

There I let the cat out of the bag. Sue me.

Are you underage?

I know I'm not talking to OP and I got you the first time around re your little quip. What do you want from me?

I hope you grow a spine one day

I keep seeing this list, and after checking out the first two books, it seems fucking amazing. I've saved it. Thanks user for sharing.

Do you disagree with what I just said?

I'm simply marveling at how juvenile it all sounds

T H E
G R E E K S

Juvenile how? Sorry burger police for my English. Sorry reddit police for breaking rediquette.Does that make what I say wrong?

Juvenile from the random capitalization of words, to the presentation of your interest in knowledge as great heroism. There's lots of dramatization in your posts and some sort of youthful optimism. Fervor instead of smug patronizing usually found on Veeky Forums
All that and your posts boil down to is "go learn on your own", the only advice being to look for stuff on the internet - which by itself speaks of your age. Were you older, you'd perhaps describe books and ways in which you yourself have acquired knowledge instead.

I fucking despise this board Jesus Christ, you either have the pseuds or "the self educated". OP just read anything Christ.

>All that and your posts boil down to is "go learn on your own",
No I'm saying is he would learn on his own if he wanted to learn instead he's flapping his gums because he doesn't want to learn, at least not as an end in itself. OP would have done everyone including himself a favor by revealing his true intentions.

*sniff* poor old OP just wants his general edumacation *sniff*

Give me a break. You know that's bullshit.

> the only advice being to look for stuff on the internet - which by itself speaks of your age
gutenberg.org -- only 18 and under!

>Were you older, you'd perhaps describe books and ways in which you yourself have acquired knowledge instead.
But that would be utterly futile and acting in bad faith/posturing. No, I chose to reveal OP's labile and characterless psyche because I'm the father he never had and you won't shame me into changing nuffin bout muh attitude my man. That last sentence exposes you as the optimistic kid here let's be serious. This is the information age. OP is either cliniically retarded or dishonest and I think we can agree to go with the latter here.

>OP just read anything Christ
That's right!

Only problem: He won't!

OP here, I decided to pick this book because everybody else seemed to be pseuds recommending weird lists or trolls who just post memes and weren't helpful at all, so I went with my gut. Thanks for the advice! I'm sure I'll be "redpilled", as they say among the educated, after reading this book!

You know user, out of all the posts here I think yours is the one that inspired me the most. I too kinda casually browsed wiki and bought random books on things that interested me but overall I wanted what Veeky Forums considered to be a general education. Thank you God Bless

What are you interested in?

Would this be a start from 0 thing?

sorry for recommending a blog post, but with regards to introductory History books, I agree with this post

gnxp.nofe.me/2017/06/12/books-i-suggest-you-read-so-you-wont-be-misled-as-often/

I would recommend An Atlas of World History by Patrick O'Brien before starting this. Comprehensive, detailed, interesting, and covers a wide variety of topics like economics, culture, growth, religion, etc. Lots of visual guides too, which is really helpful for a beginner's intuition.

Read a book nigger

Thank you.

Also, unironically read this shit if you want a "starting from 0" education, assuming that you can still read and do math at a remedial high school level. Most of it is not a fucking meme, and the stuff that is (Trivium) is still a serious investment that increases your thinking abilities, making it worth your time.

>"starting from 0" education
No such thing. OP gon crash and burn boy. Let's be reailstic, just for a second: This is the information age and OP isn't a starving nigger straight outta africa who doesn't know how2in2 anything. He's a lazy clinically depressed waste of space whiteboi and he wants "general education". And he is asking a bunch of other lazy depressed nonentities on an online anime forum known for its deviant permavirgin malcontents populace for advice. Beyond motherfucking redemption my friend.

>cynicism
Sure, but the least we can do is remove the excuse of ignorance. Here's the deal: I'll be the good cop, you can be the bad cop. I'll give him the simple details to keep him occupied, while you'll goad him into actually doing it.

A Mind for Numbers is shit.

Why? It's just a book on how to study/learn effectively for people who have no fucking clue. It's a good book for what it tries to do. If you're starting from 0, it's very helpful.

go to a torrent website

download the great courses mega pack

listen to them while working out, doing chores, and driving

become an ubermensch

cheers for the link

bump

any actual non-shit link for the great courses plis?

sent :^)

>memedalí

been listening to this as an introduction. gone through the presocratics and it was pretty good, now I am going through socrates and plato before I start reading plato's dialogues

"How to read a book" has been completely rewritten by the original author. Which version do I want?

I enjoyed the later version. I don't think it was completely rewritten insofar as it was only give a substantial addition. Either version should be fine.

these guys will tell you to start with the classics but seriously find some books that are similar to genres of movies you like and start light. If you start heavy and look at it as a task rather than as enjoyment you will quickly stop trying and give up. The generals of Sci-fi are a decent place to start.